IGNORED

Lamkin Crossline vs. GolfPride Tour Velvet

Note: This thread is 4130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which grip do you prefer?

• Lamkin Crossline
    • Golfpride Tour Velvet

I just regripped with the new 2007 Karakal X-Tack's in yellow and black. They have the general construction of a Winn grip, but different materials.. they just don't wear out at all, and aren't terrible in wetter conditions. I've been playing 4-5 times a week for the past couple months and none of them show any wear yet. Best of all, they're about half the cost of Winn grips!

Driver: 905R w V2 stiff 76
FW: NVG2 Fujikura stiff
Hybrids: Idea Pro 20* Aldila VS Proto
Irons: M685 3-PW Rifle 5.5
Wedges: 54* VIP forged, 58* CG10Putter: Bettinardi A02Ball: ProV1, Black Max

Just got these on my 4,5,6,7 irons, and totally love them, they are pretty cheap at golfsmith.
Golf Pride New Decade MultiCompound
Taylormade R7 460 9.5 S Flex
Titleist 904F 19*
Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19*
Nike Pro Combo Forged 3-PWCleveland Gunmetal TA 900 54*,59(Bent from 58)*Taylormade Rossa CGB Daytona ILL-INI

I just regripped with the new 2007 Karakal X-Tack's in yellow and black. They have the general construction of a Winn grip, but different materials.. they just don't wear out at all, and aren't terrible in wetter conditions. I've been playing 4-5 times a week for the past couple months and none of them show any wear yet. Best of all, they're about half the cost of Winn grips!

I've been looking around to find some of these, I'd like to give them a try. So far most of the online distributors haven't had the ones I want in stock. Seems none of the golf stores around here carry them either.

They do look very similar to the Winn grips and the price is in the range of Tour Velvets. If I can find some of these I'll try them on the new driver I'm building.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

i regripped with crosslines at the beginning of last season. love 'em. i've had a crossline on my driver since about 2001 and it still feels like the new ones. i do have a gp tour velvet on my hybrid i purchased this spring. i don't really notice any significant difference between the two grips. the test will be how and if it holds up season after season. the biggest problem i have found with leaving grips on for multiple seasons is they get real difficult to remove if they are old. they tend to fall apart.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

I still have the Tour Velvets on my irons that came with from Mizuno. I love those grips. Until the Golf Pride New Decade MultiCompound came out Tour Velvet was all I used. I switched because when it's hot and humid the MultiCompound is easier to grip.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

• 3 weeks later...
I prefer Crosslines (mid-size). They feel firm and bitey like cords without tearing up your hands. I bought a couple of clubs that came with G8s but I'm going to replace them. They feel a little too mushy. I played with the original Winns for years when you could re-wrap them for $1.50 a club, but since they don't offer that option anymore I've moved on to grips that only need to be changed once a year. I played with the Tour Velvets years ago and they didn't hold up well.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

• 11 months later...
Lamkin. Tour Velvets feel like they're going to slip especially when my hands get sweaty. Comparing Lamkin Crossline Cord grips to Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord, the Lamkins feel nice and soft but I also like the feel of the Golf Pride Cords. They get sticky sometimes though. I have played the MultiCompounds too. Great grips.

I ordered a brand new Slotline putter that came with a lamkin crossline. It feels really great. I'm thinking about regripping my whole set with them when the time comes.

Driver-Callaway FT-5 Draw 9.5"

3WD-Callaway Hawkeye 15*

Hybrid-Callaway FT 21*

Irons-Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-P

Wedges-Callaway Big Bertha Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter-Odyssey White Hot #1

I love tour wrap grips, but I haven't seen many other people using them. They are incredibly tacky (sticky) and they last forever. Why don't more people use them?
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

I love tour wrap grips, but I haven't seen many other people using them. They are incredibly tacky (sticky) and they last forever. Why don't more people use them?

The cord or the regular? I want to try the cord ones.

• 2 weeks later...
The taylormade arrow's that came on my r7's seem to be so slick for me. I am thinking about going ahead and regripping with either Tour Wraps or Multi compounds

I have no idea. My sand wedges have had the same Tour Wraps on them for 10 years and they are still like new. That probably wouldn't happen on a driver but it's a long time.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Appreciate the input, I used winn grips once and they lasted all of about 2 months. Report back and let us know if they've improved at all in durability.

The Winn grips feel great for the first 3-4 rounds then they go flat, like an old pillow.

In my Grom Stand Bag:

Driver: Launcher 400
Hybrid: Idea a30s Boxer 2i
Irons: MP-60's 4-PWWedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.12Wedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 60.4Putter: I-Series Anser 4Ball: Prov1

• 3 weeks later...
I prefer the golf pride tour velvet chord, like the ones tiger plays, they are by far and away the best grips ive ever played.

909D3 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 7 Lime Green Exotics cb2 15 Aldila DVS S-85 Slingshot 17° UST Irod S-110g G10 21° TFC S-129g i10 S300 Green Dot 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 56° and 60° Made for the Tour AOP Newport PP

Age 16

Home CoursesRoyal Hawk...

I prefer the golf pride tour velvet chord, like the ones tiger plays, they are by far and away the best grips ive ever played.

I thought I noticed Tiger playing just regular Velvets, not the wrap. I have the plain Velvets as well. I think they're perfectly simple and effective.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Neither.

GolfPride Tour Wraps for me. Mmmmm, tacky!

sleepy

-= My bag =-

Driver, 3 & 5 Woods:
Fairway Woods: Stan Thompson 'Ginty'
Irons 3 - PW: Eye 2 (red dot) Sand Wedge: $10 bargain bucket special Putter: Rossie mallet Ball: Longest Noodle or DT SoLo (reconditioned)Shoes:

I had tour velvets on my previous set of irons which were very nice. My new irons have the crossline grips, look and feel almost identical.
Im not a fan of how the corded grips feel, what do you lot like about the cord grips?
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

Note: This thread is 4130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!