IGNORED

The Golf Channel Amateur Tour

Want2PlayMore
Note: This thread is 3331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by umuddafadda

we had a 4some infront of us at our club....they were "AM-TOUR" folks.

our round took 5hrs 45 min!

I wish I were lying......:(

THAT, in and of itself, shows me I don't want to even consider this!

clearly they weren't playing in a tournament at that time since, tournaments are regulated and on a clock (otherwise stroke penalties are assessed) did you ever ask to play through? were there ppl infront of them?...jus sayin.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone in the area/local tour has signed up, i'll be playing in the Bensalem Open on March 24th...(Philadelphia Tour) Anyone else sign up for a tourney? if so, where are you playing?

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• 5 months later...

I'm also curious about this tour. How do they control sandbagging? Do they put a limit on the differential?

My home course hosted an Amtour tourney once while I was playing, and they were all around me. I didn't notice any shots that made my jaw drop - everyone seemed pretty average but competitive.

dak4n6

I have a little secondhand knowledge here because my brother joined the tour this year.  As well as from a lot of reading up on their website because I plan on joining in the fall.

As far as sandbagging, they control it by giving you a HDCP based solely on your scores in their tournaments.  I guess people could sandbag in their first tourney, but they will also re-flight you as you go based on tourney scores.  And, remember, the tournaments are all gross score.  The HDCP is only so they can flight you, but after that, you add em all up.

My brothers has enjoyed it so far.  The play is pretty slow - he is in the lowest division (Snead) and they have teed off last in all the tourneys he's played - even though they try and keep everybody on a time limit.  He played in one major (Bayonet/Blackhorse in May) and they were a lot more strict with keeping pace there.  They handed out slow play penalties to a few groups and thus were able to keep the pace up.

And as far as the competition, they have 6 different flights (0-4 HDCP, 4-8, 8-12, 12-16, 16-20 and 20+), so there are decent golfers and crappy golfers.  I will say, though, that if your HDCP is 25 or higher, you might have a rough go of it, because the 20+ Snead division is as high as they go.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

Perhaps we can get a moderator to move this to tour talk? Not sure if I put this in the right forum....

Ha.  I think we're fine ... I always assumed "Tour talk" implied the pros.

This actually sounds like something I would do if I had the time and money to travel around the state a bit.  Might consider it once I settle down somewhere though.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I joined the AmTour in April, played my first tourney in June. I love it, it is competative and they do a really good job of keeping the sandbaggers out. You tell them about where you think you should be, in the way of a handicap. After 4 tourneys they give you a handicap based on your scores. They re-evaluate on the 2nd of every month. Keep in mind once a player is promoted up they cannot sandbag and get moved back down. So that keeps the players honest, then you only have to worry about them actually cheating during the tourney, example: Improving a lie in the rough when no one is looking and stuff like that.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting the push from my buddy to try this out, sign up in the fall and play the next season. I am really wanting to play in competitions but was wary of something with a $199 entry fee and still have to pay to play each event. So many years of just hacking with buddies I guess haha.

I'm glad this was brought up. I've devoted this year to getting my game in order. Next year I plan to join it, by that time I will have been able to look at which tournaments I want to play in and how much it will cost for practice round, travel, and entry fees.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Originally Posted by Jeffrey71

I'm glad this was brought up. I've devoted this year to getting my game in order. Next year I plan to join it, by that time I will have been able to look at which tournaments I want to play in and how much it will cost for practice round, travel, and entry fees.

That's what I've been looking at part of the afternoon lol. The practice round is something a lot of guys wouldn't think about budgeting in. Just one round at a course will probably save me 4-6 strokes. I try to map out new courses on google earth so I have some sense of yardages and trouble spots at least; it's done wonders for me knowing course layouts that I've never actually played.

• 5 months later...
Im going to raise this thread from the dead! Im thinking about joining the am tour. I read all the post looks like most everyone enjoys it. Big reason I want to is there are a few tournaments around me including a major ( Missouri valley championship at Branson creek and murder rock) which are in my back yard. As a high schooler I worked at Branson creek. Looks like slot of fun im a very competitive and hate to lose and love a challenge. Anyone else thinking of joining?
  • Upvote 1

I plan on workin getting my handicap under 10 and joining in 2014. I can't see myself being too proud of accepting a trophy with an average round score of 93. Looks like a lot of fun though........plus you get a bunch of ugly golf channel merchandise!

I plan on workin getting my handicap under 10 and joining in 2014. I can't see myself being too proud of accepting a trophy with an average round score of 93. Looks like a lot of fun though........plus you get a bunch of ugly golf channel merchandise!

Man I was looking forward to the merchandise! Lol

I've looked at this before. I haven't played tournament golf in a long time. I would like to do my course tourneys this year and try this in 2014. Would like to get to a 4-5 hcp first.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

Originally Posted by Tom Shanks

I plan on workin getting my handicap under 10 and joining in 2014. I can't see myself being too proud of accepting a trophy with an average round score of 93.

Looks like a lot of fun though........plus you get a bunch of ugly golf channel merchandise!

Originally Posted by MJK3122

I've looked at this before. I haven't played tournament golf in a long time. I would like to do my course tourneys this year and try this in 2014. Would like to get to a 4-5 hcp first.

That's the beauty of them having so many flights .. it doesn't matter what you current handicap is, you can be competitive.  Well, as long as it's not much over 20.

I just started this last fall here in the Los Angeles area and I really enjoy it so far.  I've played two tournaments (finished 5th once, and near the bottom [of 20] the other) and both have been great experiences.  I've met, so far, nothing but good guys, and the competition is great.  (I had never competed in golf before)

Note: This thread is 3331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!