IGNORED

Honestly, I hit it long

gjsuicide
Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have on occasion smacked the ball a bit over 300. Acctually measured it with a golf buddies gps system. I can not say that I average 300 though, Maybe maybe 280-285

Originally Posted by LaMaR-

I have on occasion smacked the ball a bit over 300. Acctually measured it with a golf buddies gps system. I can not say that I average 300 though, Maybe maybe 280-285

That average seems a bit high for only hitting the occasional ball "a bit over 300". I'd guess closer to 260 - just thinking out loud though.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The longest drive I've hit was in the 290s (verified with my laser).  I've driven the same 282yd short par 4 at my old home course three times... once rolling it 3/4ths of the way through the green and past the pin.  All that said, my "average" drive is probably closer to 240yds and my average swing speed is around 95mph.

Just about anyone can hit the ball 300yds once with the right conditions and perfect timing, but to say you actually drive the ball around 300 is a totally different story.

• Upvote 1

I play in a league with about 50 guys with varying handicaps ranging from scratch to 30.  There are probably 5 guys (including myself) that average their drives 300+  yards.  I'm only 5'9" 185 pounds, but i do have quite a fast swing speed and i am the most confident with my driver out of any club in my bag.  But I don't find it that hard pressed to think that a lot of guys on here can consistently hit the ball 300.  10% of my league does and this website has people all over the country so I'm sure quite a few of you guys hit the ball that far.  I don't find it that hard to believe with the advancement in drivers, balls and shafts.

4 years ago i used to average about 260 yards off the tee.  I hit the ball VERY high into the air with a stock stiff flex shaft.  I mean i got backspin on some drives.  So i went to a dicks sporting goods and asked the pro what i needed to do to get my trajectory down.  Well we did the whole swing speed thing and he checked my launch angle with the computer and he fitted me with a shaft that more fit my swing speed and sure enough I gained 40+ yards to my average driving distance and my launch angle went way down.

First like someone else said "It's not how far its how many"

That being said, I have laughed at some people on this forum that seem to inflate their driving prowess.

BUT people do exist out there that are not on Tour, that hit the ball very far, averaging 300 or more. I play with someone who averages over 300 yards every time I play.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Id would have to agree that there are a lot of people out there that average over 300 i dont have a handicap just play for fun 2,3 times a week but hit it over 300 almost every time i use my driver checked with gps!! and 4 of the holes at my local course are just over 300 yards and although im not on the green 9 times out of 10 i am pin high or past, dont know my swing speed never had it checked i play with a burner superfast 2010 model 9.5 reg flex im 5.9 185 pounds average build. At the range ill carry 290+ every time with my driver unless i mishit it it will still carry 260+ if i use real golf balls not the crap range ones I will carry 310+ almost every time and im not exaggerating, distances are clearly marked at the range. Though i havent seen any body at the range hit it as consistently far as me im sure there is a large portion of of the population that can hit it 300+ on average im just an average jo with no lessons no handicap and can do it, although i do go to the range 3, 4 times a week and play a lot for someone not joined to any club playing golf only past 4 months.

If you hit it that far I would suggest putting AT LEAST a stiff shaft, but with those numbers would say you need X Stiff

Originally Posted by burner 300

Id would have to agree that there are a lot of people out there that average over 300 i dont have a handicap just play for fun 2,3 times a week but hit it over 300 almost every time i use my driver checked with gps!! and 4 of the holes at my local course are just over 300 yards and although im not on the green 9 times out of 10 i am pin high or past, dont know my swing speed never had it checked i play with a burner superfast 2010 model 9.5 reg flex im 5.9 185 pounds average build. At the range ill carry 290+ every time with my driver unless i mishit it it will still carry 260+ if i use real golf balls not the crap range ones I will carry 310+ almost every time and im not exaggerating, distances are clearly marked at the range. Though i havent seen any body at the range hit it as consistently far as me im sure there is a large portion of of the population that can hit it 300+ on average im just an average jo with no lessons no handicap and can do it, although i do go to the range 3, 4 times a week and play a lot for someone not joined to any club playing golf only past 4 months.

Kip

“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course--the distance between your ears.“ -Bobby Jones

TaylorMade R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* w/Aldila RIP 70-X TaylorMade V-Steel 15* w/MAS Ultralite 65-X Titleist AP2 3-P upright 0.5* w/ Project X 6.0 +1" TaylorMade Rac TP 52* 8* bounce Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 11* bounce, 60* 7* bounce Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5

Distances might be clearly marked on the range but that doesn't mean they are right. Also  doesn't tell us if the range is downhill or has a consistant tail wind. There are similiar issues with measuring using course markings where you don't really know the 2 points they measured from.   I am not saying you don't hit it a long way but that long way could easily be 260.

I'll just go ahead and say it...im a doubter. I'm 18 years old and i hit my driver around 290-300 yards. I've played with nearly everyone at my club (couple of hundred members) and maybe only 5 hit it as far as i do...and two of those are mini tour players.

• Upvote 1

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!  You're gonna need to step up your troll game around here.  Famousdavis has raised the bar, and you're falling way short.

Like people claim, they say they can hit it 300, that doesn't mean they average 300.

I use to average around 300 through out the year, less in the spring, more in the summer. I lost about 15 yards loosing some weight, dropping 50 lbs, thats alot of mass not there, i had a huge lateral shift, big turn, and pull the ball. So i would aim 30 yards right and tear into it. I would hit bombs, but it wasn't sustainable. So i lost weight, worked on my swing, now i can use my core muscles and hit a more consitant ball in the center of the clubface, i can get it out there 300 if i want. Sometimes more if the stars align.

I would have to agree, i have known maybe 2-3 people over the years who are long or longer hitter than me. One is close, i play golf with him every week, he's about a 280-285 average guy, who can get an occassional 300. I am more of a 290-295 guy now. But still can hit one out there if i really torque it.

But i wouldn't say i average 300 anymore, honestly i dont need it. Especially now with my new 3-wood, i am thinking of having it adjusted to take it from a 15 degree to a 14.25 degree loft. That thing is a monster.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6'1" tall, 190 lbs.

Average 260-270.

I'd much rather be 250 in the fairway then 280 in the rough :P

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Depending on the hole.  If it's a par 4 and I'm left with 200 in the fairway or 170 in the rough I might take the rough.

Originally Posted by right handed phil mickelson

6'1" tall, 190 lbs.

Average 260-270.

I'd much rather be 250 in the fairway then 280 in the rough :P

In the past 25 years I've played with a lot of players who hit farther than I did. Not on every hit, but yeah, there are a lot of really long hitters out there. Just not necessarily playing at the courses the majority of the charter members of The Royal Order of Cynical Short Knockers represented here tend to frequent.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

280 in the rough, or 250 in the fairway. What rough are you talking about and how far off the fairway. If its 280 just in the rough, not behind trees, ect.. Then i would take 280, just because 30 yards is nearly 3 clubs in distance. For a hole, that could be a wedge or 9-iron compared to a 7-iron. Which from the rough, still able to get it close.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Just not necessarily playing at the courses the majority of the charter members of The Royal Order of Cynical Short Knockers represented here tend to frequent.

I don't lend that theory much credence.  That said, if these magical clubs exist where the average driver is longer than the average tour pro, I'd like to play a few rounds there and gauge the difference.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I don't lend that theory much credence.  That said, if these magical clubs exist where the average driver is longer than the average tour pro, I'd like to play a few rounds there and gauge the difference.

Brandon

First off, let's take the controversial number "300" and shred it to bits.

I'm talking about guys who don't believe any amateur can hit over 280 - ever - let alone have a driving average greater than the shortest PGA professional.

Second, people who earn a living playing golf can lose money, and a lot of it, when they hit the ball OB or behind a shrub. Joe Average Hacker doesn't suffer much of a penalty other than slowing down his group or losing his ball. A lot of long hitting amateurs swing for the fence on every drive regardless of the consequence. Basically, a pro tries to hit his tee shot to a specific distance. Often an amateur just tries to hit his driver "as far as humanly possible". The professionals always have more distance in reserve (little guys like Faxon, Crenshaw, Kite, Pavin and Gay probably not - but I'm just saying).

Thirdly, if people think the only advantage the pros have is distance then those people probably don't know very much about golf.

It's all pretty relative since I can't hit my 3i as far as the pro's can either.  Here are some overall average carry distances I found for PGA players.

Listed below are the PGA Tour average "carry" distances in from over the last 4 seasons:

Driver 260 yards / 238 meters (Total Driving Distance - about 287.3 yards)
3-Wood 238 yards / 218 meters
5-Wood 223 yards / 204 meters
15-18* Rescue 218 yards / 199 meters
3-Iron 203 yards / 186 meters
4-Iron 189 yards / 173 meters
5-Iron 181 yards / 166 meters
6-Iron 169 yards / 155 meters
7-Iron 160 yards / 146 meters
8-Iron 149 yards / 136 meters
9-Iron 136 yards / 124 meters
PW 122 yards / 112 meters

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!