IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

185 off the grass and up to 200 off the tee. However, I don't use it too often as my 3 Hybrid is more versatile and easier to hit.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

5 iron is the least used club in my bag. I guess around 175-180ish

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

It's just another of those recycled macho threads, I think.

I hit it about 175 on average with 180 as a good shot. With about a hundred times more spread than the pro's, though.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

lol at all the 15+ handicaps who hit there 5 iron 210 yards.... if ya say so

consistantly i hit my 5 iron 175-180 carry if i swing out my shoes i can carry it 190 but it could go any where, this is in England btw where its a lot colder that US so it will change.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

185, no roll...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I usually hit it around 160Metres which is what, around 170 or 80 yards? Im still working on it however as it is not always as accurate as i would like..

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Home Course: Gawler Golf Club
Glove: Nike Tech Feel
Balls: Nike Power Flight

5-iron carry is 175 with a standard swing, 182ish when I stomp on it.

Driver: Ping Rapture 9*
3metal: Titleist 904F 15*
Hybrids: Adams Idea 18* and 20*
Irons: Titleist 690CB (4-PW)
Wedgies: Titleist Oil Can 54* and 58*Putter: Ping AllyBall: Pro V1x

Hello,

I am new here and unfortunately, do not yet have the ability to make my own threads, so I have a question that I would like to ask here, and my query is of a similar vein to this thread.
I started playing about three months ago and have been going to the driving range a couple of times a week. Every time I gain proficiency (competency) in a club, I move on to the next one. I started with my wedge and am currently playing with my 2 iron hybrid. My question is as follows:
I am at the point that my average (good) shot is straight down the fairway 190-210 yards without a tee. I still slice a few or top a few off in every ten, but the good ones travel that far. Should I be content with that distance from a 2 iron hybrid? Would a new ball as opposed to a driving range ball go further? How much further? Would a premium club as opposed to my $200 set of clubs help? How much? What distance should I be striving for?
Thank you for your time and help.

Berk

Hello,

Golf can get real expensive, real quick. I'd suggest staying with your starter set until you know for sure you're going to play golf regularly in the near future. 200+ yards with a #2 hybrid is a good distance for that club for any amatuer player.

Driver: Ping Rapture 9*
3metal: Titleist 904F 15*
Hybrids: Adams Idea 18* and 20*
Irons: Titleist 690CB (4-PW)
Wedgies: Titleist Oil Can 54* and 58*Putter: Ping AllyBall: Pro V1x

lol at all the 15+ handicaps who hit there 5 iron 210 yards.... if ya say so

What does your handicap have to do with how far you hit a 5 iron? Your handicap has to do with what you score not how far you hit each club...I play with a guy who consistently shoots in the 70's and is probably around a 5 handicap and I am 2 clubs stronger then him through the whole bag. He is a very good long iron player (straight not far) and can pretty much get up and down from anywhere. He keeps telling me that once my short game gets better (I am working on it) I will have no problem being a single digit handicap.

By the way my carry distance on my 5 iron is 190-195...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Maybe we should start a new thread of "how far do you throw your 5 iron", much more fun to read than hitting the 5 iron

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

What does your handicap have to do with how far you hit a 5 iron? Y

how many 18 - 30 handicappers do you know that hit the ball that far, if your hitting the ball 190 - 200 and u play of anything above 20 u must be sh*t end of, point im making is that the vast majority of people on here are lying about there distance lol its an ego boost for them but its not the truth and if you hit your 5 iron 190 and play of 14, then your doing a lot wrong imo

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

how many 18 - 30 handicappers do you know that hit the ball that far, if your hitting the ball 190 - 200 and u play of anything above 20 u must be sh*t end of, point im making is that the vast majority of people on here are lying about there distance lol its an ego boost for them but its not the truth and if you hit your 5 iron 190 and play of 14, then your doing a lot wrong imo

There is no doubt that some, not necessarily many, of the people on this site are stretching their distances for ego purposes. However, most of the people here are very serious golfers. There are lots of things that can cause a high handicap. I'm a 16 because I am not consistent. I'm not consistent because I don't have time to practice. I also tend to throw in one or two blow up holes per side. This has nothing to do with how far I can hit my irons. If I try to crush my 5 Iron I know I can easily hit it over 200 yards. I can also hit it 120 when I try to crush it or 150 out and 50 right.

If you look back a few pages in this thread it shows the average distance of several PGA Tour pros. The difference is these guys are taking a regular swing. If you asked them, they could likely hit it 10+ yards further if they had to. They play within themselves. Many high handicapers, including myself too often, don't dial it down enough.
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I accept your point that *some* of the people are stating their realistic distances but either most people are lying or have had a big bounce etc, to put it in to perspective if you hit a 200 yard 5 iron then realistically you will be carrying a 3 iron roughly 220 - 230, now the pro's, who follow a strict fitness regime designed purely for golf are hitting their irons this far, and this is the longer hitting pro's reaching these yardages, most amateurs, especially those with high handicaps don't have either the strength or the potential in their swing to hit distances like this.

yes i have hit 230 yard 3 irons but i can guarantee it wasn't carry and i think that people assume there total yardage is their carry distance.

I use a 3 hybrid on the two par 3's that are 220 and 225 every week. I can reach both without any problem distance wise. Accuracy is a different issue. Until I got a driver that I loved and before the hybrid existed, I used my 3 iron off the tee on tight par 4's. 230-240 was well within reason and I was a 20+ then.

The bigger issue is not how far can you hit a 5 iron, it should be how far do you realistically expect to hit a 5 iron. That is what the pros are saying. I would expect that many of the people here are going by what they have done on their best shots or at least better shots.

A better question might be what club would you use if you were on a 180 yard par 3? There is no wind and there is water fronting the green. Neither the green or the tee are elevated.

Maybe the ball goes 20 yards further in US than England cos' i dont know of any 15+ handicaps that hit there 3 irons a comfortable 230 yards lol

either way for those who are lying half the reason your handicaps so high is probably because your hitting the ball so hard, drop down a club, take a long smooth swing and watch your GIR stats rocket

Note: This thread is 4160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!