IGNORED

What is the diference between a Titleist D2 tour issued head and a regular one?

Note: This thread is 4642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wanted to know if anyone know what the difference is between a Titleis 909 D2 tour issue head from the ones you buy at the stores. Is there anything different in the face (thinner, different components)??

I see that this heads are significantly more expensive on ebay than the regular heads.

Thnaks.

:sunmountain: C 130 Cart Bag :titleist: 910 D2 Driver 8.5° Fujikura ROMBAX 7Z08 Stiff (280 yds)
titleist.gif 909 F2 #3 13.5° Blueboard S- (260 yrs) titleist.gif 909 H 17° Voodoo S (240 yds) :mizuno: MP 58 4i to PW PX 6.0 (210-200-185-170-160-145-135 yds) vokey.gif  50°/6 (120) 55°/10 (105) 60°/4(90)

:nike: Untitized Tiempo putter Ball: any top ball on sale, currently Srixon Z Star Tour yellow.

I believe that tour issue heads are generally more open, while regulars are genrally neutral to draw bias.

Originally Posted by inthecup

I don't think there is a difference. It allows you more shaft choices.

How does it allow you more shaft choices than a regular head?

Tour issued is a fancy word for a head that is essentially a custom part. Any given head is no different then the one in stores in any large way. However the reason they are "Tour Issued" is because they come in configurations that you cant buy in a store or even order online. Some of them are as much as 3 or 4 degrees open. Some of them are slightly smaller then stock heads. Some of them have loft angles that are not available in a store. Some have features like overly thick faces, for example long drive heads have thicker faces so they dont blow up.

They are more expensive because less are made. Thousands of stock models are produced any given year however less then 100 of each version of a Tour model might be made in a year because they are not meant to be sold. They are meant to be built and delivered to a pro who wants that specific configuration.

Long story short if you want a 3 degree open 7.5 degree loft driver then you might need a tour issued model but the average joe is never gonna be able to hit that so...

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Probably the biggest difference between what the pro's are playing and what you can grab off the shelf is that the specs (loft, lie, COG, weight, etc) are much, much more accurate.  You might get a 10.5° driver off the shelf that could actually measure 12.75° or maybe even 9.5°.  Face angles will be square to open to waaaay open.  Typically no draw bias.  I've read that many are lighter (<200g) to accommodate rat glue/foam/etc to spec to head to the player.

Thanks for your input, my question was aimed mainly to the fact that a lot of the guys that are selling this clubs/club heads are advertising as them having a hot melt technology or something like that. I can understand that the Tour issued heads have some loft/lie difference from the regular heads since they are custom made. Thanks again.

:sunmountain: C 130 Cart Bag :titleist: 910 D2 Driver 8.5° Fujikura ROMBAX 7Z08 Stiff (280 yds)
titleist.gif 909 F2 #3 13.5° Blueboard S- (260 yrs) titleist.gif 909 H 17° Voodoo S (240 yds) :mizuno: MP 58 4i to PW PX 6.0 (210-200-185-170-160-145-135 yds) vokey.gif  50°/6 (120) 55°/10 (105) 60°/4(90)

:nike: Untitized Tiempo putter Ball: any top ball on sale, currently Srixon Z Star Tour yellow.

Just wanted to know if anyone know what the difference is between a Titleis 909 D2 tour issue head from the ones you buy at the stores. Is there anything different in the face (thinner, different components)??

I see that this heads are significantly more expensive on ebay than the regular heads.

Thnaks.

You have pretty much answered your own question. They sell for higher prices. There may be somthing special about some of them, like a version not generally released to the public, but the majority are the same as stock versions, but you have the opportunity to pay more and tell your friends , in a casual way, that the club is "tour isue".

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I believe that tour issue heads are generally more open, while regulars are genrally neutral to draw bias.

How does it allow you more shaft choices than a regular head?

You are right about shafts. It's irrelevant. As for the OP, he's asking about tour issue, not "tour" versions.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by jsocas

Thanks for your input, my question was aimed mainly to the fact that a lot of the guys that are selling this clubs/club heads are advertising as them having a hot melt technology or something like that.

Here's your "hot melt technology"... ie: rat glue:  http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/trapper-glue-gallon-p-1205.html?osCsid=e89d8ef965cb0d24b5960da5cf581ef5

trapper_glue.jpg

As for the eBay heads that are selling for more than the over the counter versions....... most of those sellers know that there are suckers like Shorty mentioned, that will sell the children for the chance to own a Titleist "Tour Issue head just like the one Rory used to win the US Open!"  For those eBay heads, it's totally BUYER BEWARE!!  Chances are what you will receive is a tour version head that some schmuck traded in for the latest and newest driver guaranteeing him 7 yards over his old out of date 1.5 year old driver.

they are just made to tighter specs. ive spent some time in various tour vans and they told me that "tour issue" just means that it is EXACTLY what it says it is. so if its a 9.5 driver its a gonna be close to that, so around a 9.4 or a 9.6 kinda range. hope this helps!

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

Note: This thread is 4642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!