IGNORED

Why do amateur golfers wear brand name logo hats like compensated endorsed pro's?

B of H
Note: This thread is 4646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

why do people wear NFL Jerseys, things like that.

I wear a nike visor because it fits well. I don't do well with hats, and found that a visor works better. I was a golf shop were it was 30% off, bingo..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wear a Nike hat, but don't play any Nike equipment.  It's a good hat that I got for $20 and keeps my head cool and my thinning patch from getting sunburned.  I can wash it and it stays clean.  The logo doesn't bother me at all.  Some of these apparel items are exclusive material to the company that produces them for sale.  Generic hats may not have access to that material and may cost as much to produce.

I also wear a Boston Red Sox hat.  I don't mind that logo either.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by B of H

I respect your opinion...but it looks like you love to promote brands judging by your avatar and signature.  just  sayin'  :)

I paid $500 for these irons. I love them and want to show them off!

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I paid $500 for these irons. I love them and want to show them off!

I paid more than that for mine.  I love them too, and anyone who wants can look in my bag as see what I play.  But that doesn't mean that I want to wear or carry a billboard that's readable from 2 fairways distant. I don't even have the stock head cover on my driver, just a generic one with no logo of any kind.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by B of H

I don't get it.  You are already paying for your balls and clubs...why promote titleist or whatever as if you are not being paid by them or compensated in some way?

Maybe it's just me but if i'm buying my own clubs/balls etc... then i'm not going to ***** myself out and wear some company logos.  In fact if anyone knows where I can get good quality hats that are blank and similar to the ones they sell with brand logos in pro-shops I might consider having a few made with stuff like 'not for sale' or 'read me' or 'corp golf hats suck' or something.  :)

I have never once in my life looked at someone with a "insert your brand here" hat on and thought about it being an advertisement. Do you also put tape over the "scotty" or the "cameron" on your putter?  Do you have a plain putter cover that has neither "scotty" or "cameron on it? Do you tape the logo and name on your bridgestone irons?  Tape over the aldila rip on your woods?  Perhaps you also sharpie out the name on your golf balls?

Chances are nobody is looking at you anyway.

Per your request:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords;=blank+baseball+caps

I guess it's might be a matter of the times.  When I first started to play, hats bought in a course pro shop almost exclusively had the course logo on them.  Hats with manufacturer logos were given away as promotions, and charged to the company's advertising budget.  Then at some point, they discovered that people would actually pay for those hats and for the privilege of doing the advertising for them.  What a concept - make a huge profit on the hat and still cut the marketing budget.   Maybe we can do it with other stuff too!!!! Now it's nearly impossible to find a ball cap type hat with a course logo and nothing else.... they all have "Titleist" or "Callaway" or whatever.   You usually have to buy an $80 shirt to get a course memento now.

So I choose my stuff with that in mind.  So far I still manage to find good quality items without the marketing crap all over them.

Rick

Like Yukari said.  You answered your own question.  I have the same aversion as you about wearing logo-ed clothing when possible, but I've definitely thought about buying the super breathable trucker style (mesh in the back) hats that many golf companies sell.  I like playing with a hat since I don't like playing with sun glasses but would rather not squint the whole round, and I'd like one that's less hot than a standard baseball cap.  I'd like a mesh one since I can't quite bring myself to wear a visor, but the only other mesh baseball caps I see tend to be kitschy 10 years ago hipster hats, which I also don't have any interest in wearing.  When I'm on a less tight budget I'll probably go ahead and buy one, even though in principle I'd rather not spend my money on apparel that serves as a billboard for the company that made it.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I paid more than that for mine.  I love them too, and anyone who wants can look in my bag as see what I play.  But that doesn't mean that I want to wear or carry a billboard that's readable from 2 fairways distant. I don't even have the stock head cover on my driver, just a generic one with no logo of any kind.

eh...I was kidding.

Why did you swap out the head cover? Was it really to 'stop the advertising' or because you though it was fugly?

Are people really that paranoid about having brand names in their bag? 90% of golfers aren't thinking "OMG look at that billboard"...they're thinking about their game.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

There is a lot of fantasy involved with golf. People like to look like a pro and guys like shopping when it comes to golf gear. Branded hats often have the fit we like and we like the way they look. I totally understand the OP's point, but most golfers actually like the logos and patterns and colours. It gets a bit extreme where every single item is branded from one manufacturer, as if you're aping a tour pro.

It's a fair point, but in the end, we buy what we like, and that tends to be the branded stuff. I don't think people deserve to be criticised for buying a Titleist (or whatever) hat.

It's a win/win. Companies get us to pay for their advertising and we get a hat which we like, for whatever reason.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I don't know about you guys, but Nike pays me to wear Callaway hats.

I'm not too concerned about the logo's or all the "free" advertising I'm giving away.  Value of something is based on what it's worth to someone else.  Since no one is ever going to pay me to advertise their golf equipment, net loss is zero.  I do think the manufacturers should run more promo's where you buy a club or bag you get a free hat rather than have to spend $20+ for one.

B&H;:

Check out a mall store called "Lids", they sell plain hats that you can have anything you want (maybe not profanity) embroidered on the hat.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I kinda like wearing a golf logo hat in public simply because it says I enjoy golf, not so much that I'm promoting any company. And do they even make hats without logos?

eh...I was kidding.

Why did you swap out the head cover? Was it really to 'stop the advertising' or because you though it was fugly?

Are people really that paranoid about having brand names in their bag? 90% of golfers aren't thinking "OMG look at that billboard"...they're thinking about their game.

I changed it out because the original was both ugly and a pain in the butt to put on.  The one I use now has an easy to use magnetic closure.

Rick

You may be surprised how cheap these hats can be.  My buddy got a free Srixon hat (a nice black one) for buying a box of their soft balls at Sports Authority about two weeks ago.  He wears it every round.  Another buddy paid $0.01 for a brown Taylormade hat when he bought a used TM burner rescue at Edwin Watts (buy anything taylormade over $x, get the hat for $0.01), and an acquaintence I play with sometimes wears a Callaway warbird hat he got when he bought the warbird walking bag about four years ago.  Even though I play with a Saints hat usually, I got  a free Titlelist hat when there was a fitting day at my local club, and I got a free "TW" logo visor when I bought a Nike wedge.

There is a promotion now at my local shop for buying two boxes of Bridgestone balls, you get a mail-in coupon for a free cap, and four boxes gets you a mail-in coupon for a free Bridgestone golf shirt.  if you play bridgestone anyway, you arn't turning down the hat or the shirt.

So, I think you would be surprised - not everyone (I would say the minority) is buying hats in pro shops for $20.  Also, being from somewhere very, very hot (South Louisiana - played a round in 95 degree heat this past saturday), people will buy these hats all the time in the pro shop b/c they forget to bring theirs on the trip and you can spend $70 on a miserable, squinty, sunburned round or get a cap for the round.  Most get the cap and, of course, they very rarely are anything but brand logo hats.

I do agree that course hats would be cool.  I'd like a hat that went with my home course.  It might dethrone the Saints lid.

I'm guessing you own a lot of white t-shirts also having what brand of clubs you play in your sig would technically be promoting them.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I'm guessing you own a lot of white t-shirts also having what brand of clubs you play in your sig would technically be promoting them.

I'm just asking why people pay money to do wear something as if they get paid to wear it.  Do nascar fans wear...wait...nevermind.  :)  Maybe it's just a cultural thing, when I was a kid the last thing you wanted to look like is some cheesy pro with logos all over your clothes.  A lot of us gave up on golf shoes even because first generation soft spikes didn't provide much traction over tennis shoes anyway and tennis/athletic shoes looked cooler perhaps and were more comfortable.  I wore cargo shorts, adidas trail running shoes and whatever collared shirt I could find that didn't look like it came from a pro shop back then (in tournaments) and they never had logos.

I think it was posted earlier that it used to be that pro shops had hats with the course logo on them almost exclusively and now it's all manufacturers logos and names.  It's just different.

(I put my clubs in my sig because it seems to come up in threads and I'd rather not type it out everytime)

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Originally Posted by walk18

I kinda like wearing a golf logo hat in public simply because it says I enjoy golf, not so much that I'm promoting any company. And do they even make hats without logos?

I'd like a hat that just said "GOLF".  I'd wear that.  :)

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

People wear logo's of their favorite teams, golf clubs, cars, cartoon character, etc.  Some just like the design, color, team or product the hats represent, but I doubt anyone stops to consider they are offering free advertising to the manufacturer.  Most of the golf hats I've bought are because I forgot mine at home and didn't want sunburn.  If the price is the same I'll pick a hat from a manufacturer whose clubs I own clubs rather than one I don't.

Joe Paradiso

Great way to de-value a car. ( unless he keeps the emblems etc )

You never seen a custom ordered or professionally de-badged car or truck? I think they look fantastic. Our local deal doesn't put any stickers or anything on the car because they said the vast majority of buyers wante them removed.

If I could find nice clothing without logos I'd go that route. I never wear golf brands and all my headcovers are logoless off brands.

If you want to be a billboard, fill your boots, but I'll pass.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!