IGNORED

I think I made the wrong iron purchase ...

Note: This thread is 4683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

EDIT: I lost the 7iron to this set: http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/nike/pro-combo-os-irons/prd_345887_2940crx.aspx

I lost the 7iron to this set: http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/nike/pro-combo-irons/prd_142409_2940crx.aspx

So this was a perfect excuse for me to demo and buy some new irons (once I saw how much single irons of this set were).  I hit those older Nike Pro Combo OS pretty consistently, but they seemed a little heavy for me, I wanted clubs that weren't offset, and they were stiff shafts (I'm a reg flex swinging about 85 to 90mph with a driver).  But I did hit them good about 80% of the time.  My poor handicap is due to my inability to get off the tee and poor chipping.  My irons were actually my strong suit.

I demoed (off grass at a range) the following clubs:

Taylormade Burner 2.0
Taylormade Burner 1.0

Titliest AP1

Mizuno MX 1000

Mizuno JPX 800

Cleveland CG Gold

Callaway X-20

I hit them all about the same except for the Mizuno MX1000s ... they felt very chunky, too heavy, and the ball did not come off well.  Which made sense to me because these were in the "super game improvement" category.

So I ended up going with the Taylormade Burner 1.0s because the were the cheapest, I liked the look of them, and no others stood out above them.  Got them regripped and took them for a spin the next day.  I've been out 3 times now, and my iron game is ABSOLUTELY HORRID.  I'm flushing these about 10-20% of the time.  I can't make contact, I'm "cutting" at the ball, deep divots, blade shanks.  I have ZERO confidence from 100-180yds with these clubs.  When I do catch it well it goes nice and high with good distance.

MY CONCERN :  Did I need super game improvement/beginner clubs?  Is that what the Nike Pro Combos were?  Is it all mental?

I'm going to the range today for a clinic of my own and possibly a lesson before I give up on them entirely ...

Obviously don't know exactly what you're doing-but you've changed something with your swing.  A reasonably proper/repeating golf swing will get the ball in the air with any type of iron.  I know it doesn't make the last few rounds feel any better, but it's your swing and not the clubs.

different type of grip or shaft?  gripping it too tightly cause your unsure?  as said above, tough to diagnose but it shouldnt be that different, something is causing you to break down. also there is always an adjustment period with new gear.

Founder/President, AroGolf Premium Milled Putters
Titleist 983K 9.5 / Adams Insight 3W / Rotation of hybrids/long irons
Ping i3 Blades White Dot 5-PW / Ping Tour Wedges Green Dot 52, 58
AroGolf iON1 FB BLACK mil-spec putter

Originally Posted by arogolf

different type of grip or shaft?  gripping it too tightly cause your unsure?  as said above, tough to diagnose but it shouldnt be that different, something is causing you to break down. also there is always an adjustment period with new gear.

This is what I'm being told by the guys in my golf league, and friends (that it takes time to get used to hitting new irons).  It's just so wierd that I was hitting them good enuf to buy them (at the range I know its always easier to hit, but at least it was off grass).  I haven't hit them anywhere near that good since.

I've have Winn Xi7 grips on all my clubs, and I'm quite used to them.

I've read on here that people don't really like the 85gram uniflex shafts, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet until I give them a proper break in period.  Gotta make sure my swing is up to par as well.

Are you sure you were given standard specs?

I swung away with a demo club and was pissed at how I couldn't hit a think without shanking.. then I noticed that the club was 2* up. Something I mentioned but just had assumed that I had a standard club.

That is my attempt at blaming your new swing on the clubs.. =/.

I played with a guy that saw his friend's new clubs.. took a few swings and was totally psyched.. so he went out and bought a new set. I had the 'pleasure' of being paired with him on his first round. "I don't usually do this.. I'm sorry," and eventually, "that's it! I'm done! Just go ahead without me!" Don't let new clubs make you hate golf anymore than golf makes you hate golf. =)

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

Rocky74,

I would say that a lesson would help more than switching sticks. Golf is a game of inches,....... and thats after you make good contact with the ball,.... its a game of millimeters before contact.

YIPPEE!  I'm pretty sure I've figured things out after this weekend (at least enough to get back to where I used to be).

Ended up in a cart with my grandpa this past Saturday for 18 holes.  He's always been able to help me with my swing.  I warned him that I haven't been hitting these irons well.  He said his typical line once he saw the clubs "its not the bow & arrow, its the indian".  After about 4 or 5 holes, he told me I was raising my left (front) heel off the ground at the top of my backswing.  It took me a handful of practice swings to break the habit and keep it down.  But once I hit the ball again, something in my head clicked and I said to myself "this feels normal".

For the rest of the round, golf became fun again.  Just like he always told me in the past when my swing was off, "once you figure out what you're doing wrong, you'll be surprised at how simple it is to fix".  I was just lifting my front heel about a half inch off the ground.  Keeping it down helped my whole body stay down over the ball and hit down on it.  A game of millimeters it sure is.

It's been a great feeling to have that weight off of my head, and now I love my new clubs ... can't wait to swing em again (hopefully tmrw).

Originally Posted by Shaggy

Rocky74,

I would say that a lesson would help more than switching sticks. Golf is a game of inches,....... and thats after you make good contact with the ball,.... its a game of millimeters before contact.

Says the guy with the 3 way adjustable driver :P

I originally had some Mizuno t-void pro II's and I made up my mind that they were the reason I wasn't hitting the greens I thought I should be (definition of Indian vs arrow). Anyways, I ended up purchasing some Mizuno JPX 800's thinking they would be the cure all of my GIR problem. I quickly found out that that wasnt the case as I could hardly hit the irons and when I did they had a trajectory that resembled a hump and no real gauge of distance. It also felt incredibly awkward looking down at them before i swung and thinking i had no idea where i was going to hit them. Needless to say the 800's lasted about a week until I happened to play with my dad and he had the Mizuno mp 57s and I fell in love with them. Now I have the mp57s (purchased for $275) got a couple swing lessons ($100) and I am hitting my irons better than I have in a long time. Coop

Note: This thread is 4683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!