IGNORED

My Club Chamiponship is this weekend

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This will be my first big stroke play tournament. I am playing from the tips (6800 yds) and there is no handicapping. There are 2 or 3 guys who are leaps and bounds better than I am, but I really want to see how I stack up. I could play in the net club championship, but I'd rather give the "real deal" format a try. 3 rounds, Friday/Saturday/Sunday. I am kinda nervous and very excited. Ill update this after my rounds this weekend.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

good luck...just play your game and don't let a bad shot or bad hole get you down.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Im thinking of writing on my index finger of my glove "play your game"...

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Think positive for four hours, it's hard to do but it can be done.

I am playing this weekend as well in my county championship.  Good event and I have a good shot at it.

We'll impart some mutual mojo on one another.

GOOD LUCK!!!  PLAY WELL.

Originally Posted by ND Fan

Think positive for four hours, it's hard to do but it can be done.

I am playing this weekend as well in my county championship.  Good event and I have a good shot at it.

We'll impart some mutual mojo on one another.

GOOD LUCK!!!  PLAY WELL.

Good Luck to you too!

Kyle Paulhus

Playing my practice round this afternoon. Greens are in fantastic shape and the intermediate rough is starting to grow in.

Kyle Paulhus

Shot a 76 today in my practice round. Ready for Friday to get here!

Kyle Paulhus

Stroke or Match play?  I'm assuming from your posts that it's stroke.

If a club has an obvious good, consistant low handicap golfer, they will always be hard to beat over 3 rounds of stroke play. If there are are 2 or 3 etc... who are close, they will duke it out amongst themselves.  We used to only have stroke play Club Champs but the same guy won 12 years in a row.  5 years ago we switched to match play. He has won 2 out of the 5 years.  Now we have both formats.

Match play at least lets a lot more golfers have a legit chance of winning.  One golfer who is by far better than everyone else should win every year in 3 days of stroke play.  One or 2 bad holes in 54 can throw a guy right out of it in a split second.

But, play well. Have fun it's just a game.

We have a match play tournament as well. This was the Stroke Play. Our champion has won it before and shot a 3 day total 1 over par. This was my first important tourney and they really really had the course playing tough. I shot a 89 Friday and Saturday. Went out this morning and just tried not to finish last out of 12 guys. I shot a 77 and drank beer the entire round. Ended up passing 3 guys to finish 8th overall. It wasn't my best performance, but it set the bench mark for next year.

Kyle Paulhus

First off sounds like you had fun and really in the end and down the road that's all that matters.

Second, this is exactly what I'm saying...you had a guy shoot one over for 3 rounds.  Unless you had someone else shoot pretty damn close to that none of you hold a chance of beating this guy. Hell, 3 rounds of one over par and you would have lost by 2 shots.  I would guess this guy's handicap is at least a +1 shooting scores like that.  It's better than scratch that's for sure. No 3 handicap is going to beat that over 3 days ever. Well, hardly ever.  One round you can do it, maybe 2, 3 is likely never.

That's why match play for club champs is so much more fun. Instead of one guy having a 99.999% chance of winning, 8 out of 12 guys (at least) have a chance. At least somewhat of a chance.

Now our matchplay champ is the true club champ, the stroke play champ does not really get talked about. In fact we didn't even have the stroke play championship this year. Nobody cares that one member can shoot 1 over for 3 days.

We have a very close group of guys who play every Friday-Sunday and everyone knows where everyone stands, handicap-wise. I was an 8 going into the tournament, and also the highest index. Our Champion is a 0.3 handicap, and there were 5 other guys under a 3.5. With that being said, he still won by 20 shots. He lost in the second round of match play this year to the eventual winner(a 1.7 handicap). I lost in the 3rd round.

We all knew going into the tournament that there were 3 guys who could walk away with it, and our Champion took the reigns and never looked back.

Kyle Paulhus

I can feel your pain.....

I was in your shoes!!  Back in the '90s....I had a private course membership.  I was always just good enough to get stuck in the championship flight........and eat their dust.  LOL

Been there/done that......Hahaha...I can relate to your club champ/ woes.....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Bumping this thread as this weekend is my second club championship tournament. I'm going to play in my flight this year instead of playing in the championship flight. There are several 2 and under handicap guys, so I don't stand a chance at this point. Might as well try to win my flight.

Kyle Paulhus

Remember my first tournament.  Was a nervous wreck and played like it.  Was a great experience though because just casual rounds became much easier.  Have not played a tournament in 4 years.  My game has just been too inconsistent.  That said, I need to get back out there and test it against good competition again.

Bumping this thread as this weekend is my second club championship tournament.

I'm going to play in my flight this year instead of playing in the championship flight. There are several 2 and under handicap guys, so I don't stand a chance at this point. Might as well try to win my flight.

Good luck!  Our club championship runs over Labor Day weekend, 3 days of matches.  I'm in the same boat as you, playing in the first flight, not the championship.  Between now and then, we have the first round of our inter-club league playoffs.  And of course, the Big Event, starting 9/10!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I figured I would take baby steps this year and try to win my flight. As my game improves maybe next year Ill battle in the Championship flight.

Kyle Paulhus

Well count me in your corner, I'm hoping you win.  It'll help ease the pain you'll feel in September. :-P

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!