IGNORED

Feherty's Show...

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 4675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had the opportunity to see the Feherty show with Lee Trevino.

Thought Feherty did a good job of making this format interesting and enjoyable.

He seems to be a true character. I don't think you can fake that.

What do you think?

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

when he has such an interesting guest as Lee Trevino, whom we could spend the entire evening listening to, TGC could have made more of it than they did.

That was my beef, and it worked against Feherty, Trevino and the audience. The opening segment was abysmal, and the standup skit and man on the street portion not much better. Feherty is great when he can play off someone else's words. He's not a monologue guy or even a skilled golf commentator. As someone posted earlier, he's not informative on the course.

For this show to thrive Golf Channel needs to begin the interview portion almost immediately and allow Feherty to relax in his best role, listening and pouncing with an occasional humorous quick twist. After this episode I was left wondering how a full hour passed with so little input from Trevino. The promos seemed to promise detailed analysis of Tiger's swing, and Trevino's suggested remedies. Instead, we got a quick tease then literally nothing until the final 5 minutes. Feherty is a surprisingly good interviewer. I thought we'd be treated to Trevino's rapid fire opinions on one player after another, plus the state of the game, and equipment issues, and course setup, and so forth. When the clock neared 11 PM I was near disbelief, "That's it? What a waste."

I like Feherty!  I enjoy his golf broadcasts; I don’t look for him to be that “informative”.   He let’s you know what club the guys hitting, and I can see the rest.

I hate Johnny Miller, he is a pompous A$$.  I love how he tells you the put is going to break about eight inches…or “most guys have been leaving it short.”  He doesn’t have a clue, he is being feed the results of the putt or the stats through his ear piece and is passing it off like he has done hours of on the course work.

Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger

That was my beef, and it worked against Feherty, Trevino and the audience. The opening segment was abysmal, and the standup skit and man on the street portion not much better. Feherty is great when he can play off someone else's words. He's not a monologue guy or even a skilled golf commentator. As someone posted earlier, he's not informative on the course.

For this show to thrive Golf Channel needs to begin the interview portion almost immediately and allow Feherty to relax in his best role, listening and pouncing with an occasional humorous quick twist. After this episode I was left wondering how a full hour passed with so little input from Trevino. The promos seemed to promise detailed analysis of Tiger's swing, and Trevino's suggested remedies. Instead, we got a quick tease then literally nothing until the final 5 minutes. Feherty is a surprisingly good interviewer. I thought we'd be treated to Trevino's rapid fire opinions on one player after another, plus the state of the game, and equipment issues, and course setup, and so forth. When the clock neared 11 PM I was near disbelief, "That's it? What a waste."

I agree, Feherty is only good when he is relaxed and chatting with people. He is awkward by himself. That start of the show was just that.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I have the follow -up show on DVR, so I'll critique when I catch it in the next few days. As for Feherty himself being 'scripted' or 'off-the cuff', I can vouch for his 'off the cuff' stuff is MUCH funnier, if a little raw- especially for broadcast TV. Through my job, I have access to the in-house feeds during various golf tournaments. They do a bit of practice on Thurs. & Fri before the weekend stuff. He is achingly funny at times, and yes, even Sir Nick has a wicked sense of humor. But Feherty's comments, jokes, etc.... are clearly the cream of the crop. When he and McCord get going, watch out.

Note: This thread is 4675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!