IGNORED

Drives going straight, then curving right.

Note: This thread is 2600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First I want to make clear...I am NOT slicing the ball! It's not starting out right and going further right.

I hit my drives about 200 yards...they go perfectly straight the first 125 yards and then curve right the last 75 yards. It wasn't windy. Every single one did the same thing and I have no idea why.

Again, this is NOT a slice, so do not give me tips on how to fix a slice.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do about it?

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

I don't mean to be argumentative or anything, but what you're describing sounds like the textbook definition of a slice.  You'd be correct in saying it's not a push-slice, however.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

Yep that is a slice and believe me I know a slice.  You are either swinging outside-in or your clubface is open at impact.  Things that have helped me are 1)getting an R9 and setting it 2 left and 2) taking an strong overhand grip (basically take your normal grip then rotate your hands clockwise about 1/2 inch till you can see several knuckles on your left hand (I'm assuming you are a righty). Your driver head will look weird, just ignore that and make your normal swing.  Before I did that my drives would go dead straight around 230-250 then take a 90 degree turn in midair.  Worst part about it isnt that it lands right its  that your bounce goes at 90 degrees too and really takes it to the right.

I asked a pro online and he said it wasn't a slice. He said a slice starts out going right from the very beginning. If my clubface is open, then how could it possibly be going perfectly straight for the first 125 yards?

Mine go like this:

Not like this:

Maybe it is still a slice, I don't know. Maybe he was wrong, or didn't understand my description of my problem.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Originally Posted by TheDude27

Yep that is a slice and believe me I know a slice.  You are either swinging outside-in or your clubface is open at impact.  Things that have helped me are 1)getting an R9 and setting it 2 left and 2) taking an strong overhand grip (basically take your normal grip then rotate your hands clockwise about 1/2 inch till you can see several knuckles on your left hand (I'm assuming you are a righty). Your driver head will look weird, just ignore that and make your normal swing.  Before I did that my drives would go dead straight around 230-250 then take a 90 degree turn in midair.  Worst part about it isnt that it lands right its  that your bounce goes at 90 degrees too and really takes it to the right.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Yes mine went like your first one(well occasionally it would do both). Its the result of a lot of side spin once your ball slows down from its tragectory the spin takes over and it slices.  The second one you show also incorporates pushing the ball. Its pretty aggravating you think you hit a good drive then, wham off it goes

Yup, that's a slice.  You're clubface is square at impact, but you're swinging out-to-in, which puts sidespin on the ball.  So it will go out straight for awhile, then curve to the right.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

I asked a pro online and he said it wasn't a slice. He said a slice starts out going right from the very beginning. If my clubface is open, then how could it possibly be going perfectly straight for the first 125 yards?

LOL - who's the 'pro'

A slice that starts right immediately is a push slice - yours is a slice.

A closed club face with an out to in swing path will cause pull slices ( starts left, works right )

A square club face with and out to in swing path will cause your type of slice ( starts straight, works right )

An open club face with an out to in swing path will cause a push slice ( starts right, keeps going right )

The picture your drew above shows the bottom ball flight starting straight, not right of the 'target'

I would say it is impossible for your ball to go straight 125 yards then curve right...I think maybe the first 10 - 15 yards is more probable

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

It's next to impossible for a ball to go 125 yards then realize that it's supposed to go right. You're hitting a straight slice- a shot that starts out straight, then slices right.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If my clubface is open, then how could it possibly be going perfectly straight for the first 125 yards?

The club face at impact dictates the starting direction of the ball at impact, about an 85% influence.  Your club face is open to the swing path , not necessarily open to the target line .  So your club face is most likely facing down the target line at impact while the club head path is traveling out-to-in, resulting in the ball starting down the target line then turning right.

Originally Posted by TheDude27

Face is square, path is out to in.  Going to an overly strong grip as you suggested may close the face and result in dead left pulls.

The FIX is a better swing path that goes in to out.... MrElculver2424 --> Post a video of your swing so we can all make suggestions on how you can fix your swing path.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• 2 years later...

Hi

I had the same problem and was told the ball starts turning after say the 150-200 yards because this is when the balls starts to slow down

I was coming over the top causing an outside in swing imparting side spin on the ball , that doesn't manifest itself until the ball slows down after it flies out there straight at first

I have changed my hip movements and has improved but still there

Very annoying

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem and essentially the same swing gets me a slight draw or a straight shot with every other club in the bag, if I don't inject any other flaw in my swing such as ball position or a harder swing.  And far as I know, this pattern is indeed a slice, a straight slice, induced by a slight out to in path with a straight club face at impact.

There are 2 easy fixes to this issue though.  First, is to obviously move the right foot slightly further back to encourage an in to out swing path but you will also have to move the ball a slight amount back from the left heel as well to accommodate the shift and to prevent a mishit due to realignment.

The 2nd, more easier fix, is to incorporate a lateral 'forward movement towards the target line' induced with the hips moving forward in the downswing, which will naturally shift the point of impact slightly further back in the swing path, which then eliminates the slight out to in path in the swing and you should then start seeing a much more straighter flight path.  All the pros have this lateral forward movement with all their clubs, which with the rest of the clubs produces the big divot and a 'ball first' hit.  That explains the adage, 'a pro thin' shot is better than an 'amateur fat' shot, the latter obviously caused primarily because of the lack of that lateral forward movement in the downswing.

The reason you hear that the swing is essentially the same across all the clubs is because of this lateral forward movement in the downswing.  Without this movement, you will see how the ball patterns change drastically for the driver.  Not so much with the other clubs, primarily due to the length of the clubs and probably due to a more compact swing with them.

Hope this helps your case!

Your club face is open at impact. The next step ,if you can't fix it totally, is your gonna play a fade . it sucks I know i have it. and spent a lot of money and time trying to get rid of it good luck...

Maybe it is still a slice, I don't know. Maybe he was wrong, or didn't understand my description of my problem.

It is a kind of slice, and your pro may have been wrong.   I had the same slice before.  Once in a while, it still raises its ugly head.  It's not so hard to fix.  There are threads about this in this forum.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Your club face is open at impact. The next step ,if you can't fix it totally, is your gonna play a fade . it sucks I know i have it. and spent a lot of money and time trying to get rid of it good luck...

Open to the path but not to the target, ball starts where the face is pointing and curves away from the path.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

It is a kind of slice, and your pro may have been wrong.   I had the same slice before.  Once in a while, it still raises its ugly head.  It's not so hard to fix.  There are threads about this in this forum.

Yep.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

ball starts where the face is pointing and curves away from the path.

I remember reading that in the thread ... I actually have printed it out, and have it on my office wall. Short and sweet ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 2600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!