IGNORED

The move from the top

Note: This thread is 6230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any one got any good tips/swing thoughts for the transition into the downswing?

I have a bad habit of turning the shoulders too quickly and dipping forward, narrowing the downswing. I know what I'm doing but just don't seem to be able to get hold of a decent feeling of what I should be doing.

Please help! I'm losing distance and accuracy!

Some people say turn your hips as fast as you can and let your arms and hands follow, others say drive your right knee which automatically forces your hips open, others say drop your right elbow against your right hip, others say start with a lateral shift and then turn, others say turn your torso as fast as you possibly can around a stable spine while others say throw the club like a hammer from the top, etc.... What you ultimately do is up to you. As long as it works, I say Don't suppose you have a swing coach you could talk to?

Hi Pickapocket

It is really trying your swing and tempo to see what works for you.

For me, I stick to what works for me.. As for my downswing, in the earlier part of the swing, there is a slight lateral movement from right to left before my hip turns to clear the way for my hands.

I am open to comments on my swing...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Pickapocket!

If you don't mind a thought from a brand new member, I'll be happy to toss in my two cents. Just keep in mind that's usually what my advice is worth...

I've struggled with the same thing. I've had a couple of revelations over the past year or so, and I'm really starting to see some improvements in the transition. Maybe this'll be the season!

My first ah-ha moment came in a conversation with my teacher while I was asking about the first move down. He said: "The first move isn't down, it's forward". Well, that really didn't help much, because if I think about any kind of a lateral move forward, it either ends up as a block or a flip of the hands. The enlightenment came as we discussed the fact that the move left is the beginning of the rotation of the torso, and the move left must go smoothly into the torso continuing rotating until it faces left of the target, and your weight ending up going into your left heel.

I'm the first to agree that there's more than one way to swing a golf club, and my swing is NOT a "keep your head still" swing. One of the drills we did to help me with the transition from the top and getting my weight going left was this: he would start with me at the top of the backswing, and he would put his hand against my left temple. He would then strongly resist, and would make me use force to get myself moving left and then continue to turn left of the target.

That's when I really understood how badly I'd been hanging back on my right side at impact, and why so many of my shots were fat. Now, I'm starting to feel my weight on my left foot as I'm getting into impact, and WOW, what a difference!

Anyway, as you can see, I can get a little wordy! Good luck!

Clay

• 4 weeks later...

The move from the top is essentially unwinding your "coil" in reverse order of the actions that got you to the top. The order of movement in the backswing is top-to-bottom. This means shoulders/arms/hands first as a single unit, hips naturally follow shoulders by turning right, and finally weight distribution will naturally favor the right foot since you're near fully turned to the top at this point.

Assuming you've gotten to the top properly, all actions are in reverse order in a bottom-to-top fashion. This means from the feet upwards. First thing is weight gets shifted to the left foot along with a possible hip slide to the left (as described above can be achieved in various ways by BNguyen), then the hips turn left which automatically pull the shoulders/arms/hands along for the ride. As illustrated with Fisher's post above, the movement of weight to the left side before anything else is crucial.

There are 2 important actions going on at the top which initiate the downswing. 1. The arms/hands are still moving "upwards" near the "top position" as 2. the weight is being shifted to the left foot. This is creating swing lag, and is a powerful position full of potential energy like a coil wanting to unspring itself. (except the coil is your body) In other words, the feet are already starting their shift leftward starting the "downswing" before the hands get to their apex (the inevitable top of the swing).

Think of how you'd snap the end of a wet towel or crack a whip...it's a similar concept.

However, all this crap is useless unless you have a good grip, address, posture/setup position, takeaway swing plane, tempo, balance, etc etc.

Hope you're able to make something useful out of this post. Cheers.

I have to completely agree with Titleism, this will be my 6th season playing golf and it took my 5 years to figure out this move from the top, I kept trying to put the club in position and swing from the inside. I think the biggest problem with this game is that people get to the top of the swing and then try to put the club in the right position in the donwswing using their arms. I had the same mistake for years. It was not until my 5th year i finally figured it out!!!! when you get to the top of your swing your arms do nothing to initiate the downswing. I agree with titleism, your forearms have to stay completely relaxed through the swing and when you get to the top the unwinding of the lower body and uncoiling is what gets you into the right position. Your arms never hit at the ball, the club and arms are simply just along for the ride exactly like a whip, when you feel the lag from uncoiling you will consistently hit ball after ball straight. It is tough concept to grab but when you get it you will know it.
any comments?

Just a little feel thought, for those who are body swingers, or single plane. The transition from the top feels like unwinding. Excessive effort at the top destroys timing. Focusing on this unwinding feeling allows you to naturally accelerate the club. Yes there is a little roll off the back foot, the left side does pull down, the hips do open. This feel thought I believe helps keep the swing in proper sequence.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Among my collection of video lessons I did one on the roll of the right shoulder which actually has a lot to do with your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJKpu0EWn4

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

I have similar problems, and when I remember to have a subtle pause at the top of my swing to make the transition, it usually works out well.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 6230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!