IGNORED

How Often Do You Practice & What is Your Practice Routine?

WPLga
Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you mostly boom drivers on the range or do you have a set routine to practice your entire game? What about putting practice?

I hit balls in my garage almost every day. Once or twice a week, I go to a local course and work on my short game. At least half the time someone leaves range balls on the chipping green or there'll be a half empty bucket on the range and I'll hit those. Lately my putting practice has been 6-10' putts as I have not been making enough of those. Also alway start out with 3' putts to warm up. There is a 9 hole course close to me at a private university that I go to sometimes and when it's not busy I can hit multiple balls from different distances as much as I want. The greens are small and not in very good shape so I rarely do much with the short game there, but it's great for working on the driver and irons.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

These days, I never go to the range. I do, however, swing a club in my house at night for something like a collective 2-3 hrs per week. I have a mirror to check grip and positions. I also putt in my office every day during the week.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Sometimes range time to let out stress, never work on mechanics during times like that though. Just 30 or so balls to get a feel for the swing, work through all my clubs never swinging the same one twice.

Mostly work on short pitches, chipping, and putting in terms of practice. Wears on the body less.

I may just buy a net and a practice mat soon though. Swinging at a ball at home sounds like fun.

Lately i've been going to the range and hitting balls  + practicing short game almost every day. I don't really have a set routine, I like to hit balls first though I start with some short pitches. I work my way down through my clubs, hitting every other club or so. I work on what I think I need to work on and then generally hit some shaped shots and some distance control. Short game I do lots of different things. Sometimes I hit just one ball putting/chipping and go get it every time and move to a new place, sometimes I hit a bunch from one spot, sometimes I open my shag bag and throw balls all around so each shot is different.

Unless I'm working on something specific that I know I need work on I kind of just do random things covering all aspects of my game so that they all stay sharp.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends. My "normal" routine starts with about 10 min of chipping and pitching each, then I tack my GW, two irons at least two numbers apart between PW and 7i, a hybrid, and my driver. I generally hit about 5 to 10 balls with each before switching. If I have a certain club I need to work on, though, I'll sit and drill that club and only pick two others to work on for a little. I've found that working on just one club is a great way to get behind in the others, and I pull my hybrids and driver so often that it doesn't pay to not practice with them. I have a putting routine of consisting of starting with 3-footers, moving to 15-footers, and then moving to 30-footers.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

funny thing about today is the club pro approached me and told me I am one of 6 people in the entire club who practices the most

to me, that was a huge compliment

I had no clue people would notice something like that

I'm usually at the range 2 or 3 times a week, usually getting in 1 or 2 rounds

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

I buy a $50 range card almost every month. If I use it correctly (Double balls after 6pm on weekdays and after 3 on weekends) I can make it go a long way. I hit 100-200 balls about 3 times a week. And any chance I get I'm practicing short game and putting, so I find myself at the golf course at least 4-5 days a week. I play at least 9 holes a week, too.

I get a range membership at our course, dirt cheap. As a teacher and coach spring sports I don't get a lot of time to play so mainly, I don't practice in the beginning of our season. School is out next week and I will then be spending probably 3 hours a day practicing plus playing 18 holes almost every day, my goal this year is a single digit handicap. Last year I didn't practice to much, an hour a day maybe. As the golf coach most the kids play all summer so it's not official practice but we spend a lot of time doing it and I practice right along with them, at least till the season officially starts.

I practice 5 days a week, for around an hour 30 to 45 a day, unless I play that day, or I might get hit by lightning.  I am pretty dedicated to accelerating my progress as it's my third season and my game has come a long ways.  I think I'm at a point where more experience in play is what I need, but it's tough to get out there for 18 on a regular basis.  One day, when I can afford that membership on a lightly played track.  I practice with the intent to make sure only the shot I want, is the one that comes out, and making sure I can deal with what isn't before it gets out of hand.  With the range membership, I'll take out 2 buckets.  Warmup with the full swing, hit a couple different irons, then go short game for half an hour or so.  Then I'll go back to full swing and those longer short game shots on the range, then go put for a while.  Depending on how my ball striking is, I'll either finish out the pile to try to dig something good out, or I'll be satisfied and leave it and go short game and putt to finish.

I rarely practice anything below my 8 iron. I usually spend 45 minutes chipping and putting, then about a half hour on the range. Mostly working from 8 iron to SW. The scoring clubs are definitely the most important if you're looking to hit to reduce your score, granted you can keep your driver and low irons in play...Lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I hit a bucket of balls. start out with the 3/4 hyrbids, work my way up to the mid and scoring irons. then hit my 3wood/driver. After the bucket is gone. I then proceed to the chipping area. I practice putting for 20ish min. The practice bump and runs from everywhere. My home course has like a pretty big chipping area where you can practice 50yd+ approaches as long as the green isnt filled with people practicing putting, obviously. Then I end my day with hitting different approach shots from 20-50ish yards away.

I get a large bucket....about 110 balls....and I alternate between 'even' and 'odd' irons each practice to minimize club wear a little bit....

My basic routine is this:

1. Stretch
  2. Warm up with PW or 9I
  3. 'Up through the bag': Each club - PW/8I/6I/4I/Hybrid/3W/Driver - Trying to hit one just 'solid', one draw, one fade per club. Sometimes more depending on what I'm working on and how I'm swinging that day.
  4. 'Big draws and fades': Taking 3I/4I and 7I/8I and working on hitting pretty big, shaped shots
  5. Full wedges: Usually only a few
  6. "110 yard drill": I pick a target and hit different irons in my bag to hit, trying to work on distance control, feel, draw and fade, etc. This is a feel and contact drill for me, and a great way to end my practice sessions
  7. Short game work: I do most of this at my home course before and after rounds, but sometimes at my range I go over to the short game area and do bunker work or some other wedge stuff

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I do different things depending on how long I have and what needs work in my game, but some things stay the same. First I always spend at least 75% of my time on chipping, putting and wedges. Short game is where it is at. Secondly I always practice with purpose. I never "beat balls" I have an exact plan that I want to accomplish or something specific I want to work on, i.e. ball flight, shot shaping, something specific in my game that needs work, etc. Lastly, I like to go out on the course late in the afternoon and practice there. I work at a golf course so that's easier for me to accomplish, but you learn how to play golf on the golf course not on the driving range.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Right now I go to the range 3-5 times a week.  I will hit driver at most 5-10 balls per bucket.  My problem is my irons, so that's what I work on.

I never work on my short game.  The things I work on least (driving, chipping/putting) are the strongest parts of my game right now despite never working on them.  The irons are another matter entirely.

Mostly I practice the impact position drill as well as some half or slow-motion shots with a short iron.  Trying to work on the proper impact position and less of a flipping motion.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Twice a week of practice if I can make it, usually play once a week.

I actually have been lacking range time the last month - busy with other things....but my scores have been getting better regardless. Practice pays off big time.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Since I work from a home office, I hit most every day unless it's raining and nasty outside. I mow my yard and my field so that I can hit short irons to the "green" about 80yds out. By changing where I start out in the yard, I can practice 7, 8 and 9 irons. Or I take the 9 out to the green and hit a bucket of balls back into the yard, trying to get as many as possible into the 12' diameter soft-side pool we have.

I also take various wedges and pitch around the yard various distances, aiming for different targets. I really need to make a putting green... and cut down some trees for a longer fairway! I do go to the range once in a blue moon as well, but I think I learn more at home, especially how to hit out of a crummy lie.

Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!