IGNORED

Bubba Watson at The French Open

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really want to dislike Bubba more for this (if I'm getting paid what he did to just show up in France, I'm going to at least polish up on some French history), but I never held him in such high regard anyway. He didn't have very far down to go, in my book.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"He told them to contact his manager. If they had done so, they would have probably gotten their interviews. He is under no obligation to grant interviews outside of the press conference before the tournament. Now, had he said that he will not do an interview because they are a terrible reporter for a crumy newsouce I would agree with you."

Sky Sports contacted his manager well in advance of the week of the French Open, requesting a time suitable for Bubba that week. They received no reply. Three separate appointments were made during the week, but all three were postponed and ultimately canceled.

"Again, how is this disrespect? He was asked if he would return and he said no. If he had said I won't be back because the organizers are crappy, I would agree with you."

Bubba is under contract to play the Scandinavian masters. On Thursday he was actually asked if he would be returning to Europe again. By saying he wasn't, he was either: disrespecting the organisers and sponsors of the Scandinavian Masters, or: unaware that Sweden is in Europe.

Let us not forget, Bubba was being paid a considerable sum to play in the French Open (not speculation, fact.) Sky Sports (and by association European Tour Productions) are the host broadcaster of the tournament. To fail to speak to them prior to the first round is nothing short of a disgrace - no player would refuse CBS or NBC in similar circumstances.

Bubba's primary complaint on Thursday was not private video cameras, but TV cameras (he told two cameramen to '**** Off'). Does he not realise why he gets given a half million dollar watch to wear, or why he has sponsors, or why the game of golf has made him a millionaire?

He has said in the past that he's blessed to be a tour pro, and lucky and privileged to do what he does. I suggest he acts like it at all times and not like a spoilt child.

Originally Posted by jamo

I really want to dislike Bubba more for this (you can bet your ass if I'm getting paid what he did to just show up in France, I'm going to at least polish up on some French history (hehe)), but I never held him in such high regard anyway. He didn't have very far down to go, in my book.

I don't think he got paid anything to show up.

Here are a few tweets he made today.

bubba watson
I played bad, not the fans or the tournaments fault, I hit the shots
If I offended anyone I apologize - definitely wasn't my intention.

I don't think he got paid anything to show up.

From the article linked to on the first page of this thread: [QUOTE]And Watson’s also done little to earn the appearance money he’s been reportedly paid.[/QUOTE] Also, from [URL=http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011/07/le-bubba-vists-paris-insults-francophiles-.html]this Golf.com article:[/URL] [QUOTE]Bubba Watson played his first-ever European Tour event in Paris Thursday. It might also be his last. While carding a three-over-par 74 at Le Golf National, the 2016 Ryder Cup site, Watson, who earned a reported $240,000 appearance fee, hardly endeared himself to the galleries or, for that matter, French historians. [/QUOTE]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Someone posted this on his twitter:

@bubbawatson Did you give back half of the tournament appearance fee since you only played 2 days? I bet not. Grow up bro.

And he responded with

@Jason_Long I did not get paid, thanks

I don't know the facts about Bubba's appearance fee but I've heard of situations where if the player doesn't make the cut he doesn't receive the fee. I'm sure all of his travel was covered but maybe since he missed the cut he didn't get the pay day.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by shades9323

I knew I would get shit for that, but the discussion was getting stale!

In the American sports landscape, Europeans have always been considered "soft."

I never said his behaviour was gracious or that he has ever been a great ambassador for golf.  It was, however, not disrespectful.

I guess we will have to chalk this one up to different cultures.  I blame Lance Armstrong for this whole mess.

I am still waiting on links for other videos/interviews to watch.

Hi,

Even if he's not ok with it, he's an ambassador. Just like, Ryo Ishikawa et Matteo Mannassero when they're playing on different tours. He represents a certain image of his country as a pro golfer. People expect a little bit more reserve and more diplomacy from an ambassador. It's a job, so don't take it if it's to big for you.

It was not a big event (not a PGAtour tournament nor a major), so no worry for him about missing the cut. To me, he was in Holidays, But he was expected and it was a honor for the french to receive him, i'm sure he was aware of that. So it's understandable to be uncomfortable with the organization or the food, but again as a ambassador of a great country of golf, you should take on you and just go home, it's fine.

As a amateur golfer and a traveller, i would found very sad the opportunity to play in different country some courses that make me fell at home and eat some food that taste the same.

thanks,

mlecuni

Originally Posted by Journeyman

"He told them to contact his manager. If they had done so, they would have probably gotten their interviews. He is under no obligation to grant interviews outside of the press conference before the tournament. Now, had he said that he will not do an interview because they are a terrible reporter for a crumy newsouce I would agree with you."

Sky Sports contacted his manager well in advance of the week of the French Open, requesting a time suitable for Bubba that week. They received no reply. Three separate appointments were made during the week, but all three were postponed and ultimately canceled.

"Again, how is this disrespect? He was asked if he would return and he said no. If he had said I won't be back because the organizers are crappy, I would agree with you."

Bubba is under contract to play the Scandinavian masters. On Thursday he was actually asked if he would be returning to Europe again. By saying he wasn't, he was either: disrespecting the organisers and sponsors of the Scandinavian Masters, or: unaware that Sweden is in Europe.

Let us not forget, Bubba was being paid a considerable sum to play in the French Open (not speculation, fact.) Sky Sports (and by association European Tour Productions) are the host broadcaster of the tournament. To fail to speak to them prior to the first round is nothing short of a disgrace - no player would refuse CBS or NBC in similar circumstances.

Bubba's primary complaint on Thursday was not private video cameras, but TV cameras (he told two cameramen to '**** Off'). Does he not realise why he gets given a half million dollar watch to wear, or why he has sponsors, or why the game of golf has made him a millionaire?

He has said in the past that he's blessed to be a tour pro, and lucky and privileged to do what he does. I suggest he acts like it at all times and not like a spoilt child.

what? sweden is in europe?

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

it's not so much bubba, he's just the personification of why americans get upset with other americans. the sandtrap is a global community. as such, we respect each other regardless of country of origin. so yes, bubba doing what he did on international t.v. does make us look foolish. and as it stands, most americans i know couldn't care less about knowing what's going on in the rest of the world, and most of the europeans et al do.

Wouldn't that be more akin to a Texan knowing what is going on in Georgia?

Carlos

I read a lot of these posts and it still amazes me how broad a brush folks can use to paint an entire people with specific attributes based on the behavior of an individual.  Back when I worked for a living I did an extensive amount of international travel and have found people to be pretty much people where ever they are.  In my opinion there are about an equal number of a$$---es on both sides of the pond and an equal number of saints and in-between folks too.  There is a name for judging a people by the behavior of a single individual of that group, it is called prejudice.

• Upvote 1

Butch

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Here is what he said about playing in Europe ...

But when politely asked for a post round comment all the World No. 12 could say was:  “I think this might be the only time I play in Europe.  I miss my home.

He misses his home... after what? 3.... 4 days?  Is he 12 years old?

Sky Sports (UK) are ripping Watson to shreds.  They've just interviewed Brendan Steele about his experience of his first Euro Tour event and he loved it and they are predictably putting that up against Watson's. Fair enough if you don't like something, he's been petty and there's no other way round it.  He's not a superstar, he's a good player - nothing more, nothing less and if he doesn't turn up next year for it... will the French Open suffer as a result? I really wouldn't have thought so.

I'm referring to Ghalfaire's post. I was on a mobile phone and messed up the quote and reply. If you will excuse me pointing my own broad brush at you as I've never been to America, "I feel and hear you brother!" Well said! It confounds me how often we do this as humans. We pigeonhole people at every turn in every circumstance just to make our lives easier. It would just be too difficult if we had to take each experience of life as new. The irony is that some of those complaining about Bubba are calling him a "typical" American. So if he behaved as a "typical" American why the hullabaloo about his conduct on France? But my own misguided "injustice" with it all is the delusion that golfers are expected to be somehow more "intelligent", "cultured", and able to mollify the insatiable viewers desires.

Someone posted this on his twitter:

@bubbawatson Did you give back half of the tournament appearance fee since you only played 2 days? I bet not. Grow up bro.

And he responded with

I did not get paid, thanks

Huh, that's odd. So either he's lying, or the press got it wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

In my bag:

He had the appearance fee alright. I'm not sure you get it if you miss the cut though. (Which would mean the press((he received an appearance fee)) and Bubba((I didn't get paid)) are both telling the truth)

Originally Posted by jamo

Huh, that's odd. So either he's lying, or the press got it wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

He had the appearance fee alright. I'm not sure you get it if you miss the cut though. (Which would mean the press((he received an appearance fee)) and Bubba((I didn't get paid)) are both telling the truth)

So he did get the appearance fee, but didn't get paid (additional money because he missed the cut)? I think that's where I was at the beginning. :-P

In my bag:

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

i can guaran damn tee you that if you dropped the avg. frenchman off in america, they would be able to identify iwo jima, the vietnam wall, arlington national cemetery,

I'll bet there isn't a person on the planet who could identify iwo jima if you dropped him/her off in America. But I guess you are talking about the statue.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Golfers are athletes, not ambassadors.  They are trained to play golf, not handle diplomatic relationships.  I don't want Bubba, or any other athlete representing our country or society.

Bubba was critical of the security and European tour director which he admitted was lax compared to security in the United States.  Bubba spoke honestly about not wanting to return to France and demonstrated he's not an expert on famous landmarks.  I'm still not seeing what he did so wrong, but to those of you that are insulted and think he's a jerk I think Bubba will be okay if you don't root for him.

Originally Posted by mlecuni

Hi,

Even if he's not ok with it, he's an ambassador. Just like, Ryo Ishikawa et Matteo Mannassero when they're playing on different tours. He represents a certain image of his country as a pro golfer. People expect a little bit more reserve and more diplomacy from an ambassador. It's a job, so don't take it if it's to big for you.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!