IGNORED

Stories of broken glass or close calls.

darkhunter139
Note: This thread is 4684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jamo

I hit my own car in the parking lot once. That was quite a shank.

Yup only I was playing in a tourney and I parked my car a good 30 yards behind the 18th green under a tree so it was in the shade. I know 30 yards sounds so stupid but people park there all the time and no ones car ever got hit until I hit my own. Hole 18 is a reachable par 5 I hit a good drive but I'm in between 7 wood and 3 wood so I take the 3 wood and try to lay off a little. Pretty much flushed it took one hop and hit right on the hood of my car. Surprisingly it didn't leave a dent or anything but it was my 1994 cavalier I drove in high school so no big deal.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by jamo

I hit my own car in the parking lot once. That was quite a shank.

Your weren't at Ceder Ridge in CT were you??  Played with a guy that did that once about 15 years ago!

I was showing off in my uncle's front yard hitting high lobs over a telephone wire and landing them only 20 or so yards away. I was hitting them parallel with the street so there were some dense woods in between my uncle's house and his neighbor. It was pretty fun having my family watch me so feeling confident, I say "now watch how high this one is gonna go!" Full swing with an open lob wedge and completely skull it. Flies away through the woods without touching a branch (of course) and slams into the neighbor's aluminum siding making the most obnoxiously loud sound ever. Luckily no one seemed to be home as nobody came out of the house, and since there was no damage, no harm no foul. It was really funny afterwards but I was incredibly embarrassed/nervous when it happened.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Hahahahaha......fun thread topic!!

My closest call with broken glass:

I hit a window dead-nuts square once, but it didn't break.  My tee shot landed between a few trees very near OB with homes very tight against the OB line.  I tried to rip a low 4-iron between the "uprights".......the result was a FAIL.   I nailed the left upright and my ball ricochetted 90degrees dead left......dead-square into a large window.  Even after the ricochett, it had serious heat to it.......it had to be shatter-proof glass.  Lucky for them....and me!!!

I also have a few angry homeowner stories:)    I just don't understand these people at all!!!  They bought a home on the course knowing the perils......

OK..one comes to mind:

A par 5 is bordered by OB/Trees left ......the OB-line hugs the inside of the treeline so anything over them is gone.  I hit a towering drive directly over the woods and I knew it was lost. (the homes were never in danger)  I re-tee 3.......and I am walking up the right-rough to my 3rd shot with the marshal..  I never even tried to look for my 1st ball because the woods is thick, sloping and filled with poison ivy anyway..It's a slow day and a course marshal is riding his cart alongside me and we are striking up a good conversation. (we know each other well, and we are shooting the breeze)

........when all of the sudden the homeowner clammers through the trees and throws my ball at me in anger.  Keep in mind I am walking up the right rough and he is in the opposite treeline.  The ball rolls to my feet(a nice 50+yd toss!!), and I smile and wave/yell... "thanks" .  He is saying something but I can't hear him and I can tell he's angry.  The marshal drivers over and intercepts/gets out of his cart.  I see the marshal motioning with both hands...."both hands raising and lowering"....as if motioning to calm down.   Hahahaha........

I guess it rattled through the trees and dropped on his head as he was working in his garden...............Hahahaha...  I never got within 50yds of him so we never really shared any words.  I just thanked him for returning my ball with a smile and kept waking towards my 2nd tee-shot.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Your weren't at Ceder Ridge in CT were you??  Played with a guy that did that once about 15 years ago!

Alas, i was not. It happened at St. Marks Golf Course in Southborough, MA, on the first tee. Somehow, by an absolutely amazing stroke of luck, nothing broke.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I live in Arizona.  The land of lets build a golf course and line it with houses in every neighborhood.  That being said, I have definitely hit my share of houses.  No broken windows yet.

I have broken glass though.  Playing what I guess I would call one of my home courses, I shanked a tee shot on a slight dog leg right par 5.  The course winds through a retirement trailer park, and it is peak retiree time.  Duck hooked my shot into some RV's on the left side of the fairway and heard a loud crack.  Not a good feeling when most of these RV's are the 100 to 200 or more thousand style.  Rode up, and the couple is standing out on the patio holding a small metal and glass lamp that holds a candle that my ball just creamed.  Chat with the owners a few minutes and apologize repeatedly.  Ended up the lady does stained glass as a hobby at the club house and said she will just make a new piece of glass.  I gave her money for the glass, which she just said would go as a donation to the stained glass club.  Drove away with a giant sigh of relief and a positive interaction.

My parents live on the 17th green of a golf course.  They get the occasional ball, but you have to really shank it to hit their house.  Most of the balls they get end up in the yard or pool.  One individual decided though that he was having a bad day.  He threw the ball up in the air and hit it like a baseball with his putter, well, he hit it.  Ball ended up going straight into their glass sliding door.  My mom said she ran out and yelled at them.  Of course group of guys, not going to let a woman yell at them, they laugh and go to drive away.  Guy finally walked back over feeling bad and promised to fix it.  Gave my mom a phone number and my dad called the guy up.  Never thought he would actually answer, but he did, and had some guys come buy and replace the door.

My sticks:

Ping I15 irons

Ping G5 hybrid

Ping K15 3 wood

Ping G15 driver

Odyssey Whitice Sabertooth putter with extra large Winn grip

I've personally never broke anything but my friend had a nice incident last year. We were on the first hole which is a straight par 4 with houses down the left side. Of course he is left handed and hit an extremely high 100 yard fade. We expected to hear the usual *THUD* of the ball hitting the roof of a house but were instead greeted with a nice shattering sound. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cringe. Instead, we both just stood there with our mouths agape.

He was carting and I was walking. As we made our way down the fairway we noticed the home owner on her hands and knees picking up glass off her deck. Apparently it didn't hit a window. It managed to utterly destroy her glass patio table. I still have no clue as to why you would own such a thing when living on a golf course. Since he was carting he decided to not even acknowledge her and drive past leaving me with my head down walking in the fairway acting like i'm tracking yardage on my phone. She didn't say one word to either of us. She just stood on her patio with her arms crossed staring into our souls with a disgusted look on her face.

I wanted to apologize but didn't know how. Any attempt would either make me look guilty or require me to throw my friend under the bus. My friend is basically too much of an egotistical ******* to man up and apologize. This story simply ends with my friend never leaving the golf cart to play out the hole and me making a nice double bogey since I felt so shaken up by the whole situation. I'm not sure if she called the club house since we never heard anything about it after that moment. A year has passed since then and even though it wasn't my fault I still feel bad about it.

I played a charity scramble with three coworkers equally as bad as myself. We were on a par three that hit over water.  I hit the ball a little harder than I should have, and it soared. I noticed a house behind the green about the same time I realized I was way long. Then I realized there was lady gardening, and I tried to yell fore, but I was too late. She gave me the business for a couple minutes. I told her I was sorry, and that I had not realized her house was there. I have no idea how close I was to her. I felt horrible.

I've only been playing a couple months, and for a short few months in middle/high school (the summer in between), but I have 5 stories lol...

I was in high school, and it was the beginning of 9th grade, so I was still pretty "whatever, I just want it to go far!" Well I hit, and it hooked big time. Over the net, and into the parking lot FULL of cars. I didn't hear anything, so I went about my business, but I was scared. I turned my body to the right a good bit.

Another time (same range, probably a week later), I hit the ball with the absolute edge of my iron, and it shot forward into this guy's prosthetic leg. The guy turned around, glared at me, and I refused to make eye contact. So I sorta stopped golfing after that for a few years.

Two days ago, my buddy was using his new set of irons, and my other friend (being a complete idiot) walked in front of his shot. My bud got a beautiful swing, it sounded amazing, but then I hear "CRACK." My other friend looks stunned, holds out the club he was holding, and said "I just... I just blocked that with this... what the HELL!?" And we all laughed, but then realized he was close to losing manhood or teeth. Then laughed more.

A few weeks ago (same friend) was on the 18th hole. 540 yards or so of straight fairway, except that it slopes down probably 50 feet and back up about 70 for a hell of a valley. Well, the maintenance guy is standing down there doing his thing with his cart parked on the edge. He steps out of the way, and my friend (who is still trying to drive effectively) just drills one straight into the guy's tire. The only two square feet he needed to avoid, and he hits it. It bounces off the cart, and into a tree. The maintenance guy looks at him just starts laughing.

The last one happened to me. First 18 holes of my life. We get to hole number two, and I am using a 3W. I hit it, and every thing looks good until it starts slicing. And slicing. And slicing. Straight into the side of a house, that the owner was next to working in her garden. I didn't even go for the ball, I just teed off again.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Was playing with a buddy of mine and his son.  Son wasn't bad but was in college and didn't get a lot of chance to play a lot.  The course I belonged to had a lot of houses lining it.  The son hit a big slice on the 9th and it landed (fortunately) on the shake roof.  Shake roofs, in case you didn't know, make a LOT of noise when a golf ball hits them.  Worse, the ball rolled down and landed in the cast iron furniture.  Lots of ringing and clanging. We decided a quick walk down the fairway was the best approach - until a kid ran out saying "Mister - you forgot your ball!" Needless to say he didn't look.

Another time was playing in a scramble on a hole that ran parallel to a major road in St. Louis.  Fellow in my foursome (BIG, STRONG fellow) tees off and hits a massive slice that heads straight toward the busy street.  We all held our breaths waiting for the inevitable crash but luck was on our side and we heard nothing.

I have hit houses and even sent one over I-75 . thankfully no carnage .learning to move the ball left and right can be a dangerous thing

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

I topped a medium distance pitch on Sunday and it took a wicked hop onto the parking lot, bounced twice, and as I was saying my prayers, it bounced off the rubber portion of what looked like a brand spanky new pickup truck's tire. It wasn't my fault though. I nailed the drive and the fairway wood on this par 5 and the golf gods were not pleased... thus my punishment.

My buddy and I got paired up with a random twosome.  We were searching for our balls near a fence on the right side of a par 4 which is parallel with a road.  One of the guys in the other twosome shanked his iron shot and it flew right past us onto the road.  As were laughing our butts off watching it bounce down the road perfectly, we saw an oncoming Mercedes coupe.  It ricocheted violently right off the windshield of the oncoming Benz.  The driver slammed on the brakes and immediately jumped out, obviously startled and confused.  We yelled and asked if he was okay and he just jumped back in his car and sped off, leaving us keeled over in laughter for the next minute or so.

Myself and 3 buddies were out golfing about 5 years ago. This was before any of us took golf to serious and it was more a something to do while drinking beer. The course was lined with houses on both sides. My buddy steps up to the tee and hits a huge slice. The ball is curving towards the houses, we all go quiet and listen for the thud. We didn't hear anything so we start walking down the fairway. We get up to where his shot went OB and there is a hole the perfect size of a golf ball about 15ft up on this huge window. The window was probably 20 ft high and 10 ft across. It looked to be a very expensive window. But there was no one home so we just all looked down at our shoes and kept walking. I bet that guy was pissed when he got home.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

While I have never hit a window, I have banged on off a few barn roof's

Also, there is a driving range on my way home from work that is only about 300 yards long ending at the road I drive on.  I had a ball fly through my open drivers door and onto the passenger seat....  so yeah... talk about "lucky"  I'm pretty sure it bounced in off the road...

They need to add a net I think

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

I sliced the hell out of a ball a few weeks ago and I had no idea where it went. I walked back to my bag to get another ball and as I got there I heard a smack on a house. It didn't sound like glass though luckily.

Also just yesterday I was driving on I-70 in Denver, on a stretch of highway that goes right by a fairway and I noticed 10 or so balls resting in the median. Its a very busy stretch of highway and i'm sure that cars have been hit before.

Has anyone ever hit a moving car?

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jshots

I sliced the hell out of a ball a few weeks ago and I had no idea where it went. I walked back to my bag to get another ball and as I got there I heard a smack on a house. It didn't sound like glass though luckily.

Also just yesterday I was driving on I-70 in Denver, on a stretch of highway that goes right by a fairway and I noticed 10 or so balls resting in the median. Its a very busy stretch of highway and i'm sure that cars have been hit before.

Has anyone ever hit a moving car?

My hometown course when I was in high school had a par 4 with a fairly busy 2 lane highway on the right side.  Any slice at all would put your ball in the ditch next to the highway, and a bad slice would put you on or over the highway.  I hit a few over there myself, but I never hit a car.  However, at one of my high school tournaments, a kid put one through the windshield of an oncoming semi truck.  The trucker stopped at the course to settle the matter and gave everyone a chance to check it out.

Note: This thread is 4684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!