IGNORED

Bubba Watson at The French Open

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by makaveli

Watch the first video, it's his interview after the second round http://www.europeantour.com/videoaudio/video/index.html

Too bad this a**hole is coming back to Europe for The Open...

What was so bad about that interview?  I don't see it...I stick by my sensationalism comment.

Thank you Plox for answering, that was more or less what I wanted to answer, I see that we have the same ideas in mind, cheers!

Shades 9323, I give up because since you guys want to defend Bubba and his behaviour, there is no way to make you change your mind or at least understand that that guy have no class at all. Anyway, no problem, if you are proud of this guy, good for you, I am proud of Manny! Cheers ;)

p.s. I really would love Bubba to stay in the USA for The Open, we don't want such selfish punk to cross the ocean

There is nothing to defend since there was nothing wrong with his behaviour.  Likewise, there is no way to change your mind or make you understand that he did nothing wrong or disrepectful. ;)

Like you don't have selfish punks on your side of the Atlantic.

I wouldn't hold up Seve as a model of class.

Please, I really have a problem with arrogant people, just think about the Golden Bear or Seve and then look at Bubba, you cannot buy class...

Originally Posted by shades9323

There is nothing to defend since there was nothing wrong with his behaviour.  Likewise, there is no way to change your mind or make you understand that he did nothing wrong or disrepectful. ;)

Like you don't have selfish punks on your side of the Atlantic.

Ok seriously, this discussion can go on forever, let's say that:

Americans --> Bubba did nothig wrong

Rest of the world --> he is an idiot

Did I get the point?

I'm actually from Argentina....so I wouldn't really say "rest of the world".

Ok seriously, this discussion can go on forever, let's say that:

Americans --> Bubba did nothig wrong

Rest of the world --> he is an idiot

Did I get the point?

Carlos

Originally Posted by Shorty

I have never understood the popularity of Bubba Watson.

He started off his career as an arrogant, petulant, foolish, negative and whingeing jerk and then puts out a bunch of "awesome" videos, which contrast completely with what you see on the course and suddenly he's an American folk hero.

Bubba Watson is the biggest phony in golf.

I almost vomited a couple of weeks ago when he said he was  "just going to go out and play Bubba golf".

Next time you watch him playing golf - not performing in some cretinous video ("awesome" video) just observe the way he ignores other people and fans on the course and always looks to blame people for his own mistakes. He's an immature pig. And now we have people on this forum blaming ADD and "strange foreign noises" for his selfish and arrogant antics.

But as long as he plays the military, charity and Christian crads, he's got a guaranteed couple of million gullible devotees.

Imagine if this fool was asked to elaborate upon what he though the U.S. military were actually doing.  He just keeps spewing out platitudinous gibberish and people stand back and applaud.

I used to think you were being too tough on Bubba (mostly because I've only followed golf the past two years), but I'm leaning towards your side of the fence on this one.  Good post, you belligerent bastard.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Also, I'm sure if some European was in America and he described a war memorial as "that thing i drove around in circles" i'm sure there would be something said about that too.

Agreed.  While I don't find Bubba disgraceful in this instance, I find it funny that a lot of the guys here are calling it sensationalist journalism.  It's subjective, for sure, especially when trying to quantitfy somebody's mind set and mood.  But I think it's pretty clear Mr. Watson was at least unprofessional and rude, which is 100% counter to the image he has tried to project through the last couple years.

Originally Posted by max power

I wouldn't hold up Seve as a model of class.

Agreed.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Just to be clear, my comments and opinion of Bubba have nothing to do with this recent flap.  I haven't watched any of the videos, though from what I've picked up in this thread it seems like typical behavior for him.  Boggles my mind that there are tons of people who dislike Phil but think Bubba is the bee's knees.

bp,

The sensationalism for me comes from this quote:

"Also Watson’s been ‘difficult’ all week by declining simple requests for interviews and even an approach from one of SKY’s more attractive female employees to film a head shot of him during the informality of Wednesday’s Pro-Am."

WTF does the fact of an attractive female have to do with a damn thing?

I used to think you were being too tough on Bubba (mostly because I've only followed golf the past two years), but I'm leaning towards your side of the fence on this one.  Good post, you belligerent bastard.

Agreed.  While I don't find Bubba disgraceful in this instance, I find it funny that a lot of the guys here are calling it sensationalist journalism.  It's subjective, for sure, especially when trying to quantitfy somebody's mind set and mood.  But I think it's pretty clear Mr. Watson was at least unprofessional and rude, which is 100% counter to the image he has tried to project through the last couple years.

Agreed.

Brandon

To Everyone, pro and anti Bubba's perceived behaviour in France. Is every golfer, footballer, whatever sportsman, supposed to gain a grasp of the reporting media tactics required to mollify the mob that is us? These guys (golfers) are simply that, golfers. They do not have any added responsibility to manage our fragile senses of what is right or wrong. Personally, I have never liked Bubba Watson and I fully accept that there is no rhyme or reason to justify my dislike of him. It is absolutely unfounded. BUT I do not hold him responsible to "sweet talk" the media saying he is enjoying himself in France if he is not. Let the guy be himself. Let him live. Let him play golf. Let him be Bubba Watson. If you don't like it, then observe that you don't like it and find it amusing because that is all it is. Born elsewhere under different circumstances you may have been his biggest fan. Just live and let live. Bubba does not represent "America" whatever that is. He represents Bubba. I think I'll stop now. All I'm asking is that we live our lives share our opinions, but not denigrate people for being who they are.

I remember a similar “fish out of water” experience particular to Boo Weekley when he played the 2007 Open Championship… “They ain’t got no sweet tea, and ain’t got no fried chicken.”

Classic Boo

The difference being (aside from the obvious difference between France and Scotland) that Boo was genuine, polite, and honest about his lack of exposure to foreign cultural experiences. The press and the people loved him for that kind of candor.

I always thought of Bubba as a born-again ass clown with a bad attitude.

Now I can add dilettante to the epithet.

• Upvote 1

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

I guess I don't see what the big deal is.  I've been to France, and like Bubba, I was glad to get home, and would not choose to visit there again.  That doesn't mean France is bad, just means it's not someplace I enjoyed visiting.  The other countries I've gone to for business or vacation such as the UK, Japan, Italy, Amsterdam and Germany were enjoyable and I'd welcome trips back there.  If the courtesy car incident is true it's a bit too "diva" for me, but we don't know what his reasons for it are, or what he was promised.

Golfers are humans you can't expect them to like every country they visit.  Bubba was being honest, what's wrong with that?  I personally am sick of the politically correct police making sure athletes and famous people always say the right thing so no ones feelings get hurt, it makes everyone seem plastic and fake.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by shades9323

bp,

The sensationalism for me comes from this quote:

"Also Watson’s been ‘difficult’ all week by declining simple requests for interviews and even an approach from one of SKY’s more attractive female employees to film a head shot of him during the informality of Wednesday’s Pro-Am."

WTF does the fact of an attractive female have to do with a damn thing?

I don't think that falls under my understanding of sensationalism.  That was just bad journalism, IMO.  As you said, it's kind of irrelevant to his point.  It was a non-sequitur.

Originally Posted by Uber$winG

I remember a similar “fish out of water” experience particular to Boo Weekley when he played the 2007 Open Championship… “They ain’t got no sweet tea, and ain’t got no fried chicken.”

Classic Boo

The difference being (aside from the obvious difference between France and Scotland) that Boo was genuine, polite, and honest about his lack of exposure to foreign cultural experiences. The press and the people loved him for that kind of candor.

I always thought of Bubba as a born-again ass clown with a bad attitude.

Now I can add dilettante to the epithet.

Good points, at least from my perspective.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

It still boggles my mind that people here can see nothing wrong with his behaviour at all. At the very least, he came across as surly and ungrateful, and at worst he was downright ignorant and a spoiled brat. It's nothing to do with him "being honest" either; he had the cheek to talk about areas not being roped off - that's isn't just being a sore loser, it's a downright lie. The French open has always been run professionally and you can see clearly the ropes on TV. What a tough life he has...

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Golfers are humans you can't expect them to like every country they visit.  Bubba was being honest, what's wrong with that?  I personally am sick of the politically correct police making sure athletes and famous people always say the right thing so no ones feelings get hurt, it makes everyone seem plastic and fake.

No one is asking him to be fake, plastic or dishonest. What they do expect, though, is for him to be decent,civil, polite and pleasant. I would hardly praise him for his honesty when he behaves like a rude child who doesn't like the food when he is taken to a friend's house as a guest.

He is a thoroughly spoilt and stupid buffoon who,unfortunately, time and time again presents himself as a great guy in his scripted, staged and "awesome" videos, but in real life is a mean spirited and angry jerk.  The irony is that he is as fake and plastic as they come, because he has recently garnered for himself a reputation as a great guy, but, like I said. watch him on the golf course. He is forever glaring at fans and camera operators, shaking his head, spitting and cursing under his breath. The "real" Bubba has a sense of entitlement that is unattractive to say the least. The main problem with Bubba Watson is that he is too stupid to even know how to pretend to be nice unless he is involved in some self promotional video or "charity" stunt involving ridiculous clothes.

He is truly the "ugly American abroad" It is true to that it is no crime to not know what the Arce de Triomphe, and Eiffel Tower are, but imagine flaunting your ignorance as he has done! And no matter what his contract demands were or were not - can you imagine a situation where you would demand or even ask for your own car in a trip to the golf course?

Take away the stage management and Watson can clearly be seen for what he really is on any tournament he plays in, especially the U.S.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Ah, I begin to see here.  You take it as a personal attack against you.  I can understand that..to a point.

On the other hand, you seem to take for granted that what you see on tv is in fact the complete story.  It seems odd to me that he would specifically say that some areas weren't roped off and that people continued to take photos/talk on the phone/shoot video when there were signs up against doing so when that wasn't the case.  It would seem to me, that since he was the one there, actually at the tournament, that he would have a better chance of seeing these things than you, a television viewer would.  Now if your knowledge came from actually being at the event, I would say that you have a valid point in refuting his statements.

I'm not a huge fan of Bubba's.  I actually tend to follow Phil more closely.  I've watched both videos several times and can't see "surly and ungrateful, and at worst he was downright ignorant and a spoiled brat".  If anything, it seems you have something very personal against him.

Originally Posted by Plox

It still boggles my mind that people here can see nothing wrong with his behaviour at all. At the very least, he came across as surly and ungrateful, and at worst he was downright ignorant and a spoiled brat. It's nothing to do with him "being honest" either; he had the cheek to talk about areas not being roped off - that's isn't just being a sore loser, it's a downright lie. The French open has always been run professionally and you can see clearly the ropes on TV. What a tough life he has...

Carlos

I'm not seeing where he wasnt' civil, here is the quote: " Watson insisted he would be returning to America "as quickly as possible" after what proved a forgettable few days near Paris. "It's different for me, there's cameras, there's phones, there's everything, no security," bemoaned American after his second round.  "I don't know which holes to walk through, there's no ropes. It's something I'm not used to, I'm not comfortable with.""

The European Tour Tournament Director basically admitted that Bubba's statements were accurate, "David Probyn defended the event's security measures, although admitted that course security was much more relaxed in Europe.  "You can't ban everyone who is carrying a mobile phone," Probyn stated. "It's the same with cameras. You can't scan everyone for a camera at every event, that would just make it hard for people to watch golf and we don't want to do that.  "Sure, we are not as rigorous with the way we run things as they might be in America. But we don't have 1,200 volunteers like they have in America for a tournament. Anyway, our players are happy to walk through the crowds."

Bubba is used to the security at US events and stated that the reduced security wasn't something he was used to.  I think you guys are being a bit too sensitive in this case.

Originally Posted by Shorty

No one is asking him to be fake, plastic or dishonest. What they do expect, though, is for him to be decent,civil, polite and pleasant. I would hardly praise him for his honesty when he behaves like a rude child who doesn't like the food when he is taken to a friend's house as a guest.

He is a thoroughly spoilt and stupid buffoon who,unfortunately, time and time again presents himself as a great guy in his scripted, staged and "awesome" videos, but in real life is a mean spirited and angry jerk.

Take away the stage management and Watson can clearly be seen for what he really is on any tournament he plays in, especially the U.S.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

wow! the willful ignorance of some of my compatriots on this site is ASTOUNDING. i won't call you out, but you know who you are. "that archway" is where the tomb of the unknown french soldier resides, where charles de gaulle gave his speech proclaiming that paris was free. bubba claims to love the military so much, well that arch is also a memorial for every single french soldier who fought and died since france became a unified country. hence the name, arc de TRIOMPHE. that means triumph in french.

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

wow! the willful ignorance of some of my compatriots on this site is ASTOUNDING. i won't call you out, but you know who you are. "that archway" is where the tomb of the unknown french soldier resides, where charles de gaulle gave his speech proclaiming that paris was free. bubba claims to love the military so much, well that arch is also a memorial for every single french soldier who fought and died since france became a unified country. hence the name, arc de TRIOMPHE. that means triumph in french.

Anyway, how many people in France are familiar with war memorials Americans hold sacred?.

I've been saying Bubba Watson is a phony and an overexposed douchebag for a while now. Maybe that's why I'm cutting him some slack here. I have extremely low expectations of Bubba Watson. There's no stupid thing he can say or do that isn't completely consistent with what I already thought of him. This is one small piece (very very very small - not worthy of debate) of his portfolio of douchebaggery.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!