IGNORED

New driver or more lessons?

Note: This thread is 4658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always had the same driver - a Nike Dymo 10.5 - and have always struggled with it. I used to hit ridiculously left to right but now with lessons have brought this to hitting straight and also being able to hit a small draw shot. Except with the driver which I still continue to hit majorly left to right. Is it time to maybe try a new driver or just have more lessons?

Cobra AMP 9.5* driver Nike VR Pro 15* 3W Nike VR 19* 5W Titleist AP1 irons 4-PW Nike VR Pro wedges 50.10 56.10 - Nike VR wedge 58.10 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter Pro V1x ball

If i were you, i would go with a new driver. I got a burner 2009 driver while i had a deadly slice and somethign changed..i gripped it different or maybe it was the club but i hit the burner straight. Now i can work on the small things like fully using my hips and pushing through the ball with more distance and not having to worry about the slice or a lack of distance. That's just what i would do though.

Are you playing the ball off your inside left foot?

That helps me immesely.

You might also want to make sure the shaft is the proper flex in regards to your swing speed.  That can effect ball flight as well.

Good Luck!

Have you ever hit the driver during your lessons?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Yeah playing the ball around 3 inches inside the left and I use a the right shaft! Just can't seem to hit it well. It's got to the point that the driver stays home and I use my 3W from the tee

Cobra AMP 9.5* driver Nike VR Pro 15* 3W Nike VR 19* 5W Titleist AP1 irons 4-PW Nike VR Pro wedges 50.10 56.10 - Nike VR wedge 58.10 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter Pro V1x ball

Originally Posted by MartinVR 182

Yeah playing the ball around 3 inches inside the left and I use a the right shaft! Just can't seem to hit it well. It's got to the point that the driver stays home and I use my 3W from the tee

I would stick with your driver and get a lesson or two. The SQ Dymo is a great driver and is not the reason you're slicing the ball.

Left to right ball flight is caused by coming over the top ( outside to in ). Work on swinging inside-out

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

lessons... but as it sounds, you need to just think it through. the farther you put the ball forward in your stance, the ball will either pull, pull hook or pull slice, the farther back you'll either push, push slice or push hook, and in the middle you'll hit it straight, straight slice or straight hook. the hook, slice or no side spin ball is a product of your grip, the push or pull is a product of your swing plane. if you hit one club well, you can figure the rest out for yourself.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Have you ever hit the driver during your lessons?

Brandon

Exactly. We can all have out thoughts about what the OP should do, but his instructor should probably have some input. Then again, depending on where he's taking the lessons, there might be a hierarchy that prevents the instructor from making equipment recommendations.

The OP says he has the right shaft, but since he's never hit it well, how can he possibly say that? Personally I'd try different drivers because with today's technology, a driver is extremely easy to hit once you've got the right setup. If the shaft and head aren't the right combination for him, then he's fighting a battle he'll never win.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!