IGNORED

Temper Tantrums

iacas
Note: This thread is 3836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I threw a club once or twice, then I realized I didn't like walking after them. I've slammed a club into the ground before (easier to do with blades than cavity backs - not wise in firm ground conditions).

Nowadays, the worst I do is hit my tee back into the ground or something like that.

I've witnessed some doozies, though! But nothing that'd top anyone's list. I'm wondering, though: do y'all have temper tantrums or do you keep it pretty much on the even keel?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Closest i get is to "losing it" on the course is to call MYSELF every name under the sun - i hopefully never blame anyone/anything else.

I threw too many,bust too many and slammed too many clubs as a junior not to have learned from it........

I do know plenty of people who do like the odd "helicopter" impression with a 5 iron though

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

Man do I play in a group that would make this thread go on forever.

One guy throws his club and then yells "break" when it hits the ground. One time he took a swing and hit his bag. He shattered his YS6 shaft on his 983K.

Other guy likes to smash the tee markers. Usually his driver loses that battle and I've watched him knock the head of a $400 driver several times.

The best story: The 3rd guy I play with is scratch. He is VERY hard to please on the course. We're on this par5 in 2. He 3 putts for par. He hucks his putter toward the carts and turns around. He didn't get to see his putter fly over the carts and into a river.

We walked over and he just realized his putter was gonzo. He looked at me and I just said "ever putt with your 3 iron?"

So he putts with his 3 wood the rest of the round and beats us all.

The worst thing I have ever done is dropped a club after a shot that wasn't what I wanted.
IN MY BAG

Irons Big Bertha Fusion Irons 3-PW, SW, LW (Nippon 990 UNFX)
Driver Big Bertha Fusion FT-3 (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)
3 Wood ERC Fusion 3w - RGS (RCH Sys 55R)4/5 Wood Big Bertha Fusion 15D Fairway Wood (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)Bag 10.5" orange fusion tour bagPutter Scotty Cameron Newport...

I don't throw a tantrum but mutter under my breath a lot. Its easy for me to let a dark cloud descend on my round.

Having said that, I'm getting better at shrugging off bad shots these days cause I figure that getting mad isn't worth the effort. Plus I can go from "I suck" to "I suck beyond understanding" pretty fast when I get mad.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I fall into the self-berating category. The worst I do is call myself moron and idiot.........two stories about others.........1) Years ago playing with my older brother and he heaves a club after one of his billion bad shots. It helicopters right at my head and I have to duck to keep from getting beheaded. That leads to some cursing and a few punches being thrown....... 2) About 7 years ago playing with some buddies and one hits a bad teeshot and kicks the tee marker. Its a metal tee marker shaped like a big golf ball. It flies about 15 feet and hits me square on the ankle bone. (No meat to cusion the blow on the ankle bone) It took about 3 holes to walk it off, but he felt so terrible that he played worse than his normal 95.
In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

Oh boy.. I've done it all. Knocked head off a 3W on a tee marker, broke shafts when club "slipped" out of my hand multiple times, left a few divits in the fairways... The worse one was, durring a horrible round, I mishit 4 swing in a row with 5W (yea, after 3 swings I still needed 5W to get to the green!) I tried to throw it into a lake, took a huge swing... and missed the lake, club landed on the other side in the woods. Talking about being embarrased...

After a long walk with a lot of scratches on my body I retrieved the club and haven't thrown anything since.
The Worst reaction right now is simply let the club drop after the follow-through.

It's been over a year and since I've many more friends who want to play with me

• 2 weeks later...
Great thread! New guy here and just the other day I went out and bought a new pull cart due to a tantrum, I just started playing again. Right before I quit I had a tantrum on my pull cart. I had just hit a straight 255 yard drive to 20 yards infront of the green on a par 4, hit my pitch fat and sent it a whopping 2 yards. I promptly turn and take the right wheel off my cart with my PW.

I am not good enough to get angry...otherwise I would be miserable the whole day....hence the name
If I shoot in the high 80s...all is right in my little world

The equipment is there...I'm not!
Driver- Callaway X460 HT
3Wood- Callaway X460 15*
Hybrids- Nike CPR 18*
Adams Idea 21*Adams Idea 25*Nike CPR 30*Irons 7-SW- Adama IdeaLob Wedge- Cleveland 588 ChromePutter- Nike T100 Oz Blue ChipBall- Best deal I can find on a reputable soft ball

I am not good enough to get angry...otherwise I would be miserable the whole day....hence the name

I guess it would be allright with me too, if I'd shot 89 with 42 hcp index

I'd hope there was a lot of money on the line too ! Did you miss a decimal point in your index listing ?

I guess it would be allright with me too, if I'd shot 89 with 42 hcp index

Nope...no decimal ponit. It is a guesstimation. I am playing today...so I am actually going to start faithfully keeping track so I can really get an honest number for a handicap.

I guess from website I found...I just need six rounds to get a number.
Driver- Callaway X460 HT
3Wood- Callaway X460 15*
Hybrids- Nike CPR 18*
Adams Idea 21*Adams Idea 25*Nike CPR 30*Irons 7-SW- Adama IdeaLob Wedge- Cleveland 588 ChromePutter- Nike T100 Oz Blue ChipBall- Best deal I can find on a reputable soft ball

Nope...no decimal ponit. It is a guesstimation. I am playing today...so I am actually going to start faithfully keeping track so I can really get an honest number for a handicap.

with 42 index I guess you'd have to shoot in 120's... that's why I made the comment about the 80's round. Good luck in your round - make sure to post it under "What did you shoot today"

with 42 index I guess you'd have to shoot in 120's... that's why I made the comment about the 80's round. Good luck in your round - make sure to post it under "What did you shoot today"

Oh...wow ...then I am totally wrong! I am not as bad as I thought! I shoot low to mid 90s. Cool!

Driver- Callaway X460 HT
3Wood- Callaway X460 15*
Hybrids- Nike CPR 18*

• 8 years later...
In high school a guy in our group picked up his ball instead of tapping it in. On the next tee box, we told we would let him putt it in with a 2 stroke penalty or he will be DQ'd if he tees off. He gets pissed and the rest of the round after every hole out he says, "Did you see that. Was it legal. Are you sure it went in?" Good times.

I have cursed myself a few times and called myself an idiot but no real club throwing.  My brother, however, is a different story.

I've seen him chuck his driver about 25 yards after knocking one in the woods.  And I've seen him throw his putter into the woods and not even bother to retrieve it, lol.

Jeff

I've never thrown a club. Other than an occasional "damn" the only thing other people might notice is that I'm not likely to talk much (if any) when I'm mad.

I do try to take it out on the golf ball on the next tee shot fairly often.

I made the mistake of taking a guy from a really nice country club to a crappy course I used to play and he threw clubs all over the golf course as he shot his 103. Said he shot in the 70s on his course.

Bit of a long story, but worth it non the less!

About 5 years ago was playing a short local course with my dad, his best mate and his best mates son. I was 15 at the time and playing to a 7 or so, and this best mate decides to challenge me to a game; the looser has to run naked from the house we're renting down to the water (about 500m away).

We tee off, and I'm about 4 shots down with 3 to play. We get to the 7th, a short par three which I par, and he manages to go bunker to bunker; eventually getting down and putting me 2 shots up.

We get to the last, which is a long (450m) par 4, which a giant tree in the centre of the fairway 300m down. I tee off, and straight away hook it OB off the tee. He steps up and says "i'll show you how to do it" and he snaps it OB too.

We tee off again, and i've got 180m in, and he's centre fairway a bit further up. I put my 4 iron up close to the green and he has to try play a huge hook around this giant tree. Well, lets just say he connected with it purely, straight into the tree! The ball lobs up and lands literally 2 metres behind him and he starts thrashing his club against his bag. Hits it again; OB left then hacks one up there.

Walking past the tree, he pulls out his 7 iron and continues to beat this tree until the head falls of the shaft!

I eventually win, he tosses his clubs everywhere, and then streaks down to the water where this very "queer" acting guy was waiting.

Probably the highlight of all my golfing matches

I went as far as throwing a club 3 yards up in the air.   I play with my wife mostly and she does a mean job in keeping my tantrum to minimum.   But I still mutter, curse, or stop talking all together.  I am learning to hide my tears and chuckle my way to a finish.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!