IGNORED

Persimmon woods?

Note: This thread is 3513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im a horrible slicer but im determined to hit straight tee shots with my driver. Im getting the Cleveland Classic 270 with extra stiff shaft so i can slow down my swing speed and hit straighter tee shots. Im hoping that with a new "pretty" driver it will motivate me to do whatever it takes to master the tee shot.

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

• 2 months later...

I started the game 6 years ago, I m a pure product of the modern gear era. Last summer a non-golfer friend gave me an old persimmon Ben Hogan 4 wood with a stiff steel shaft assuming it was not a pricey present, but only a memorabilia I should be happy to own.

He was just right. After taking few hours sanding it and giving a new tint I brought it to the range. What a surprise! Quite easy to hit and what a whack! I claim I had my actual modern cleveland 5 wood lengths! Averaging 210 meters! The sound is perfect, loud and deep. Amazed by the consistency I decided to give it a go on course. My usual golf buddies laughing at me first, but quickly wanting to try the ancestor!

Well, I did not kept it in the bag, but still use it from time to time on the range. Apparently, the loss compared to titanium head is not as huge as we can imagine. Some says 3 to 5%.

The barely thing to overcome is the manufacturing price, and that was the reason why metal heads were generalized in the 90s.

As often, just a matter of business ruled our way to play a game.

• 1 year later...

I'm so old and beat up and broken at 63 I never thought I'd ever get a driver or fairway wood in my hand that I could hit worth a darn. Now mind you, I don't get more than 220/230 or so from the tee or out of the fairway with these old cobra baffler laminate woods. 230 is a really good drive for me with the 2 wood and 170 to 190 is a good strike for me with the 6 wood.

I know I'm a short hitter. But every par 5 and every par 4 is actually within range if I do my job. I may have to have a great chip onto the green but the short game is at least 75% of the game of golf anyway. Par 72 has 36 putts allowed and 36 non-putts. I don't shoot par or anywhere near it. But I love the game and enjoy every time I get to go and play.

Have had every size wood I believe that has been made but my injuries won't let me get the head speed that is required

These old school woods can be hit off the deck, which is what I prefer on the tee box and right out of the fairway.

So the swing and stroke and hit is identical for me whether or not I'm on the tee or in the fairway. Makes it easy.

From there I hit a 5-7 hybrid and then a 9 and a wedge. I carry a short stack of clubs because I really don't need the problems that arise with 14 clubs. 7 clubs and a putter is all I really need for any course, if I do my job and produce a good swing.

They are heavier. I'm in the process of back weighting my 2 wood with 60 grams of weight to get it closer to the clubs I use and have great success with. I'll know after I try out a Tour Lock weighting system.

I own a club fitter/builder/repair/refurbish company in my retirement and it's a mobile unit. I really enjoy working on all the high tech stuff out there but can't hit it. I'm just old and really am happy these hybrids and old school woods are around. In the 70's that's all there was for the most part, persimmon and laminate woods. The metal/wood style like Lynx Predators are as close to the all wood woods that I ever hit.

Give it a go and if it works for you like it has for me, why not? It's your game to enjoy.

Personally, I think it may have more to do with the length of the club.  I think that today's drivers are way too long for the high capper.  Try hitting your current driver choked down to the bottom of the grip.  It is a lot easier to control.  A lot more center hits too.

I think the pros only average a 42.5" driver.  Why should we use longer?  This will keep golf teachers employed for life!  ;)

Note: This thread is 3513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!