IGNORED

Does anyone use a 5 wood anymore?

Note: This thread is 3667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I carry a 4W (16.5*) and a 7W (21*) . The model's 5W is only 1.5* less loft than the 4W, just too much overlap.

I also use a 4H (22*), which launches a bit lower than the 7W. The 7W is longer, is better out of deeper rough, or when you have an uphill target.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't for a while. I no longer own a 5W, but do have a 21* Olimar Tri-Metal low profile, which I believe would equate to a 7W. I sometimes carry a persimmon 4W and interchange it with a 4H. Occasionally will swap out the 4W with my 1 iron which I can hit fairly decently.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Yes,  I game a 18.5 5 wood, which I can adjust to 17 of loft - it's at 42.5 inches. Today's fairways differ greatly. With cupfaces or slots, they go longer, some have lower trajectory. Some act like a 4 wood.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Still keep mine in the bag. It comes in handy- see: http://thesandtrap.com/t/69006/one-of-those-days I still find it's better out of the semi rough than a hybrid. I can get a high soft landing shot from just about anywhere. Plus- I can work the ball either direction most of the time. It also is a good green side chipping club off of the stringy not quite fairway, not quite fringe lies. Similar to what Dufner did over the weekend on the couple of holes near the end.

I'm more likely to put a high flying 7wd which head is somewhat compact, than take out a 17.5-18.5 club. I'm more likely to take out a 3-4H.

One reason I am looking at the Tight Lies 2013 when they're available.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I still own a 5 wood but don't carry it anymore. My game has dropped off this season and I took it out of my bag and put a new wedge into it. If I can regain my sub 10 handicap I may opt for a 5 wood again so I don't have a gap in my distance from range. To be honest though, I don't see it going back in my bag, my game is really coming together now with 4 wedges. The distance and forgiveness that I've lost without a 5 wood isn't hurting my game that much so I don't see a large benefit in adding it back to my bag.

Absolutely

4h/24 ~ 210

5w/19 ~225

3w/15 ~ 260

(all Nike VR Pro, Diaman Ahina S shafts on the woods, ProjX 6 on the hybrid (darn) - I think those are 2 generations before the coverts?)

that hybrid is a great transition from those fairway woods and my irons.  I'll use my fairway woods in pretty much any lie, just like my 4h

these are my most favorite clubs to hit - all of them.  the feel and sound are fantastic and I have a lot of confidence in them.  I guess i could demo the 3h or 2h (both are sitting in the clearance rack at golfsmith last time I was there), but I have no issues with my 5w.

I STILL can't seem to hit my 4i consistently, so it sits in the guest bedroom with the other castoffs

Bill - 

Why 3-iron? According to your signature you carry a 7-wood. What is your distance difference between the 7-wood and 3-iron?

I hit the 3 iron a little further than the 7 wood. I carry a different mix of long irons and fairway woods depending on course conditions and wind conditions. 5 and 7 wood fly too high in windy weather. Same with wedges...I leave the lob wedge out if the fairways are dry and hard which is not uncommon in the summer here.

Have a 5W, it has yet to come out of the bag this year, saving it for a special occasion I guess. You guys are nuts, hybrids are the ultimate club. My 3h bombs the ball out of any lie and is my "go to" club.

I game the Callaway X-hot 5W and love it.  I hit it three times yesterday off the tee, and found the fairway all three times...  It's clutch when you need that 220 to 230 yard shot and have trouble left, right or both sides of the fairway.

Back in the persimmon days I carried a 5 wood and couldn't play without it. I had a Hogan 5 wood that cracked one day, and I went looking for a metal wood (this was in the early 90's) to replace it. I wound up with a Taylor Raylor in 16*--more of a 4 wood. Most days it is still in the bag. There is almost a little overlap with it and my 20* 3 hybrid, so I don't need anything in between. I have a nice persimmon 5 wood and when I play my vintage bag, I would probably be better off to put it in the bag and drop the 1 iron, but I keep that 1 iron for the 2 times out of 10 I hit it really well, lol. Also, although my Ram Tom Watson persimmon 5 wood looks virtually unhit, the wood is a little proud from age next to the insert. If I hit it on the toe it would mess that up. I am thinking of sending it to have refaced, but it also has the original green Victory grip and thinking of just keeping it as is.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

Yes.  I am much more consisant with my FW woods than any hybrid.  I carry a 5 and 7 wood right now.  I switch out my 3 wood and 5 wood depending on how I'm hitting it and course conditions.

+1

I find that I don't get the height I want with hybrids below 20*.  I can get fairway woods to land softly with a little more distance on average.  And when I miss thin, fairway woods can still get enough loft so that the shot is not too damaging to my score.  I am working to improve my consistency and hope to put a 15.5* 3W in my bag eventually.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I carry a 3w, 5w and 7w.  And something like a 9w in place or my 4 iron.  I have tried hybrids to replace any or all or these but they never seemed to work as well for me, nor were they ever as consistent for me.  I had dropped out the 3w for a while but its back and hitting well.  And I will quickly use it off the tee if the driver is at all wild that round.

Note: This thread is 3667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!