IGNORED

Blades or Not???

Note: This thread is 5764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Blades or Cavities?

• Forged blade
    • Forged cavity
    • Cast cavity

I went with the MP-60. Half cavity half muscle back. I think it's a great design that a lot of the manufacturers are coming out with. A lot of forgiveness, but a whole lot of feel. I know when I didn't hit it well as the sting in my hands and the loss of distance tells me. But slightly of center hits still play well without a whole lot of distance loss.

All fires eventually go out!

HiBore 10.5 Standard Shaft Stiff

MP-60 4-PW Dynamic Gold 300 MP-T 51,56,60 V-Foil HX Tour 56 (guess I'll be changing soon)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Cog Hill today,Cog is in Chicago where they play the western openm, for the Golf fest.The ultimate demo day.

My son and I hit everything. Whats funny is, I hit the old time Nike forged blade better than anything any other brand had to offer.
So I say try the blades.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

I'm just a lowly hacker but every so often in the past I'd get my handicap down and really enjoy playing decent golf.

At these times...when I was striking the ball solid I'd entertain thoughts of wanting a set of "players" irons. Every time I've reached that point, though, I'd have my mind changed in a harsh manner. I'd borrow a buddy's forged iron and try a few shots....only a couple came off well.

Nay...at this point I'll stick to my tennis raquet style irons. Straight, good distance and extremely forgiving while not overly large or obscene at set up.

I would love to be able to play them, though. There is no better looking club in my opinion than some of the forged cavity backed irons (Mizuno and Hogan Apex comes to mind).
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I can't really contribute to this,

But i tried playing blades for my first time at a golf store off the mats.

I dont know what it was, maybe my hands were just slipping, but I could not hit blades for my life, Even off the mats! I found it so hard and I did not like the feel.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Believe me, that's wrong. Check out some of the pro's on tour. They hit the ball way high. And I mean waaaay!!! I have a low ball flight, and I know that the higher I hit it, the better spin I get and the more accurate I get. That is why on my good days, the ball flies higher, and I score better. But then again, I could be backwards...

He must of been a pretty hopeless putter if he was off scratch and hitting all his iron shots to 10ft for birdie, or eagle, each time...

Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Shafts were probably a tad heavy/stiff for you. If you order blades, its a great idea to get somewhat fitted so you can order from the manufacturer mid weight shaft, soft stepped or whatever. Off the shelf blade type irons only come in one flavor, real heavy and stiff. I choose blades as I notice no difference on the fairway and my occasional bad iron swings are so bad it makes no difference what iron I use. The big plus with blades is around the green. With just a little practice your be running chips to the hole from anywhere, they have so much feel. This is a big asset and lost on so many people who have no short game because they attempt to chip with shovels.

I started off using a cast cavity when I was first learning. For those who are learning, I recommend a cavity. As I got better, I switched to the old Titleist 990s... these took me from high school all the way up to where I am now today, playing professionally. Once I received some help from sponsors and Nike, I'm playing the Nike blades. I absolutley love them! If you're a serious golfer who demands shot control, forged is the way to go. As for blades or not, well, that's more personal than anything else.

In the Bag (right now)...

Cleveland Tour Issue 310UL* - Miyazaki Kusala Blue 83X

Taylormade R9 TP Tour Issue 13* - Diamana Blue 63X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 17* - Matrix Altus 80X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 19* - Matrix Altus 80X

Nike Forged Blades - 4-W - ProjectX 6.5

Nike VR Black V-Rev 52*, 58*

Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

Taylormade Penta TP3 ball

I like the Mizuno MP37's..... They are extremely long and accurate with a high ball flight, and the truth is that if you hit a bad shot with a forged balde or a super game improvement iron you've still hit a bad shot, whether it be fat thin or just a regular old off-center hand stinger, they are all just poor contact.
If you always do what you've always done....You'll always be where you are right now..
Driver: C830.2 HOF Taiwan Proto
3 wood: Versus VS 1 Proforce V2
7 wood: DCT Fujikura Motore F1
3-pw: Nakashima NX-1 Project X 6.5 53*: ...

I play MP60's. to me they were the best feeling when I went back to buy my own set of clubs (pops taught me on X-16's last year).
I tried the MP 67 and 37. Though I love the sexiness of the blade and wish I could hit it consistently, off-center hits hurt and let me know that I really messed up..which is a good thing...but I definitely feel and see a huge improvement from when i switched from the x-16's to the mp60's. they're still sexy with a blade profile...but have a 1/2 cavity which makes it a little easier to hit. BUT it still sets up and looks so damn awesome...and plus.... I can work the ball a lot easier than with those huge shovels callaway made....
but then again, it's a year later and a lot of rounds from when i switched....
my only thing is the 3 & 4 iron get up a little too high for me..but the scoring irons have a great flight..especially with the rifle shafts....
I'm not hitting my 3 iron 215 - 220 anymore like i was with the x-16's...but i'll take 205 - 210 controlled with a predictable ball flight as compared to long distance and hoping i'm on the green.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I recommend blades. The object of golf is to develop a repeatable, functional and proper swing. Learning to swing a golf club is the prime objective. Blades provide the most feedback and punish you for bad shots. For me, that's ideal.

I'll use a baseball analogy. Some may think that hitting an aluminum bat vs. wood will make the ball go further. That's only true if you don't know how to properly swing. Case in point, I saw Manny Ramirez hit a baseball close to 500 feet in HS. I've seen him do this as a pro, too. Metal, wood, makes no difference because he has a perfect, repeatable swing. Same with golf.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

This is going to be a stupid question but now clubs are coming out with the Tour Preferred on them. Does that mean that the club is more blade like with less forgiveness than its original?

only 12 of the top 40 in the world play blades. and yet we amatuers want them..lol
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Driver --Titleist 907D2 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
F.W. --Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

But the good part about blades is that they really do make you perfect your swing in order to hit them well ... Thats the main reason I love to hit them. I like the challange that it gives you when you miss hit. And yes all of us amatuers want to hit them even though most of us cant haha.

yea agree with that 100%, about how it makes your swing great. my last iron set was Titleist 690.MB blades but now im hitting mizuno mp-57s....i stood in my local fitting store and looked at the mp 57's( forged cavity) and 67's (blades) for like 20 minutes deciding what i wanted lol! i went w the mp 57s
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

Very nice! How are they working for you? I was thinking about going with the classic MP-32s but I work for Adidas so I get a big discount on Taylor Made so I really cant decide.

This is such a big misconception that amateurs should not be using blades because all pros don't. Based on this logic, then the vast majority of amateur golfers should be using a ProV1 and play with prototype equipment.

You're handicap is not an indication of ball striking skills. You could be a horrendous putter, have the worst chipping game and be awful from 60 yards, in.

Funny, how many players carry three and four wedges and none seem to be cavity back or super game improvement. They're all blade or blade like with the hopes of generating the most spin. Exactly opposite of what they are trying to achieve with their irons.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

This is going to be a stupid question but now clubs are coming out with the Tour Preferred on them. Does that mean that the club is more blade like with less forgiveness than its original?

taylormade has a TP line..they're smaller and less forgivi g but still cavities except the TP rac blades

-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------

Very nice! How are they working for you? I was thinking about going with the classic MP-32s but I work for Adidas so I get a big discount on Taylor Made so I really cant decide.

theyre awesome man i like them alot. mizuno's forging is truly so much more advanced than every one else's. i got the project x shafts to bump my ball flight up..im from oklahoma where its WiNdY so i hit the ball pretty low haha

-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------

Note: This thread is 5764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!