IGNORED

US Open 2012 : Travel / golf and general advice needed

Malvern
Note: This thread is 4306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All,

Will be going over for a boys trip (from Australia) a week either side of the 2012 US Open in June.

We have never been to San Francicso so if anyone has tips on where to stay, eat etc send them through. Will likely try and rent a house if that is possible.

Happy to travel to play golf in the week before, 100 mile radius is OK assuming the traffic is not as horrendous as Sydney (this place is gridlocked). On the costing front our dollar is good so up to US$200 per game is palatable. Really want to play Pasatiempo and Mare Island but probably not go as far as Monterey.

We will also be driving up to Bandon Dunes after the Open, any advice on a golf / place to stop on the way would be good as well as tips when we get there.

Thanks in advance for any help and look out on the roads next June. With you people driving on the wrong side, we are dangerous

Cheers

I think you have the right idea with Pasatiempo.  In SF Harding Park is the public course most people tend to say is the best in the SF area, it's owned by the city but for out of towners they jack the rate up to $170 on the weekends.  The course recently was renovated and hosted a World Golf Championship event in 2008, presidents cup in 2009 and then the seniors version of the FedEx cup championship this year and last year.  All that being said I'd skip out on Harding Park and would really suggest going down to Monterey for Pebble or Spyglass, unless you've already played them. It's only 120 miles or so from SF and Pasatiempo gets you half way there.  If the price is a concern play Spyglass at twilight (you won't be able to make the reservation in advance and there isn't anything about it on their website but it is less than $150).

As far as the drive up just drive straight from SF to Bandon...not really worth stopping in between.

If you are playing Pasatiempo you could play Sharp Park (maybe at twilight after watching some of the Open early in the week) and get a Mackenzie combo.  Sharp Park isn't in the same league as the other suggestions as it's not what it was when Mackenzie laid it out but you'll pay much less and I still enjoy my rounds there.

as an fyi... most public courses will have significantly higher rates than normal the week of and before the open.   you are best off trying to play the week after.

A bit south of SF, buy Bayonet is also worth a play;  will be in great shape since it is hosting PGA CPC next year.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Also check out Half Moon Bay which is a little south of San Fransisco. http://hmbgolflinks.com/ sign up for their email specials a couple of weeks before your trip as they have some good deals if your plans are flexible.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Not from SF, but enjoyed playing The Presidio, Bodega Bay and Poppy Ridge (not Poppy Hills, associated with Pebble Beach). Bodega Bay, the area, was the location for Alfred Hitchcocks, "The Birds". Green fees should be around $100USD.

Driving on the wrong side isn't too bad. It didn't take me long to get used to other side of the road, stick shift, diesel and no gps. Of course I stalled a couple times but I've never gotten into one fender bender.

I've always found it more enjoyable to take the road closer to the ocean than the faster super highway. It's slower, yeah, but more scenic and might be some interesting stops on the way.

San Francisco has amazing food. Daresay I better than NYC, where I live. Where do I start? You can try Yelp.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks all, the suggested courses look fantastic on the respective web sites, am sure I can come up with a "awesome" tour. Have had a look at the previous Bandon threads, might be an idea to book early and head up there prior to the Open.

• 10 months later...

Massive bump, anyway, we are done on our trip (Go Anthony Summers, Aussie qualifier). Staying somewhere around North Beach in San Fran, we are keen to go to the baseball. To suggest we are clueless would overstate our knowledge. Seems there is an Astros game on Thursday 13th, do we pay for good seats ( 3 of us) or just roll up and take our chances? Objective is to have a few beers and enjoy ourselves.

Buy in advance is probably best. A Wed night game against the Astros is not a big draw but it'd be a shame if you missed out!

Enjoy your trip!!!

I wouldn't be to pushed on playing mare island,Its got only one par five and most holes you don't need driver off.Its a cheap round though and hard to find it once you leave San Fran.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Places like stubhub or other ticket exchange places are the best way to get good seats. If you buy day off you will get the bleachers, nose bleed (meaning WAY up there) or standing room depending on the popularity of the game.

Michael

I second the stubhub.com recommendation. That's what we used on our SF trip and it worked out great.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

So I will be attending my first ever PGA Tour event next week at the Olympic club. Super stoked!

However, I read online, and on a paper that came in the mail with my tickets, that they seem to be super strict on the no cell phones, no cameras policy.

How well do they enforce this? I've read online that there's no problems bringing in phones/camera/etc. but those were other courses. Not sure if they differ.

I was hoping at the very least to be able to bring my phone, but I'd love to bring my DSLR camera as well (not a huge lens).

Thanks to any tips or feedback I get for attending events. Happy golfing!!

I've attended several PGA tour events including the 2010 US Open at Pebble Beach. Cameras are only allowed on practice days - Monday - Wednesday. Once the tournament starts no cameras are allowed. The cell phone policy has changed in recent years. It used to be no cell phones were allowed on tournament days. Now it seems that the policy is open and it is up to each event to decide how they want to handle it. SO.. if the sheet you got with your tickets says no cell phones then they really mean no cell phones. At the 2010 open you had to take everything out of your pockets and place it in a tray like at the airport. Anything on the contraband list you had to check.

~ Walter Hagen

If you're a meat eater, you've got to go to the House of Prime Rib.  Get a reservation.  Historic joint; great food.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Just had a look and the House of Prime Rib is about a goodish forum drive (400 yards) from where we are staying, will get a visit. Cheers. Thanks for the stub hub tip as well, we are going to go on Thursday night. Oh well enough for now, gotta get ready for Riviera today, life's tough.

Originally Posted by iMikeyy

So I will be attending my first ever PGA Tour event next week at the Olympic club. Super stoked!

However, I read online, and on a paper that came in the mail with my tickets, that they seem to be super strict on the no cell phones, no cameras policy.

How well do they enforce this? I've read online that there's no problems bringing in phones/camera/etc. but those were other courses. Not sure if they differ.

I was hoping at the very least to be able to bring my phone, but I'd love to bring my DSLR camera as well (not a huge lens).

Thanks to any tips or feedback I get for attending events. Happy golfing!!

This is a USGA event, and they are STRICT!!

Practice days are one thing, but the days of competition are very different. It'll be just like an airport but without the shoes coming off. NO cell phone, no camera, no kidding, no tolerance.

Tip for viewing out on the course. If you are going to park yourself for a while, look at where the TV cameras are and get as close as you can. They pick the best spot/angle!

If you get there REAL early the stands behind the 1st tee are a great place to spend some time.

On Sunday, when it ends, be very patient, it'll take you a long time to get out of there, back to your car, and home . . . a real long time!

Bring lots of cash and plenty of patience. Food lines can be long and the merchandise tent is unbelievable. Have a relaxed and positive attitude, there will be trying moments, but it's an awesome experience. ENJOY!!!!

If you by chance were at the San Francisco game tonight I hate you. To see a perfect game in person is a once in a life time event. Hope you are enjoying your time in the states.

We missed the game, didn't really understand when people at the bar were getting so excited at 10-0. Best that someone else had our seats. Love travelling in the States (California only thistime), everything works, easy to get around (apart from SF this afternoon), weather has been great, people are always pleasant, I could easily live here.

Note: This thread is 4306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!