IGNORED

Funniest Thing thats happened to you in golf.

Dent
Note: This thread is 6224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tell us all a story of the funniest thing thats happened to you on the golf course or the driving range.

Mine:

I was on the driving range very frustrated with myself because I could not make one single nice shot. Even worse i couldnt even get the ball in the air with my driver. So i took my anger out on it and threw a ball up in the air and hit it with my driver in mid air.

The driver head flew off into the range and went farther than the ball. I had to stop everyone from shooting so i could go get it. I just laughed....
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Haha.. Dent

I have exactly the same experience. I was at the driving range and was practising my 7-iron. My swing felt weird during one of my swings. Then I realised that the iron head has detached itself from the shaft and was airbourne....

I was so embarassed that I just gave up and decided to pack up and just leave. I told myself that i will find a new head for my 7-iron. Then one of the guys from the range told everyone to stop their practise and that I need to go retrieve the iron head. He then pass me an umbrella to carry along in case of a runaway golfer.

So embarassing....

I have two pretty good stories, one that happened to me and one to my playing partner.

First story -- I am playing a long dogleg left par 4, about 420 yds. with really tall trees along the left side making it almost impossible to cut the corner. The green is large and flat with a large bunker on the left side and a large pond on the right. Normally the pond doesn't some into play unless you are way way right.

For me it's a really tough hole as I'm not a real long hitter and I have to hit a great tee ball and follow it with a really good approach, usually from about 180+. So I hit a 3 wood off the tee, dead straight to position "A". I was about 185 out and pulled my trusty go-to 5 wood out. Normally I hit this thing like most people hit a 7I or 8I, it's automatic -- high and long. Only this time I hit it off the toe, very short and almost in the water.

I was steaming mad at myself and walked about two steps and saw another ball just in the rough. So I went over to it, rolled it back into the 2nd cut and let it rip at the middle of the pond. In the middle of the pond is a big fountain head which made a handy aiming point. I hit the sweetest shot, high and long and drilled the fountain head dead center! It made an incredible "doinggggg" sound that startled players on the surrounding two holes. If I had hit the same shot one shot earlier I would have been pin high!

Moral: Sometimes it's better to relax, then grip it and rip it.

2nd story -- I was playing with my golf coach in high school. He was a 75 year old retired banker. thin and wiry and couldn't hit the ball further than 185 or 190 with ANY club. But he hit it dead straight every time.

We tee it up on the 18th hole, a straight, rolling par 4 about 390 yards. The clubhouse drive runs along the left edge and is tree lined. The green sits in a swail right near the clubhouse by the parking lot. I hit a driver dead down the middle. My coach hits his tee ball and pulls it dead left, something I had never seen him do before. He just shook his head, figured the ball was gone and hit a provisional, which he played through the green.

Yep... his ball hit the drive and bounced and rolled and bounced all the way down to the left edge of the green. When we got there, we realized there were 3 balls on and the 3rd was his first ball. He dropped the putt, about 15 ft. for an eagle. I always teased him about being a long hitter affter that and sandbagging us off the tee...

Moral: Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

I was playing with my Dad and 2 of his friends one day when I didn't have much of a swing or game. The 15th hole at our course ran parallel in the opposite direction as our 14th hole. I teed off and pushed my drive to the right and nailed a guy on the fly right in the rib cage. He was down on the ground writhing in pain. We paid for his round of golf and cart as he could not continue. I felt absolutely awful until I noticed my Dad's friends laughing very hard. It seems that the guy I hit was absolutely HATED at the club. When we went into the clubhouse for a beer afterwards, I actually had people buy me drinks.

I think in retrospect, it is funny since the guy was fine (healthwise).
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

There's a par-3 course near me that I play frequently, especially over the summer when I had three hours of daylight left after getting home from work. On the second hole, if you hit it left of the green, there is a tree "guarding" the green -- you have to hit around.

I didn't figure this out that well, and I'd only been playing golf for about four months at this point. I've seen my shots "boomerang" (I now know that's a draw or fade), and I figured I could hit a half sand-wedge around this to boomerang, get on the green, and allow me to save par. Oh, how cool a save that would be and how much I would impress my friends.

I hit the ball too hard, it hit the tree, came back, and hit me square in the chest. I started laughing, which was good, because so did everyone else in my group.

Oddly, I'd been hit walking from the second tee to the second green earlier that week too... that one on the bounce from someone's missed PW shot.

"I never hit a hole in one, but I did hit a guy once. And that is far more satisfying. Do you know what par is for hitting a guy? One. Because if you hit a guy in two, ..." -- Mitch Hedberg

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6th hole Bethpage Black little gully to the right of the walking path is where they buried the water mains for the new irrigation system in the mid 80's.We ll they covered over the hole in the ground with plywood while they were still doing the installation of the system.A guy I was hooked up with is "ball hawking" in the rough all day and decides to go off the path to look again.Us 3 remaing golfers hear a large crack and look around and see nothing when all of a sudden a white Ping bag of clubs pops out of the earth and a voice call out "Take my clubs please".The 3 of us rolled on the ground for 10 min.and finnally helped the poor guy out of the hole.He attempted to walk over the plywood and fell into a 5 foot deep hole for a chance at finding a $1 golfball.To this day whenever I play the Black I tell that story to whoever is with me at that hole.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I was on a golf trip a few years back and we were at Doral. My buddies and I are on the practice range warming up before we play the White course. The range was pretty crowded with what looked to be some pretty serious golfers. One on my friends is lucky to break 100 when he plays and he was about 5 guys down from where I was hitting. It was hot and humid and he didn't have his glove on - you know where this is going. I look up and his driver is sailing end over - not out into the range but just in front of everybody hitting balls. Nobody got hit but a few guys were pretty pissed off. I was laughing so hard I was crying. He will never live that one down!

hah great stories, about the practise swing and accidently hitting it, i used to do that all the time. I step about 5 feet back now so i dont hit it, and if i do from there, then i really suck!
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

When I was about 12 my friend and I would play golf every day at the local muni during the summer. Several times we got matched up with a Catholic priest, Father Gotto. Now both of us were Protestants, but we respected the good father and enjoyed his company.

Well, one day we're playing by ourselves and I hit a bad shot and let out a stream of profanity including words describing acts that I wouldn't engage in for several more years. As luck would have it, I looked around after this catharsis and guess who was staring at me - you guessed it - Father Gotto.

I was never happier that I was a Protestant - and I never felt smaller.

6th hole Bethpage Black little gully to the right of the walking path is where they buried the water mains for the new irrigation system in the mid 80's.We ll they covered over the hole in the ground with plywood while they were still doing the installation of the system.A guy I was hooked up with is "ball hawking" in the rough all day and decides to go off the path to look again.Us 3 remaing golfers hear a large crack and look around and see nothing when all of a sudden a white Ping bag of clubs pops out of the earth and a voice call out "Take my clubs please".The 3 of us rolled on the ground for 10 min.and finnally helped the poor guy out of the hole.He attempted to walk over the plywood and fell into a 5 foot deep hole for a chance at finding a $1 golfball.To this day whenever I play the Black I tell that story to whoever is with me at that hole.

Thanks to everyone for their calls! We have a winner!

A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

lol, i have so many fits on the golf course its unheard of. And i feel bad sometimes for the people that golf with me at the beginning of last year. If i got one bad score i would pout for the whole round. I got another funny story.

I was on the driving range (again) and I was mad about not having any good shots at all. There was a guy hitting balls beside me and he went to go grab a drink. So without even thinking I see this golf glove on the ground and I rip it in half and through it out. Turns out, it was the guys glove who was beside me and when he called out "Hey, Where did my glove go?" I just casualy strolled away....
In My Bag

I took a buddy out golfing, he had never been.
Got to hole number 4 par 5.
I guess he thought he put all his might into the swing.
The golf club flys out of his hands goes 20 feet in the air over a fence, into a farmers field.
He never did find that club.

In the Bag

FT-3 10* Draw
Big Bertha 04 3 wood 15*
Heavenwood Hybrid 2H 17* Big Bertha 06 irons 3-SW White Hot XG #1 Putter Fusion Tour Staff Bag Hx Tour BallI'm a bit of a junky

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone. I've been reading the sight for a few days now and had to chime in on this one. About nine years ago when I was a freshman in high school my cousin, friend, and I went to the local range. My cousin and I had been playing golf for a while but my friend had just started. The first club I gave him was a Killer Whale driver my dad had won the week before in a closest to the pin contest. He proceeded to sling the head off of it after two tries with a swing the range employee described as resembling "a monkey having a seizure". After this he decided to take a break and sit back and watch. The same range employee noticed my Big Bertha Warbird and offered me $75 for it. I told him I just bought it from them for $499 a few weeks prior. When I turned around to hit my ball he took it out of my bag and decided to have a practice swing, it just so happened my friend was walking by and the backswing caught him in his two front teeth knocking out a nice triangle shape and sending blood everywhere. After this we decided to head home. While waiting on my aunt to pick us up someone sliced a ball from the par 3 course and hit a guys truck, we had to fill out witness reports and say we would go to court if needed. To top it all off on the way home my aunt hit a very large dog with her Tahoe. Not so funny then, but always a funny story to tell.

i was playing in the final of a big open tournament when i was 15, me and my opponent had both hut the fairway on the long par 5. the guy i was playing laid up, and as i was 2 down i decided to go at it with the 3 wood. i hut one of the biggest hooks ever....i knew the match was over while watching the ball in the air heading towards the bushes....the ball bounced off a rubbish bucket next to the 17th tee and bounced about 30 yards onto the green about 6 feet away from the cup, holed it for an eagle and to win the hole.

lost the match on the next hole tho!

Note: This thread is 6224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!