IGNORED

[SOLVED, thanks] Advise on irons, HCP 10,9

Note: This thread is 4639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need some advise in my attempt to navigate the equiptment jungle in the world of golf. I started playing a little last year after a 7 year break from golf, which has left me ages behind, not knowing which models from the different brands will match my needs.   I currently use Callaway X-16 Pro with regular flex shafts. I swing too hard for the shafts, resulting in an uncontrolled ballflight often resembling a hook, which made me realize that I need to try something new.   I have a high ball flight (trajectory) with my current irons, and I do not have much consistency i my ballstriking, but I hope training will help me gain consistency. I like to work with a draw, and I would like to think that I can get good enough to be able to work ball flights and trajectories.   I am a student with limited financial resources, so custom fitting and new irons is out of the questions - i purchased my current set for 1200 dkk / 145

Don't know what shipping would cost to Denmark, but you can assemble this set yourself (4-PW, GW) for about $225 USD, or have The Golfworks assemble them for you for another $40 USD.  Sounds like you might do well with the FST Pro 115 stepless shaft in S flex.

Can you get someone to fit you for at least the proper length that would work best for you?

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_PMA0110

pma0110.jpg

If ballstriking is still an area in need of improvement, I'd look towards a game improvement or players cavity back.

The good news is that with $200-$300 to spend, there are numerous high-quality sets that can be picked up used.  Start browsing through the 2000-2009 products from Callaway, TaylorMade, Ping, Cleveland, Titleist, Mizuno, etc... I'd first look around (online or otherwise) to find out which brands of irons fit your eye.  Callaways are a bit think and clunky, Pings tend to be more angular, Titleist and Mizuno are more classic looking, etc...

Popular irons include the Ping G series (G2, G5, G10, G15), Cleveland CG series (CG Red, CG Gold, CG7, CG7 tour), Mizuno MX and MP series (MX 200, MX 300, MP 57, MP58), Taylormade (rac, R7, R9) and Callaway (X-14, X-16, X-18, X-20, X-22 etc..)

Once you've got an idea what you like the looks of, you can begin to find the model that offers the balance of playability and forgiveness based upon your swing and shot types.

For what it's worth, I have a set of Titleist DCI 962 (players cavity back) from 2000 with s300 shafts and new Golf Pride New Decade grips that I'd be willing to part with.  Really loved these things, but the shafts are too soft.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post

Don't know what shipping would cost to Denmark, but you can assemble this set yourself (4-PW, GW) for about $225 USD, or have The Golfworks assemble them for you for another $40 USD.  Sounds like you might do well with the FST Pro 115 stepless shaft in S flex.

Can you get someone to fit you for at least the proper length that would work best for you?

pma0110.jpg

I do not have any possibility of fitting – I am all new to the local golf community after a long break, and I do not know anyone playing golf, except from my father – so far, at least. I like the idea of fully customizing this way (Golfworks), but I am not sure if I feel comfortable ordering this way, and I also have a feeling that the cost of shipping to Denmark might be more than I can afford. I will look a bit more into the site though, thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by delav

If ballstriking is still an area in need of improvement, I'd look towards a game improvement or players cavity back.

The good news is that with $200-$300 to spend, there are numerous high-quality sets that can be picked up used.  Start browsing through the 2000-2009 products from Callaway, TaylorMade, Ping, Cleveland, Titleist, Mizuno, etc... I'd first look around (online or otherwise) to find out which brands of irons fit your eye.  Callaways are a bit think and clunky, Pings tend to be more angular, Titleist and Mizuno are more classic looking, etc...

Popular irons include the Ping G series (G2, G5, G10, G15), Cleveland CG series (CG Red, CG Gold, CG7, CG7 tour), Mizuno MX and MP series (MX 200, MX 300, MP 57, MP58), Taylormade (rac, R7, R9) and Callaway (X-14, X-16, X-18, X-20, X-22 etc..)

Once you've got an idea what you like the looks of, you can begin to find the model that offers the balance of playability and forgiveness based upon your swing and shot types.

For what it's worth, I have a set of Titleist DCI 962 (players cavity back) from 2000 with s300 shafts and new Golf Pride New Decade grips that I'd be willing to part with.  Really loved these things, but the shafts are too soft.

After browsing, googling and searching on the basis of the advice above from delav (Thank you very much, very usable information!), I think I am closing in a bit, but I am probably still far from an actual purchase. I have used golfbidder.com to get an idea on prices, as my experience is that used sets go for a bit less than the prices here. Many of the sets I have looked at seem to be way out of my price range, though.

Regarding the looks, I do not have that much of a preference.  I like the looks of my Callaway X-16 Pro, I remember not being fond of the “PING-look” when I played 8 years ago, and by looking around I find the Mizuno irons to be easy on the eyes. I do not like what I think must be the off-set look [hosel?], and I prefer a thin topline.

I have been looking at the following so far:

• Mizuno MP-60, seem to fit reasonably, but with a price at £240 on golfbidder
  • Callaway X-20 tour, I know what I get, but not easy to find in my pricerange
  • Cleveland CG7 Tour, found at £199 on golfbidder
  • Titleist AP1, I do not know much about Titleist irons, but these seem to be good, but hard to find used in my pricerange

I have been looking at other irons, but I am not sure what will be suitable. Which Taylormade irons (specific model?) will be equivalent to some of the above? Titleist? Maybe Nike? Srixon?

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

I do not have any possibility of fitting – I am all new to the local golf community after a long break, and I do not know anyone playing golf, except from my father – so far, at least. I like the idea of fully customizing this way (Golfworks), but I am not sure if I feel comfortable ordering this way, and I also have a feeling that the cost of shipping to Denmark might be more than I can afford. I will look a bit more into the site though, thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by delav

After browsing, googling and searching on the basis of the advice above from delav (Thank you very much, very usable information!), I think I am closing in a bit, but I am probably still far from an actual purchase. I have used golfbidder.com to get an idea on prices, as my experience is that used sets go for a bit less than the prices here. Many of the sets I have looked at seem to be way out of my price range, though.

Regarding the looks, I do not have that much of a preference.  I like the looks of my Callaway X-16 Pro, I remember not being fond of the “PING-look” when I played 8 years ago, and by looking around I find the Mizuno irons to be easy on the eyes. I do not like what I think must be the off-set look [hosel?], and I prefer a thin topline.

I have been looking at the following so far:

• Mizuno MP-60, seem to fit reasonably, but with a price at £240 on golfbidder
  • Callaway X-20 tour, I know what I get, but not easy to find in my pricerange
  • Cleveland CG7 Tour, found at £199 on golfbidder
  • Titleist AP1, I do not know much about Titleist irons, but these seem to be good, but hard to find used in my pricerange

I have been looking at other irons, but I am not sure what will be suitable. Which Taylormade irons (specific model?) will be equivalent to some of the above? Titleist? Maybe Nike? Srixon?

I don't know what shipping is like to Denmark, but you could always have someone stateside purchase a set from eBay and ship them to you.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I don't know what shipping is like to Denmark, but you could always have someone stateside purchase a set from eBay and ship them to you.

If I were to choose the golfworks solution, this could indeed be a solution. As for now I would prefer a known brand, cf. the considerations in the post above. @SGSII via Tapatalk

I think Adams Golf is a brand you should really take a look at.   They make great irons, (i game some a4r's) and do not hold their resale value very well.

So used sets can be found cheap online.  Heck, i got my irons new for $299!!!  Take a look at adams.

Also, check out callawaygolfpreowned.com/  Its a great place to fine used callaway clubs in great shape at great prices.  And if you sign up to their website, they will e-mail you promo codes.

I think Adams Golf is a brand you should really take a look at.   They make great irons, (i game some a4r's) and do not hold their resale value very well.   So used sets can be found cheap online.  Heck, i got my irons new for $299!!!  Take a look at adams.   Also, check out callawaygolfpreowned.com/  Its a great place to fine used callaway clubs in great shape at great prices.  And if you sign up to their website, they will e-mail you promo codes.

Adams is not easy to find used here in Denmark, but I will keep my eyes open. I am actually already receiving callaway preowned's mails, but had forgot about them. As far as I remember the only reason I didn't buy my current driver there was high delivery costs. I will have to check the costs of sending a setbof irons, when I open my computer. The prices are very good and it could be an easy upgrade to x18 pro or x20 tour at a good price. @SGSII via Tapatalk

Just looked into callawaypreowned.com, and the shipping costs will be 77 dollars. On top of that I could risk having to pay VAT, taxes and import fees.

300$ Callaway X-18 tour + 2,7% customs + 25% VAT + 77$ shipping costs + 30$ import fee = (cirka) 490 $

Soo, it seems ordering from the states could get more expensive than I find amusing. 300$ seems to be a good price, but with all cost included, i could end at 490$. Ouch!

Take a look at the Burners. Now that the 2.0 version is out, a buddy of mine was able to get a new set of the first version (4-PW, AW) real cheap, like <$250. After seeing what it takes to get clubs to your country though, you might have to start looking used. I like my Titleist 762s a lot, but I guess they're considered super old these days.

Since you like your Callaways, why not get them reshafted? Could be the cheapest option of all unless you have to have a new set.

Originally Posted by 5nDive

Take a look at the Burners. Now that the 2.0 version is out, a buddy of mine was able to get a new set of the first version (4-PW, AW) real cheap, like <$250. After seeing what it takes to get clubs to your country though, you might have to start looking used. I like my Titleist 762s a lot, but I guess they're considered super old these days.

Since you like your Callaways, why not get them reshafted? Could be the cheapest option of all unless you have to have a new set.

I haven't considered reshafting at all so far. Maybe because I haven't got any experience with it, and I wouldn't know where to go. I will keep it in mind, and see what I can find out.

I have been looking into some TaylorMade irons, but I'm not sure what is the best. I haven't found many Burner sets in my pricerange (looking at Golfbidder.com as a price reference), and I'm not sure which kind of Burner sets will fit my needs. Would it be the Burner Tour (08)?

I have also been looking at TaylorMade RAC LT2 - could these be the irons for me?

Besides the above, I would like some input on my considerations so far (the URL's referring to the offers I'm looking at):

Cleveland CG7 Tour - These seem to fit, and are currently on auction, so I might get a good deal

Mizuno MP-60 - I find Mizuno's wide range to be a jungle, but these seem to fit the price and needs.

Titleist Forged 735.CM or Forged 755 - A bit more expensive than I would like, but maybe they are the solution?

King Cobra Carbon CB - close to my pricerange, and seem to fit my needs.

Ping confuses me - I'm not sure what I should look for (i15 ot i5 maybe?), and they are more expensive than other brands.

I am also still considering Callaway X-18 Pro, and keeping an open mind - I am finding new irons i like every time I explore the market.

Quote:

Besides the above, I have been recommended Callaway X-tour. Agree/disagree?

@SGSII via Tapatalk

Yes. I found some X20 Tours - shafted in PX 5.0 - on Callaway Pre-Owned. Got them at Christmas, and really like them. You can tell on impact if you have an excellent, a so-so, or a poor shot. I can feel the groove now on my iron shots. (My HDCP remains high, however, due to wild tee shots. I had four drives OB last time I played).

X20 Tours have a higher Maltby Playability Factor (716) than the X22 Tours (594). Also, the lie on X20 Tours can be adjusted, but not on the X22 Tours.

Callaway PreOwned has a backlog X20 Tours shafted in PX 6.0 variations. You say you swing hard, so 6.0 might work - if not, you could lighten the flex with softstepping, or maybe find a 5.5 flex. Price for 3-PW in like new is $445.

From the corporate stock standpoint, Callaway is losing money. Don't know if you could bargain with them to cut the price, or give you free shipping. (I know, even with free ship, the VAT is a killer).

Hope this info helps.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by SonniBoy

After browsing, googling and searching on the basis of the advice above from delav (Thank you very much, very usable information!), I think I am closing in a bit, but I am probably still far from an actual purchase. I have used golfbidder.com to get an idea on prices, as my experience is that used sets go for a bit less than the prices here.

Forget Golfbidder.com ..... it is a nice site giving you info on clubs and last years models, but the prices are way to high, just ask them what you would get for the same set you are interested in ....... get a quote for a similar set ...... it is about 40% of the price they sell it....... so visit a local marketplace or personal adds website, they mostly also have a large golf section, you will be able to find a similar set for a bargain. A few weeks ago I bought a near new set of MP-67 for about $200 and had many other quality sets to choose from at about $200 with a few emails to the owners/sellers......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Quote:

Yes. I found some X20 Tours - shafted in PX 5.0 - on Callaway Pre-Owned. Got them at Christmas, and really like them. You can tell on impact if you have an excellent, a so-so, or a poor shot. I can feel the groove now on my iron shots. (My HDCP remains high, however, due to wild tee shots. I had four drives OB last time I played).

X20 Tours have a higher Maltby Playability Factor (716) than the X22 Tours (594). Also, the lie on X20 Tours can be adjusted, but not on the X22 Tours.

Callaway PreOwned has a backlog X20 Tours shafted in PX 6.0 variations. You say you swing hard, so 6.0 might work - if not, you could lighten the flex with softstepping, or maybe find a 5.5 flex. Price for 3-PW in like new is $445.

From the corporate stock standpoint, Callaway is losing money. Don't know if you could bargain with them to cut the price, or give you free shipping. (I know, even with free ship, the VAT is a killer).

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the input, you brought some very usable information to the table! I have also been looking at the X-20 Tour, and your description of your experience with them seem to match my needs.

I do not think I will be using Callaway preowned, but if no other site can match the offers, the bargaining solution could be tempting.

PS. Wild teeshots are my enemy too - our driving range is not long enough (par 3 at the end behind a net), so I cannot train with more than my 3-iron. Last two 9-hole practice rounds: 22 points w/ 71% fairway hits and then 16 points w/ 14% fairway hits.

Originally Posted by Gerald

Forget Golfbidder.com ..... it is a nice site giving you info on clubs and last years models, but the prices are way to high, just ask them what you would get for the same set you are interested in ....... get a quote for a similar set ...... it is about 40% of the price they sell it....... so visit a local marketplace or personal adds website, they mostly also have a large golf section, you will be able to find a similar set for a bargain. A few weeks ago I bought a near new set of MP-67 for about $200 and had many other quality sets to choose from at about $200 with a few emails to the owners/sellers......

I have also primarily been using them as a price reference, as I had hoped to find a set of irons used on danish sites similar to this and similar to ebay (but a lot smaller sites though, as Denmark is a small country).

I have just got an offer to buy a set of Titleist 735.CM in good shape for about 190$ incl. shipping, while the best offer on Golfbidder for the same set is 353$ including all cost.

Originally Posted by SonniBoy

I have just got an offer to buy a set of Titleist 735.CM in good shape for about 190$ incl. shipping, while the best offer on Golfbidder for the same set is 353$ including all cost.

Great set !!! Not the easiest, but by the time you can control these you will have improved your ballstriking a lot.

http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/735CM.pdf

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonniBoy View Post

Great set !!! Not the easiest, but by the time you can control these you will have improved your ballstriking a lot.

http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/735CM.pdf

I went ahead and bought them. Will receive them within the next couple of days - hope my game can do them justice :-) If not, I won't lose money selling them at the same price as I bought them, and then I will be a bit wiser when buying another set. @SGSII via Tapatalk

Note: This thread is 4639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!