IGNORED

PING Eye 2s Are the Best Irons Ever Created

Note: This thread is 1280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't believe I join a forum and post about some clubs I like and get accused of something like this.  I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers.  I believe that most people would benefit from playing Ping Eye 2s and I'm sorry if that offends you.  The Titleist AP2 irons are a joke.  They are heavy, bulky and feel like hitting a golf ball off of a tire iron.  The Ping Eye 2 irons are crisp and soft with an amazing trajectory.

I have tried just about every iron out there.  I consider myself somewhat of a golf equipment guru because I visit a golf store at least once a week.   I spend a lot of time going onto Craigslist, finding used irons and negotiating the price down.  I then sell them on Ebay for a nice profit.  I've probably made about $3,000 dollars this year from buying and selling clubs.  You have to be good at negotiating to do this so it's not for the faint of heart.

It isn't your posting of a set of irons that you really like, it's the incredibly subjective comments that your passing off as some sort of fact. You make statements to the effect of I'm a good ballstriker so my opinion means more and I flip (no pun intended) clubs so I am a better judge of quality. I mean, AP2's feel like hitting a tire iron? Really? This is your expert opinion? Come on man! And just to get you stoked even more I don't play the AP2's. I have the AP1's. Not even the 710 version.

Originally Posted by famousdavis

I spend a lot of time going onto Craigslist, finding used irons and negotiating the price down.  I then sell them on Ebay for a nice profit.  I've probably made about $3,000 dollars this year from buying and selling clubs.  You have to be good at negotiating to do this so it's not for the faint of heart.

Irrelevant

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I tried the AP1 and AP1 710 irons both on the range as well as on the course.  The original AP1 irons had the Dynamic Gold High Launch shafts which, to their name, simply launched the ball too high.  The result were floaters that would balloon and then fall short of the mark.  I also noticed that they had sort of a mushy feel to them.  The Eye 2s have a crisp feel and you know if you've hit the center of the clubface.  The AP1 irons feel mushy and cold...kind of like a ham sandwhich with no mustard.  The newer AP1 irons are no better so I wouldn't waste your time or money.  You'd be better off with a set of Ping Eye 2 irons.  BeCu or Stainless, it's your choice.

I personally think these irons are ugly, but due to the good rep, I bought a used set and although the look and setup took getting used to, the irons are very good. I still use mix of Titleist and Mizuno irons as my main set, but I go back to the Pings for a different look. I use a Ping bag and Anser as well, woods and wedges are other brands. The huge headed Callaway and Taylormade GI irons I think are even more ugly. Not saying anything about performance. Fugly.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're some kind of a weird PING shill, or you're insane.  Luckily this forum has tools that allow me avoid your rantings.

BTW-does anyone want me to start a new thread "PING Eye 2 Irons-Classic But Vastly Overrated?"

I tried the AP1 and AP1 710 irons both on the range as well as on the course.  The original AP1 irons had the Dynamic Gold High Launch shafts which, to their name, simply launched the ball too high.  The result were floaters that would balloon and then fall short of the mark.  I also noticed that they had sort of a mushy feel to them.  The Eye 2s have a crisp feel and you know if you've hit the center of the clubface.  The AP1 irons feel mushy and cold...kind of like a ham sandwhich with no mustard.  The newer AP1 irons are no better so I wouldn't waste your time or money.  You'd be better off with a set of Ping Eye 2 irons.  BeCu or Stainless, it's your choice.

Originally Posted by max power

You're some kind of a weird PING shill, or you're insane.  Luckily this forum has tools that allow me avoid your rantings.

BTW-does anyone want me to start a new thread "PING Eye 2 Irons-Classic But Vastly Overrated?"

Or PING Eye 2 Irons - Ugliest Irons ever?

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Originally Posted by max power

Man, are you a hater or what?  Also, aren't you a little old to be watching the Simpsons?  That show was good for one year and anyone with any taste knows that it's a complete waste of time.  I'm an adult.  I play golf.  I don't walk around with my little Simpson's avatar hoping that someone will find me mildly funny.

If you want to avoid what I have to say about the greatest irons ever invented then go right ahead.  Why are you wasting your precious time and energy telling me that you can avoid my rantings?  The truth is that you are very interested in what I have to say and deep inside you know you've wasted a lot of money on inferior clubs.  Time to step up the game sparky and get with the program.  Isn't it time you stopped being an outsider?  It's time for you to join the Ping Eye 2 army.  There are many of us spread across the world.

Isn't it time you stopped being an outsider?  It's time for you to join the Ping Eye 2 army.  There are many of us spread across the world.

Thankfully only one of you is trolling this website.

Whilst new to here i feel i must support the OP view, not just about Ping Eye 2 irons but Ping in general.

Like FamousDavies i am also a very good golfer and i honestly put this down to the superiority of my Ping Golf clubs. I own an original, mint condition set of Eye 2 BeCu irons which are so awesome i cannot bring myself to use them. I believe they are objects to be admired and lusted over as works of art and will never part with them.

My current set up includes G15 hybrids which are quite simply the finest players clubs ever devised and help me to shoot in the 70,s almost every round i play.

I salute you OP.

This is definitely a bizarre thread. The one point I'd make is there's a reason that Ping doesn't make the Eye 2's anymore and it's because they are old technology. The Ping concept of offset heads and thick toplines continues but metallurgy is better, shafts have improved and cast clubs now have more feel. I play Ping G2 irons and love them so I am not a Ping hater. I have always found that Ping and Callaway long irons the easiest to hit.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree, this is a bizarre thread.  Is one model of iron really much different than another?  Or is it what an individiual prefers to look at/ most comfortable with that really matters?  Is it possible to actually "love" or "hate" a set of golf clubs?

Founder/President, AroGolf Premium Milled Putters
Titleist 983K 9.5 / Adams Insight 3W / Rotation of hybrids/long irons
Ping i3 Blades White Dot 5-PW / Ping Tour Wedges Green Dot 52, 58
AroGolf iON1 FB BLACK mil-spec putter

Originally Posted by edgey

Whilst new to here i feel i must support the OP view, not just about Ping Eye 2 irons but Ping in general.

Like FamousDavies i am also a very good golfer and i honestly put this down to the superiority of my Ping Golf clubs. I own an original, mint condition set of Eye 2 BeCu irons which are so awesome i cannot bring myself to use them. I believe they are objects to be admired and lusted over as works of art and will never part with them.

My current set up includes G15 hybrids which are quite simply the finest players clubs ever devised and help me to shoot in the 70,s almost every round i play.

I salute you OP.

Ok, you guys win. But please be sure to wipe down your clubs after you have finished "lusting". I'll say this, I will never look upon another set of Ping Eye 2's the same way again because of you two guys.

I'm sorry but I think you're wrong.  There is something different about Ping Eye 2s that set them apart from any other iron out there.  I don't care if you spent $1,000 on a set of Titleist AP2 irons and had them fit the lie, length, loft and everything else to fit you perfectly.  In the end, the proper color Ping Eye 2 would eventually cause you to score better.  There is something about the way they designed the head that matches up perfectly with the ZZ-Lite shaft.  It has a soft feeling tip yet it delivers a penetrating trajectory in the long irons.  Just the other day I played a long, uphill 185 yard Par 4 and I hit the most beautiful Ping Eye 2 4-iron to about 2 feet.  All the other guys with the modern irons were all over the place.  Now, I realize that's just a very small sample of the people who have been suckered into buying modern equipment but I do think it's a story representative of what is happening in the modern golf world.

I'm sure some of you are interested to hear about my set.  Here it is:

Ping Eye 2 Plus (no plus) 2-SW, ZZ Light Shaft, Red Dot, Ping K grips.

Ping Ally 2 Putter

Ping Rapture V2 Driver with Serrano Stiff

Ping Rapture 3 Wood

Ping G10 3 wood and Hybrid

Ping Latitude Golf Back.  Black and Grey.

Ping Golf Towel

Ping i5 Divot Tool

I just want to say that I like your equipment very much.  The only suggestion I might make is you replace the 2 iron with another 3 wood so that you'd have 3 of them.  Or take out one of the 3 woods and get a second 2 iron.  The balance created by matching the club number with the number of them you have will hopefully compensate for your being imbalanced.

It's safe to say that people are not going to see "eye 2 eye" in this thread

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Kieran123

It's safe to say that people are not going to see "eye 2 eye" in this thread

That's it! That's is the quote that should end this thread. IMO this conversation is at an end.

The Ping G2 iron isn't even close when it comes to playability, shotmaking and penetrating ball flight.  The G2 is an abomination and shouldn't be spoken of when discussing Ping Eye 2s.  If you play Ping G2s then you are truly lost.

I have won 3 club championships with my Ping Eye 2s.  The one time I strayed and played with Titleist 990s I lost in the 2nd round.  I'm also known at my club as one of the best ballstrikers.  Sometimes people stop and watch me at the range just to see how I hit my Eye 2s.

I think some of the people on this forum that come across as angry are really upset because I got these irons for such a steal.  If you don't know how to negotiate then you can't get the kind of deals that I do.  I'm that good.  I'm not bragging, just telling it like it is.  That's called honesty...and I think we need a little more of it around here.

The Ping G2 iron isn't even close when it comes to playability, shotmaking and penetrating ball flight.  The G2 is an abomination and shouldn't be spoken of when discussing Ping Eye 2s.  If you play Ping G2s then you are truly lost.

I have won 3 club championships with my Ping Eye 2s.  The one time I strayed and played with Titleist 990s I lost in the 2nd round.  I'm also known at my club as one of the best ballstrikers.  Sometimes people stop and watch me at the range just to see how I hit my Eye 2s.

I think some of the people on this forum that come across as angry are really upset because I got these irons for such a steal.  If you don't know how to negotiate then you can't get the kind of deals that I do.  I'm that good.  I'm not bragging, just telling it like it is.  That's called honesty...and I think we need a little more of it around here.

LMAO you are bragging. A LOT. No two ways about it.

You are an amazing golfer and an amazing negotiator. Congratulations.

It doesn't make your opinion on the matter fact.

Note: This thread is 1280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!