IGNORED

Should I change my grips?

Note: This thread is 4686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A little background information... I have been using a Wilson Air Power beginner set for eight years now. Over the past three summers, I have played about 25-30 rounds of golf. Before that, I only played 5-7 rounds per year.

I haven't changed the grips on my clubs for a number of different reasons... but I feel like they aren't valid reasons. Should I change my grips?

1) I'm not really sure if it's worth it. I plan on getting new clubs within two years when I get a real job and can afford them.

2) I hit my irons pretty well and am afraid that if I change my grips, my game will suffer. I just shot an 80 last week (summer goal was to break 80), and I want to keep my momentum going.

My grips aren't rock hard or anything, don't exactly slip out of my hands at all, but from common knowledge I feel like most golfers would have definitely changed the grips by now. Has anyone else ever been afraid to change their grips?

It would also be nice to save the $50-$75 it would cost to change them.

Driver Cleveland HiBORE XLS 9.5°

Hybrid 3I Adams A7

Irons 3-PW Wilson Air Power

Wedges Cleveland CG10 52° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 56° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 60° Gunmetal

Putter Cleveland Classic #3

Best Score 80 (+8) - July 22, 2011 @ Highland Woods Golf Course (Blue Tees - 71.7/122)

If they aren't slipping out of your hands, I wouldn't worry about changing them.

Originally Posted by Orange

A little background information... I have been using a Wilson Air Power beginner set for eight years now. Over the past three summers, I have played about 25-30 rounds of golf. Before that, I only played 5-7 rounds per year.

I haven't changed the grips on my clubs for a number of different reasons... but I feel like they aren't valid reasons. Should I change my grips?

1) I'm not really sure if it's worth it. I plan on getting new clubs within two years when I get a real job and can afford them.

2) I hit my irons pretty well and am afraid that if I change my grips, my game will suffer. I just shot an 80 last week (summer goal was to break 80), and I want to keep my momentum going.

My grips aren't rock hard or anything, don't exactly slip out of my hands at all, but from common knowledge I feel like most golfers would have definitely changed the grips by now. Has anyone else ever been afraid to change their grips?

It would also be nice to save the $50-$75 it would cost to change them.

First...it doesn't have to cost $75-$80 to change them.  The local Dick's Sporting goods had Lampkin grips on sale for $2.25 a grip.  The bill for the tape and 9 grips to re-grip my irons was less than $25.  I $2.00 bottle of charcoal lighter fluid is the only other thing you need.  Just take your time and in an evening you can change all of them out.  New grips should not make a negative difference in your game....it will give you a much better feel and more feedback.  To me changing out my grips was a no brainer.

Originally Posted by billm67

First...it doesn't have to cost $75-$80 to change them.  The local Dick's Sporting goods had Lampkin grips on sale for $2.25 a grip.  The bill for the tape and 9 grips to re-grip my irons was less than $25.  I $2.00 bottle of charcoal lighter fluid is the only other thing you need.  Just take your time and in an evening you can change all of them out.  New grips should not make a negative difference in your game....it may give you a much better feel and more feedback.  To me changing out my grips was a no brainer.

Without knowing his situation, how can you say it won't cost that much? Not everyone wants the cheapest grips they can find at dicks. You don't know if he is looking at regripping just his irons, or all of his clubs. Maybe he just doesn't want to change his own grips. And I fixed your next to last sentence for you.

I would say no..if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Ride em out for another two years until you get the new clubs, i like to get my driver/3 wood/putter regripped because it looks better. Never really had a problem with grips.

Originally Posted by Bpurc22

I would say no..if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Ride em out for another two years until you get the new clubs, i like to get my driver/3 wood/putter regripped because it looks better. Never really had a problem with grips.

Yeah, I think I'll just wait it out. Just hit an 81 today, so my chances at breaking 80 before the end of summer is definitely in sight... don't want to ruin that.

Driver Cleveland HiBORE XLS 9.5°

Hybrid 3I Adams A7

Irons 3-PW Wilson Air Power

Wedges Cleveland CG10 52° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 56° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 60° Gunmetal

Putter Cleveland Classic #3

Best Score 80 (+8) - July 22, 2011 @ Highland Woods Golf Course (Blue Tees - 71.7/122)

You can always get a scrub brush and some mild soap and scrub those babies.....it will bring back some of the tackiness in the rubber.

You should do this about every 6 weeks and they will last a lot longer.

Note: This thread is 4686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!