IGNORED

How often do you use your 4 iron?

Note: This thread is 4572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I took my 4 iron out the other day just for the sake of hitting it. I hardly ever use it.

I'm looking at getting a new set of irons and I'm not even sure if I should include the 4.

Anyone else finding that your 4 iron just takes up space in the bag?

• Upvote 1

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

I hit my 4 iron a few times a round but only when i'm at that distance out which isn't all that often, I just don't seem to have that distance very often.  I use my 2 and 3 irons a lot more because I use them off the tee on position holes and a few par 3's on every course seem to play between 210 and 240 around here.   Every once in a while on a real windy day i'll have a handful of 4-iron shots into greens on par 4's playing into the wind.

If you don't have to hit a shot that distance very often or don't have confidence in that club then you should ditch it for sure.   If you are buying new clubs and don't hit long irons well then buying them is a waste of money.

• Upvote 1

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

swapped mine for a 23 degree hybrid with a mid flight / mid weight shaft and haven't missed the 4 iron much. 10 more yards, same consistency for me. What would you replace it with?

Founder/President, AroGolf Premium Milled Putters
Titleist 983K 9.5 / Adams Insight 3W / Rotation of hybrids/long irons
Ping i3 Blades White Dot 5-PW / Ping Tour Wedges Green Dot 52, 58
AroGolf iON1 FB BLACK mil-spec putter

Originally Posted by arogolf

swapped mine for a 23 degree hybrid with a mid flight / mid weight shaft and haven't missed the 4 iron much. 10 more yards, same consistency for me. What would you replace it with?

if you get 10 more yards then what do you use in that gap between your 4 and 5?  What is your gap to the next club?  (just curious)  I expect my 4 iron to go 12 yards longer than my 5 iron and 12 yards shorter than my 3 for instance.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

I should clarify, my stock 4h is about the same distance as my 4i - but I feel I can go after it for another 5-10 yards with more consistency with a desirable flight.   It took an adjustment period but the gap is about the same now.  If a specific course calls for a 4 iron, I might put it back in the rotation.

Sending back a request for a quote on some Mizuno JPX 800 Pros 5-PW. Plus checking on how much the single 4 iron would be if I missed it and wanted it back in the bag. haha.

These clubs tested out longer anyways, which would put my 4i a little too close distance wise to my 3h. Plus, 4i and I don't really get along well.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

There you go, those are nice looking sticks.  Now you can start carrying 2 drivers!

I use mine fairly often.  It's my lowest iron (next club is a 3H) and I hit it quite reliably.  Probably most often on par 3s, but I use it a lot for punches out of trouble and fairly often on approaches where I'd rather err short.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I switch between a 4h and 4i depending on the course I'm playing. I like hitting my 4i but I know it's limitations and the 4h gives me the few extra yards when I need it. It's hard to say how much I use it because if I play a course with a lot of 195 to 205 yard par 3s I'd be using it quite often.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I use mine quite about actually these days.  You know how you often read on this forum that high handicappers should just leave the driver in the bag and play a 3w off the tee?  Well, I use that advice, except the 3w for me isn't the bastion of consistency that people make it out to be.  Neither is the 5w...or the 3h (on bad days).  If I'm having an off day I'll leave all woods and wood relatives in the bag and play my 4i off the tee, even if it's a par 5.  It's much better having a really long second shot from the fairway than a really long second shot from the rough after you sliced your tee, provisional, and 2nd provisional into the woods, lost them all, and said screw it and took a drop.  Yeah, I've done that before.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

I actually use the 4i quite often, but that is bc. it just is my longest iron and I am more precise with my irons than with my hybrids, also the distance control is better as there is more variance in the hybrids (is it me?) ..... if at par 5's I like to pinpoint my second shot to a certain landing area (course management) I prefer the long irons above the Hybrids or Fairway woods.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I use my 4 iron fairly often also.  My course has a couple narrow par 5's that I will sometimes hit a 4 or 3 iron off of.  It also has some sort par 4's that I can not reach so I put a ball out there for a wedge in.  There are also some 190-200 ish par three's that it comes out for.  I like my 4 iron, I hit it pretty well and when I catch it pure it feels great.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use mine often seeing as it;s my longest iron. Longer than average 3 irons actually. And longer than my old 3 hybrid.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I switched irons at Christmas, and they came with flighted shafts. Flighted gives you a little boost at liftoff on longer irons, so I have had better luck with 3i and 4i recently.

That said, I will probably drop the 4i out of the bag, and go with 3i, 5i. Difference loft difference between 3i-4i and 4i-5i is only 3*, so I will probably lengthen 5i 1/4 inch and leave 4i in trunk. Having trouble with distance compression down in 3* land.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

4 iron is probably in play 2-3 times each round. Either on a long par 3 or 4....I hit it about 200-205....my next option is an adams 3 hybrid which is a reliable 220....the problem lies when I'm in between 210 and 220 and have to decided between stepping on the 4 or feathering the 3h....I usually try to step on the 4 and end up just short - when i lay off the 3h I generally end up pulling it left - not sure why...

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

It is my 200 carry club or I use it into the wind from 180.  Either way it probably sees action once or twice a round.  I hit my 3h 215.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Mine sees action a couple times a round.  I feel like this is totally dependent on your distances and the courses you play often.  On my home course there's 2-3 par 3s (depending on the wind) that call for my 4i.  Generally I find there are a couple par 3s on many courses that call for a carry of 195 or so, which is about what I hit my 4i off the tee or fairway.

Personally I'd be careful dropping it.  Most courses I play don't have super punitive rough, but I've found that when the rough is thick and hard to hit out of, my 4i is much easier to hit than my 2h (my only hybrid).  On courses with thick rough, I'd be unhappy to have to choose between 5i out of the rough distance and hitting with a hybrid out of the rough if I drive a par 5 into the thick stuff.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 4572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!