IGNORED

Amateur status and Tour Pro winnings: what happens to the money prize?

ipark1303
Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was following Tadd Fujikawa and I got curious on this issue....

On CNNSI.com, they say: "Had he been a pro, the finish would have been worth about $56,000."

Any suggestions on where the money goes?

In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

I believe he is skipped over when they are figuring the winnings.. If he finished 21st, then the professional who finished 22nd gets the 21st place money and down the line just like that. He is ignored in the prize winnings.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

He is skipped as far as official money goes, like he wasn't there. I am sure though he was given a nice fat gift certificate in the pro shop. Mind you the GC still can't be more than $700.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry my ignorance....

so, let's suppose an amateur wins a major..... he does not get anything from the 1-million and plus 1st prize????

isn't it like you win the lottery and they tell you, sorry you cannot cash the money because you are a student??!?!?!
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Sorry my ignorance....

Again unless you have declared yourself a professional (which by the way is really easy, just say hey I am a pro now) then you are ineligible for any cash prize on the PGA tour. The catch is you must declare yourself a pro or amateur BEFORE the event. So regardless of the place you take in a tournament an amateur cannot receive any money.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

If he had declared himself pro before the event chances are the sponser would not have given him the spot.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

If he had declared himself pro before the event chances are the sponser would not have given him the spot.

He got in by monday qualifying I believe, shooting a 67 for low round, but I bet that he is going to get a lot of sponsors exeptions now if he wants then, the kid can compete, outplayed a lot of pros out there.

Ball in a divot on 3, hits into a lake, double bogie, bogies the next, then bounces back and comes in at 72 . . . that course was TOUGH, windy, long, tricky, you saw the leaders crumble. That's awesome playing.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Again unless you have declared yourself a professional (which by the way is really easy, just say hey I am a pro now) then you are ineligible for any cash prize on the PGA tour. The catch is you must declare yourself a pro or amateur BEFORE the event. So regardless of the place you take in a tournament an amateur cannot receive any money.

really?!?!?! In europe you need to prove that you can play and have the basic knowledge to play the game. Once you have passed all playing tests and classroom time then you receive a PGA card of Germany. Before you get this you are unable to claim yourself as pro status.

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

sorry about that I thought he got a sponsers ex like Wie did.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Tadd won a local country club tournament that was a qualifier.

I am curious though... does his caddie get anything? They should give all the winnings to the caddie. That would be cool.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

really?!?!?! In europe you need to prove that you can play and have the basic knowledge to play the game. Once you have passed all playing tests and classroom time then you receive a PGA card of Germany. Before you get this you are unable to claim yourself as pro status.

There is a difference between being a PGA pro and just a golf pro. Anyone can call themselves a golf pro in fact taking money in excess of $700 makes you one automatically. Make a hole in one, win a car, congrats your a pro now. The PGA program to become a class A PGA teaching pro is a long road including several trips to PGA school in Florida, a playing test and several "workbooks" to complete that rival any correspondence course. It is also fairly expensive, my buddy who is currently working his way through it will end up paying well more than $10,000 by the time he is finished. But you cannot be a head pro at a golf course without your PGA accreditation. Or you can make it on tour and become a PGA pro that way. Most of the guys playing on the mini tours are not PGA professionals.

• 4 years later...
So if Amateur won a PGA OR Nationwide Event which is probably going to happened. At Children's Hospital Invitational Tournament in Colombia Ohio cause starting the final round the final pair is two amateurs if one of them wins will the cash prize just go to the highest pro or possibly to charity? Just wandering if anyone new? The 2 college kids are playing great golf this week. Kid from Georgia is averaging 328yds. A drive over 3 rounds & hasn't had a bogey in last 40 holes. That's impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post
None

Anyone can call themselves a golf pro in fact taking money in excess of $700 makes you one automatically.

Make a hole in one, win a car, congrats your a pro now.

That's incorrect. Per the USGA: http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Amateur-Status/Rule-03/

An amateur golfer must not accept a prize (other than a symbolic prize ) or prize voucher of retail value in excess of $750 or the equivalent, or such a lesser figure as may be decided by the USGA. This limit applies to the total prizes or prize vouchers received by an amateur golfer in any one competition or series of competitions.

Exception: A prize, including a cash prize, for a hole-in-one made while playing golf may exceed the above prize limit.

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

Wedges X-Tour 56* and 60*

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

• Administrator
Originally Posted by hjimzaf

That's incorrect.

That was the rule for decades until it was changed a few years ago , shortly before the post from January, 2007 was made.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Haha! I didn't see how old the thread was. All I saw was that the last post was made yesterday.

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

Wedges X-Tour 56* and 60*

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

Originally Posted by rockytopcamaro

So if Amateur won a PGA OR Nationwide Event which is probably going to happened. At Children's Hospital Invitational Tournament in Colombia Ohio cause starting the final round the final pair is two amateurs if one of them wins will the cash prize just go to the highest pro or possibly to charity? Just wandering if anyone new? The 2 college kids are playing great golf this week. Kid from Georgia is averaging 328yds. A drive over 3 rounds & hasn't had a bogey in last 40 holes. That's impressive!

To answer your question, the first place prize money goes to the highest placing professional so in the case of today on the Nationwide Tour Kyle Reifers collected first-place money of $144,000.

You can go pro easy, the way back is not as easy.

Ones you go pro, you can't compete in amateur matches,

there is no support from the country golf federation or what so ever,

so basicly it's hard for the guy he didn't get the money, for him it's

just good experience that he can compete with these guys, it will not take

long before he goes pro, but than he well have every thing sorted out with

sponsors and other kind off support.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!