IGNORED

Which irons do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to irons? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

I use Callaway Big Bertha X12 irons with steel shafts. I find them really easy to hit. I would say they are better for higher handicap players, but since my handicap approaches infinity that's good for me.

--Will
In my bag:

Driver: Launcher 460Ti 10.5° ProLaunch R Flex
Woods: Launcher 3 wood 15°, Old Golfsmith 5 and 7 woods I built
Irons: Big Bertha X-12 Irons 3-PWedge: 588 Gunmetal Sand Wedge 56°Putter: B60i putter

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland CG2 Forged Irons 3-PW, GW, SW x-stiff steel shaft.

Amazing feel. I hit the 3-iron as high as any irons I've ever hit. 3 iron goes about 220 yards.

Best irons I've ever hit. I was reluctant to go away from the muscle back irons I've favored in the past. With the CG2, I sacrifice very little to any in the touch department, and gain a noticeable amount on the height and carry of my longer irons. My CG2 3-iron has a ball flight that most would expect from a 6 iron.

Driver: Callaway FT-5 Tour 9.5 neutral, Fujikura Fit-On 380 Shaft
3 Wood: Callaway X-Tour 13 degree, X-Stiff Steel Shaft
5 Wood/Hybrid: Callaway X-Hybrid 18 degree, Stiff Graphite Shaft
Irons: Cleveland CG2 Forged 3-PW, GW, SW, X-Stiff Steel Shaft
Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum NewportBal...

Mizuno MP-37... Love the feel of these irons

905R YS-6+ 9.5*
904F YS-6+ 15* & 19*
MP-60 3-PW S300
MP-R 52* S300
MP-R 56* S300 Blade Centre Shaft Hot 2 TP-Red

im really surprised to see mizuno in the lead in this pole. i had no idea they were that popular. i thought calloway or ping would be in the lead by a lot of votes.

on a side note i have cleveland launcher lp irons i got from tgw.com at a heck of a bargain. im getting use to them now after playing about 3 or 4 rounds with them. im liking them more and more every time i play them. my ball striking is improving and i like the flight pattern much better than my old nomad irons. they have a really nice look while im sitting over them and they are very forgiving, my mishits still go a long way though off target. cant beat these for the extremely low price tag.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

im really surprised to see mizuno in the lead in this pole. i had no idea they were that popular. i thought calloway or ping would be in the lead by a lot of votes.

This poll most likely does not reflect that of the averagfe golfer. Most of the people that come here are more die-hard and are more apt to really search out the one that fits their game. That's not to say that Calloway, Taylor Made or Ping are lesser clubs. It's just that clubs like Mizuno and Titleist have a reputation as players clubs.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Just bought set of Maxfli revolutions, 3 and 4 hybrid, 5-PW Irons. (Affordable version of taylor mades)

Driver-Callaway FT-5 Draw 9.5"

3WD-Callaway Hawkeye 15*

Hybrid-Callaway FT 21*

Irons-Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-P

Wedges-Callaway Big Bertha Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter-Odyssey White Hot #1

I play Ping ISI-K's 4-PW. Removed my 3I and 5W from the bag, got a Callaway 18° hybrid and an extra wedge, 52°.

I know the Pings are old, and there is new technology out there, but irons have not come as long a way as say drivers and balls, or even shoes for that matter, and if you find something that you like, I say stick with it!

Before these I had Tommy Armour 845's (oversized) and they were pretty great too. I've been fortunate in the iron department, not a whole lotta trial and error for me...
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

what do people recomend for someones first purchase of irons. I hit the range, practice chipping, or play almost every day so far this summer. I guess i'm a beginner who knows a lot about the game. I played a lot as a kid but didnt stick with it. Well now I play and love it. I'm looking for something thats a forgiving club that I can grow into for the next few years as my game evolves. I was thinking g5's or big berthas but what do you guys recomend. I have a set of taylormades right now that were a friends old clubs but I think around christmas time I may buy something.

I had to choose other, I'm using the

I'm shopping for new irons.

Are they any good? Are you using the blades or cavity backs?

I purchased Titleist 775 CB's about a month ago. I had the original Nike Slingshots and just never got over the fat sole. The Titleist's aren't as thin as blades but they are thinner than most game improvement iron's. I have hit more shots at the pin and in scoring position with them in one month than I did with the Nike's in 3 years.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

I would say that you should either go with the MP-60s, Raptures or 775s

leave the MP-67s and like for when you learn to work the ball... besides, most of your improvement would prolly come with the short game right now

good luck and have fun trying out all the clubs there are to offer

905R YS-6+ 9.5*
904F YS-6+ 15* & 19*
MP-60 3-PW S300
MP-R 52* S300
MP-R 56* S300 Blade Centre Shaft Hot 2 TP-Red

This is my fourth season playing, my first year I played a set of northwestern irons (hand me downs from my Dad) and the next season after a long series of tests and research I bought a set of Cleveland TA2 irons. My instructor felt that they would allow me some workability down the road and he was right, I love being able to play a slight fade/cut shot when needed. I would love to have the CG2's as Spamination mentioned above, those clubs just feel like an even nicer version of what I play with now. I try not to change clubs a lot so it won't be happening this year but the fact you can now get them for under $500cdn is very tempting. My suggestion to all the prospective buyers on here is to try EVERY set of irons at the place where you are buying, don't let brand name decide for you. A friend of mine works at a golf shop and he always says to me that blind brand following often leads to buyers remorse and more purchases down the road.

"It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course" ~Hank Aaron, 1971

Robert's Golf Bag:
Taylormade R7 425 w/ S Flex Aldila NV65
Launcher Steel 3W & 5W S Flex Halo 3i S Flex TA2 Irons 4-PW 588 56* , 60* X2 PutterBall: HP Distance MX

This is my fourth season playing, my first year I played a set of northwestern irons (hand me downs from my Dad) and the next season after a long series of tests and research I bought a set of Cleveland TA2 irons. My instructor felt that they would allow me some workability down the road and he was right, I love being able to play a slight fade/cut shot when needed. I would love to have the CG2's as Spamination mentioned above, those clubs just feel like an even nicer version of what I play with now. I try not to change clubs a lot so it won't be happening this year but the fact you can now get them for under $500cdn is very tempting. My suggestion to all the prospective buyers on here is to try EVERY set of irons at the place where you are buying, don't let brand name decide for you. A friend of mine works at a golf shop and he always says to me that blind brand following often leads to buyers remorse and more purchases down the road.

i totally agree with you both. i just bought a set of cleveland cg2 irons and they feel so much more comfortable to me than the big berthas. the slimmer profile makes it feel lighter and i cant wait to work the ball. Cleveland Cg2 irons are by far the best "Players" iron i have ever used in my opinion.

What's In My Custom Bagboy Fleicshmans Bag:
Driver: Hibore with Aldila NV 65
Irons: CG2 Irons 3-PW
Wedges: 56 degree Reg.588 Tour Action Chrome Finish, 60 degree Vokey Design, vokey design 52*
Putter: milled series #3Hybrid: Rescue Mid 25 degree3 Wood: War HawkGolf Balls: Serious Play ...

For the guys with new irons... Absolute first thing to check is the loft and lie of the new sticks.

If you are hitting them many times better than your old ones right out of the gate, then something is different. Usually it can be attributed to wacky lie angles.

Often times when you pick up 5+ yards with new irons, it can just be a loft difference or the clubs may actually be longer.

Always check specs to make sure you are consistent as you tinker and try different things

Mizuno MP-33's. Bought them used in near perfect condition for $200. Before these I played a set of Ben Hogan Edge Forged circa 1989 (grandfather's set passed down). I also have a set of Hogan Medallion's from the 70's sitting in my bedroom. (Other grandfather's set.)

Note: This thread is 5588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!