IGNORED

Most Likely First Time Major Winners in 2007

muskegman
Note: This thread is 6220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This week's Trap Five will go live on Friday. I'll be writing about the "Most Likely First Time Major Winners in 2007." What players would you choose and why? Here's five possibilities:
  1. Henrik Stenson is at the top of my list for good reason. Stenson is a great player and has proved that he can perform under pressure during the last couple of years. He's got a beautiful swing and is my top pick.
  2. Trevor Immelman is an outstanding player with a good track record. He's got good length and has been under pressure enough to know what he has to do to perform in the clutch.
  3. Luke Donald is major championship hungry and has been for a while. I think he can play smart enough to get it done without overwhelming length.
  4. Adam Scott needs a major in his twenties. I'm not as sure of Scott than some others. He doesn't come across as having as much hunger.
  5. Carl Pettersson's play has impressed me for a while now. I could see him snagging an unlikely major this year. Him and his 6' putter play well together. Plus it's a good weapon in a fight.

Padraig Harrington is a good player, he impresses me, but I don't think he'll grab a major anytime soon.

The glaring lack of first time major winners has to be from the Americans. There aren't any really impressive up-and-comers on this side of the pond. I don't see Chad Campbell, Lucas Glover, or Joe Durant getting-er-done in 2007.

Agree? Disagree? Anyone you'd add?

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The glaring lack of first time major winners has to be from the Americans. There aren't any really impressive up-and-comers on this side of the pond.

I would say Charles Howell III is ready to be a major contender this year, and he is American.

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

I would say Charles Howell III is ready to be a major contender this year, and he is American.

I agree, Charles is playing very well and has a good shot at taking a major this year. Also I believe that Adam Scott can do it also but I think the same thing that he seems to not want it that bad.

Bag:  ping.gif Voyage Orange/Black/White
Driver:  ping.gif G10 w/ Aldila Proto X-stiff
3 Wood: titleist.gif  975f
Irons:  ping.gif i10 w/ AWT X-stiff
Wedges: titleist.gifVokey Spin Milled 56* & 60*Putter: ping.gif Zing I-SeriesBall: titleist.gif ProV1x

I think that Robert Allenby is going to be a good go at winning the Masters or British Open this year. He hits it miles, absolute miles and he can putt. He seems to play his best when he is annoyed/angry, he's playing very well at the moment and if he has a few more close finishes where he just misses out I think that'll be enough to fire him up for a win.

If he can get a week on a LONG course with a bit of room and quick greens then he's a chance. Sounds like the Masters or British Open would fit the bill nicely.

And one more thing, it'll help his chances greatly if they keep the pins away from the front right.

Hey, you're the only other person that seems to think Paul Casey is a Major contender too! I actually think he's a good bet for the Masters. He finished 5th a couple of years back too I think, so he's obvioualy comfortable round there (as much as you can be). He's got a great game!
Equipment

Driver: Titleist 983E (Grafalloy Prolite 35)
3 Wood: Taylor Made Burner Bubble (Royal Precision steel rifle)
Irons: Callaway x14 (Royal Precision steel rifle) Putter: Ping Zing 5Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I am going to go with Adam Scott. He won the 5th major and I think he has the game to take care of business in a major. I agree with Charles Howell 3 as well. He hits it so long and it seems like he has his head on right this year.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

You've all brought up some great players who I think can all very likely take home a major this year, Paul Casey, Robert Allenby or Charles Howell III certainly have the game to do it.

My vote for the next first time major winner is Chad Campbell. The kid has game and I think it's just a matter of time before he gets it together and wins, his best chance to me is the Masters.

I don't mind Adam Scott's chances either, but Adam seems to lack that killer instinct when a title is in his reach, he seems to be shaky down the stretch of even regular TOUR events. He almost let his TPC title slip away with a inexplicably horrible shot into the water on 18, then made a great putt for bogey.

Luke Donald will win a major in the next 2 to 3 years tops. He might be the kind of player that wins 1 then follows up immediately with another 1 or 2 right away
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I say Charles Howell III as well.

In the Bag

FT-3 10* Draw
Big Bertha 04 3 wood 15*
Heavenwood Hybrid 2H 17* Big Bertha 06 irons 3-SW White Hot XG #1 Putter Fusion Tour Staff Bag Hx Tour BallI'm a bit of a junky

I like all of the picks in here so far but my pick would be Adam Scott. Howell is playing great but he hasn't really been in contention (to my knowledge) in a major before. I do see him being in the mix in all 4 though. I'll pick someone who has at least contended. Scott's motivation has been questioned but I think that's just the way he is. People want him to run around yelling and pumping his fist like Tiger and that's just not him. Stenson would be my second pick. Something about winning the match play event... ala, Ogilvy last year. How about Chris DiMarco? I know he's not playing that great but he seems to show up at the majors. If not for Tiger he'd have two majors on his resume in the past 3 years. Immelman and Casey I can see contending. Not sure about Allenby. I think he's finished top 10 in all events so far this year (that he has entered) but he's kinda crumbled when he's had a chance to win in tournaments with less than stellar fields.

Of course none of this matters if Tiger plays the way he did at the end of last year.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Wow, tough question. "First-time" could be probably 20 names.

Top of the "probability" pecking order for me would have to be one of the several European Tour guys that you've already mentioned. They're playing such solid golf, and they're so hungry. Is it just me, or have any of y'all noticed how many times it's a ET guy giving Tiger a run? But, sorry, not Sergio. Don't think it's gonna happen any time soon.

As far as an American, I like Adam Scott. I think he does want it bad enough, and his game continues to improve. Luke, mmm, dunno. Could be. ChasIII is coming along nicely, too. Finally. Lots of potential, still.

Looks like I'm really going to have to keep the stocks of chips & salsa built up this season!!

Keep the couch warmed up!

I have to agree... I don't see Sergio winning one this year. His ball striking will put him into contention of a couple of majors but until he starts to putt better I can't see him winning one.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I'm way to lazy to do the research, but it would be interesting to know how frequently someone completely off the radar won a major. Some examples: Ed Furgol, Lee Trevino, Orville Moody, John Daly & Ben Curtis. And I would guess Andy North since he won only three PGA Tour events, two of them being U.S. Opens.

Along that line of thought, I'm going with Mark Wilson .

i would have to go with luke donald, he has a great all round game to do well at the majors. finished well at a few majors so far and can see him winning one this year.

as for sergio garcia and adam scott, they have been tipped for winning majors at nearly every major by many people but they never seem to do anything. its only a matter of time!

My picks are either Adam Scott or CHIII. Though, we haven't seen Scotty in too many events this year -- he definitely has the complete skill set to compete in and win majors. I think the only thing holding him back from winning a major is the of lack mental toughness. A psych coach might help him with that, I've read that he doesn't have a pre-shot routine? Maybe that leads to weird lapses in his game during pressure situations? And he does seem to get down on himself at times. His recent vacation prior to the Nissan definitely slowed what he had going in Hawaii. But I hope to see a different Scott in Doral. After all, the course suits his game very well. Charles Howell has shown a huge transformation from previous years. His playoff victory against Phil in LA and almost getting a piece of Tiger here in SD. He is showing us that he certainly has the game to win a major this year. He is the next American player I'll be rooting for to step up and win a major.

907D2 9.5 Proforce V2 75 S
906F2 15* Proforce V2 95 S
MD 19* Proforce V2 100 S
735 CM 3-PW DG s400 Vokey 200 53.11*/SM 58.08* DG s300 Scotty C. Studio Design 3.5Balls -

Note: This thread is 6220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!