IGNORED

Ferrule Issue - I think it's loose.

Note: This thread is 3734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the ferrule is loose in my Nike DyMo. I can't move it with my hand, but I know it's moved from where it usually is over the head. It has done this a few times before and I've been able to get the Roger Dunn shop to put it back, but it seems to happen every 2-3 rounds these days. The club is not a STR8-FIT, so it isn't that issue. Here's a picture first: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Gqe0e.jpg[/IMG] Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Is it something I should worry about? If it's just cosmetic, is there some easy fix for it? I don't like the regularity with which I ask the golf shop to fix this, although I am glad that they don't charge me for it. If it's something to worry about, should I replace it or go for some other method of fixing it? If I do need to fix it (easy or otherwise), what sorts of equipment will I need to make the fix? I'm not particularly handy, but I want to eventually get into at least being able to do simple club repair and re-gripping.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Run it under hot water for 20 seconds or so and scoot it back where it belongs.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Run it under hot water for 20 seconds or so and scoot it back where it belongs.

^^^This.  And I would drip in a small amount of either 2-part epoxy or some super glue so that it actually has something to bond to that prevents it from sliding up the shaft again.

Running it under water won't cause me to get water into the head itself, or the shaft? And I can just move it with my fingers?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I was always told to never submerge that particular area in water ever.. It just doesn't sound like the right thing to do. But I don't know any better...

My R9 460 comes loose like that every so often also.. i just scoot it forward. I'd throw a touch of glue before i watered it down.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

The same thing has happened to my Dymo2 driver (also happened to a 907D2 driver). I've ignored it until reading this post. Is there a performance decrease b/c of this?

I doubt there's a performance decrease. I noticed this on the range before the last time I played, but then left the day after for two consecutive business trips, so I didn't get around to asking about it. In any case, I hit the driver better than I ever have last round in terms of distance (although I lost some sizable accuracy). That having been said, maybe I could have hit it better with the ferrule in the right place. Or maybe it's psychosomatic. I don't really know.

-- Michael | My swing! 

One note of caution.  Most likely, the ferrule has slipped up the shaft, but it could also mean that the clubhead has slipped down the shaft (the epoxy has broken) and will soon come flying off.  Make sure your clubhead is still securely tight by grabbing it and trying to twist it.

Not that this happens very often, but it could.  I was playing one day, and hit my pitching wedge, then noticed that the ferrule had separated from the clubhead.  I thought, like you did, that the ferrule was what had slipped.  On my next swing with the wedge, I found out differently!

I can't possibly see any way that running water over that area could cause any damage.  It's..... well, water.  If water damages that area, I might never wash or play them in the rain ever again! Unless there is just one sliver of epoxy bonding the shaft to the I.D. of the hosel, there is not going to be any water getting into the hosel area.  Run it under warm water, blow it off, drop some glue in there and slide it down.  But like Harmonious said, look to see if maybe the exopy has broken it's bond and the shaft is pulling out.  Shouldn't be too difficult to tell if that's happening.

Otherwise, with few exceptions, the ONLY purpose of the ferule is to make a nice clean looking transition from the hosel to the shaft.  Purely cosmetic.

If there is fear of getting water down the shaft, you might be able to use a hair dryer to heat up the ferrule.

Interesting you mention that... I've seen something at the golf shop that resembles a hair dryer. Maybe it is one?

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Shindig

Interesting you mention that... I've seen something at the golf shop that resembles a hair dryer. Maybe it is one?

Heat guns are good for a few things, first of which might be loosening or softening tape underneath the grips. Multi-use tool, but most of the time I see it used for grip tape. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Heat guns are good for a few things, first of which might be loosening or softening tape underneath the grips. Multi-use tool, but most of the time I see it used for grip tape. :-)

Alright, that's next on my shopping list after the camera. Heat gun... I guess at Home Depot (or equivalent).

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 years later...
Note: This thread is 3734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!