IGNORED

Need a new 3 wood, suggestions?

Note: This thread is 4638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since getting my new irons I've been looking around at 3 woods. I also recently put a hybrid in the bag and benched the 5 wood and last night I put the pair (Nike SQ2) on eBay. This morning they were sold and now I need a 3 wood. I'm looking at the Nike VR Pro (matches my driver) or a Ping G15 (matches my irons).

Any thoughts on either of these? Other suggestions to look at? I went to Dick's yesterday and looked around and like the look and feel of the Cleveland woods. I'm going to try to go hit a few this afternoon.

I have an older Burner 5 wood that I really liked you can get 08/09 burner stuff for real cheap now.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

I got my superfast 3w for $75 and I can grip it and rip it with this thing. It is very forgiving and long.  I stopped hitting my driver unless it is a shot that will benefit from a lot of roll. I didnt care for the VR I had before that.  No experience with Ping, but I have heard good things.  Just make sure you can see the ball flight, I bought the VR on looks, reviews, and a few good swings...not a good choice haha.

I have the superfast 2.0 in a 4W and could not be happier.  I can take it 240 off the tee consistently.  Last round I got on in 2 on a 465 par 5 off a short drive that I hit left off the fairway and only went about 220.  I was able to hit a draw to get around some trees and got 240 down hill to the green.  It actually rolled across into the fringe, I chipped on and sank the putt for birdie.

I would give it a try or maybe  the TP model, I love that club.

What did you not like about the VR Pro? I was able to hit about a dozen balls with the G15 and also hit a few balls with a VR Pro 5 wood (they couldn't find their demo 3 wood). I liked both about equal and would give a slight edge to the Nike, the 5 was almost as long as the Ping 3 and it feels alot like my driver.

Originally Posted by tws1098

I got my superfast 3w for $75 and I can grip it and rip it with this thing. It is very forgiving and long.  I stopped hitting my driver unless it is a shot that will benefit from a lot of roll. I didnt care for the VR I had before that.  No experience with Ping, but I have heard good things.  Just make sure you can see the ball flight, I bought the VR on looks, reviews, and a few good swings...not a good choice haha.

glad to hear that the fairways feel similar to the driver. Was the Nike VR pro 5 wood good to hit off the deck?

I'm in a similar position to replace my 3 and 5 wood and was looking at the nikes too (as i already have the vr tour driver and i like it)

Didn't get to hit off grass, only hit off the mats. Hit about half the balls off the tee and the rest off the mat. I did have a couple of not-so-good shots with the G15 but all the balls off the mat with the Nike were good. I've about come to the conclusion that hitting a few balls with a demo really don't tell me much about the way the club plays, but I can tell if I like the way the club sits behind the ball, how it swings and feels. The true test is how it plays on the course.

I won an auction last night for a VR Pro 3 wood so I hope to have it in time for this weekend. I'll update after I get a chance to use it some.

Originally Posted by xr6t

glad to hear that the fairways feel similar to the driver. Was the Nike VR pro 5 wood good to hit off the deck?

I'm in a similar position to replace my 3 and 5 wood and was looking at the nikes too (as i already have the vr tour driver and i like it)

After playing with the the VR Pro 3 wood this past weekend, initial thoughts are I think I'm still in the market for a 3 wood. Of course, I only used it 4 times Saturday and 5 times Sunday, but it just didn't have that "wow" factor. I'm planning a trip to the range tomorrow and I'll try maybe making a few adjustment to see if that helps some, and play it again this weekend. I still have a couple of clubs on my radar, Ping G15 and Tour Edge Exotics and if I find a great deal I'll pick one up to try.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to decide the same thing right now

The new Taylor made burners are on sale for $150 right now on golfgalaxy.com, I can get a Ping G10 for $90 in really good condition off craigslist, and the older Taylor made superfast burners are like $139.  Going crazy trying to decide which to get! I can't try the ping one before hand which kind of sucks.

I got good results from the following 3Ws:

1) Ping G15

2) Callaway FT-iz

Both are shallow faced and good off the deck

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

I'm still struggling with a decision for a 3 wood. After playing the VR Pro it just doesn't have the distance and tends to balloon on me. I think it's all in the shaft, Project X 5.5, and I think a stiff 6.0 would be much better. I did pick up a Ping G15 4 wood and I'm now thinking of either a Ping i15 14* 3 wood or a Titleist 909F3 13*. I've got a $75 store credit with TGW and both are on sale. I'll keep looking for the next couple of weeks, I had knee surgery last Friday so I'll won't be able to try the 4 wood for a few weeks.

If you get a chance, try the Titleist 910F, I got one when they were released earlier in the year and are very impressed, it's by far the best fairway wood (for me) that I've tried/owned.

910d3, 910F, 910H, AP-2, Vokeys, and a Scotty Kombi.

i brought a vr 3 wood and driver new when they first hit the market and in honesty was dissapointed with both. The clubs just fail to inspire me or allow me to make different shots . . plus they both sounded rubbish aswell!

have you considered using a low lofted hybrid to replace your 3 wood all together???

I currently carry a callaway fti driver and a taylormade tp 14 degree rescue fitted with a x100 steel shaft. Thats it for my woods all together. The problem for me is the massive void between my low flighted 240 yard rescue club and my low flighted 210 yard 3 iron . . long par 3's become a real problem with very little options of the tee for me

910D2 9.5 Stiff

906F3 PT 3 wood Stiff

Pro100 Blades 3-PW X100

Vintage 52 and 60 wedge

C67

I really like the driver but the 3 wood just doesn't do it for me, again, I think it has a lot to do with the shaft. I'm not a big hitter, average drive is about 250, 4 iron is 180-185 and my 3 hybrid is 190-195. I'm looking to fill the gap between my driver and hybrid and the Ping 4 wood I just got should fill the low end and I would like a 3 wood for the upper. I bought a VR Pro 2 hybrid and didn't like it at all, and quickly got rid of it. The VR Pro 3 wood I can only get about 220 max and I really want a little more out of my 3 wood. I hoping I'll get that out of the 4 wood and use it mainly off the turf and use the 3 wood maily off the tee on shorter holes. That's the reason I'm looking at 13-14* 3 woods.

Originally Posted by RoyPinhey

i brought a vr 3 wood and driver new when they first hit the market and in honesty was dissapointed with both. The clubs just fail to inspire me or allow me to make different shots . . plus they both sounded rubbish aswell!

have you considered using a low lofted hybrid to replace your 3 wood all together???

I currently carry a callaway fti driver and a taylormade tp 14 degree rescue fitted with a x100 steel shaft. Thats it for my woods all together. The problem for me is the massive void between my low flighted 240 yard rescue club and my low flighted 210 yard 3 iron . . long par 3's become a real problem with very little options of the tee for me

im going to watch this thread with interest as im considering a new 3 wood to give me more options. The gap between my rescue and 3 iron is around 30 yards on average but my driver averages about 275 and thats with a low boring trajectory. The strange thing is with 3 woods is that i have tried so so many over the years and never really found one that ticks all the boxes. ive also found that even if you order one that is to your 'specification' it doesnt mean it will work for you. In order to get one that works you need to get out there and start hitting some . .

910D2 9.5 Stiff

906F3 PT 3 wood Stiff

Pro100 Blades 3-PW X100

Vintage 52 and 60 wedge

C67

I absolutely love my Mizuno JPX-800.  Its such an easy club to hit and it absolutely crushes the ball.  Ive never really been a very good fairway wood player but Im loving the JPX-800.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Laying here with my knee iced down watching golf I had a brainstorm . I had completely forgot about the Vr Pro being adjustable, doh!!!!! I think before I jump and buy another wood I'll lower the loft 1* and even though it will open the face if it lowers the flight it just might work. I've got a feeling what I've been reading about the G15 4 wood, it may be as long if not longer than the Vr pro 3 wood. I guess I find out as soon as my knee will let me.

Note: This thread is 4638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!