IGNORED

please help me stretch away back pain

Lebowski
Note: This thread is 4598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been suffering from a sore lower/mid back for a while now and it is starting to affect my golf game for the worse. I've started to hook the ball more and more since i've been dealing with this back pain and I think this is because my posture has changed when setting up to the ball. I've notice that I have been setting up farther away from the ball and getting a more hunched over back. When I corrected my posture and got closer to the ball, it instantly felt familiar and I hit the ball 10x better. The problem is when swinging with a more upright spine angle, the pain in my back is much more intense. (i know, i thought it'd hurt more while more hunched over) The pain intensifies on the downswing and is triggered by my bodyweight moving to the left and the hips clearing. I've always heard that stretching your hamstrings will help a sore back, so i've been doing that religiously for a few weeks now. I'm looking for any stretches or warmup movements that will help me ease this awful pain. Thank you in advance for any advice/knowledge given!

i know this may recieve a few odd looks but, i'd highly suggest some introductory yoga. it's not only a good workout but coming from someone who's had back pain since a car accident over 8 years ago...it's awesome. i started it when i began P90X a month ago and i have to say that my back has never felt better, even before my accident. just food for thought...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I have been simpy walking an hour a day for the last 3 -4 weeks and it has been wonderful for my lower back.

Start easy and listen to your body but walking is low impact especially if you choose the right surface to walk on.  I walk on a dirt track but other tracks have the softer rubber or even walking on sand at the beach.

walking has helped my on the last few hole of the round and I am starting to carry 14 clubs in my bag instead of 13.

I also use my Samsung with a trainer app to keep track of my daily walking.  what I enjoy the most of walking is that it is easy not very difficult and I enjoy the results.

slow walks and your legs will get stronger so that you can after a week or so do a power walk.  try it I am sure you will enjoy the benefit to your lower back.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Originally Posted by ks8829

I have been simpy walking an hour a day for the last 3 -4 weeks and it has been wonderful for my lower back.

Start easy and listen to your body but walking is low impact especially if you choose the right surface to walk on.  I walk on a dirt track but other tracks have the softer rubber or even walking on sand at the beach.

walking has helped my on the last few hole of the round and I am starting to carry 14 clubs in my bag instead of 13.

I also use my Samsung with a trainer app to keep track of my daily walking.  what I enjoy the most of walking is that it is easy not very difficult and I enjoy the results.

slow walks and your legs will get stronger so that you can after a week or so do a power walk.  try it I am sure you will enjoy the benefit to your lower back.

I am going to start doing this every evening for the rest of summer and see if it will help my back.

Mine is so ****ed it it is radiating down into my butt cheeks/thighs/knees.

I will maybe look at Yoga too - see how it goes

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

thank you for all the replies thus far, i will absolutely be looking into some simple yoga movements to add to my daily stretching routine. I do walk every round of golf I play and I usually play 2-3 rounds of 18 holes per week, but i do this while carrying my bag which is most likely contributing to my back problems. I think I will be purchasing a push cart soon to try and take some more stress off the back. I played a round yesterday and was wondering during my round, what are the best couple of stretches to perform mid round to combat a sore back? All i could come up with really was 2 or 3 simple hamstring stretches that everyone already knows from their p.e. classes at school. Does anyone have any stretches or dynamic movements that really help them control their back pain when it flares up?

One of the members above mentioned introductory yoga and I couldnt agree more. I did P90X and the Yoga really helped my flexibility. But in the meantime just simple hamstring streches during a round can work wonders.

Hope it helps!

If you have worsening back pain for more than two weeks, I'd recommend that you see an MD. If you have a primary care physician (family practice or internal medicine), give him/her a call. If you don't have a primary care physician, I'd recommend you see a board certified PM&R; physician.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I had the same problem for 6 years,and just dealt with it I tried and eventually and gave up golf. Last year i went to a chiropractor and within 2 sessions my back problem was sorted out. Now back playing golf and lots of other things I'd given up.

RBZ Driver  

RBZ 3 Wood

RBZ Hybrids 3 & 6 

Cobra S3 Max 5-P (really want a set of R11's!)

Cleveland CG15's 50 & 58

Bang O Maric 60 degree wedge

Odessy 2 ball Putter XG  

Golf OCD Online Magazine

I just recently started working more often and started focusing on my mid and lower back. It has helped a ton. I occasionally get a deep tissue head, neck and back massage. Had zero pain this past weekend when i played.

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing for your back...lie flat on back, pull knee up to chest and hold. Do one leg at a time then both at the same time.

repeat.

if your in shape lie flat on your back lift your leg off the ground until its 90 degrees from ground let the weight of the leg stretch you to the opposite side (e.g. Right leg drop to left side)

this will stretch you out well.... Also allot of back pain is from shortened hamstrings... stretch your hammies.

Mine started really bothering me a few weeks ago when I started playing a lot more. Since I have really focused on hitting my back when I work out and it has worked wonders.

Of course I do some REAL good stretching of that area before and after working out which really helps.

For instance I used to do 2-3 exercises focusing my back where as now I do 5-6. Not to mention it has really helped my strength and play in general.

I have also considered doing some yoga. I have only done it once before and enjoyed it.

Lay on your back

Like one said, bring your knee to your chest

you can also, cross your leg over your knee and bring the knee towards you, this stretches the glut

Another is bring your knees so there perpendicular to you, like if you would be sitting in a chair, then lower your knees to the right, hold for 30 seconds. Rotate them to the other side and hold.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for posting in this thread and I tried every suggestion except for going to a yoga class (the closest class was still pretty far away)....... and the one suggestion that did the trick?

Originally Posted by uttexas

If you have worsening back pain for more than two weeks, I'd recommend that you see an MD. If you have a primary care physician (family practice or internal medicine), give him/her a call.

If you don't have a primary care physician, I'd recommend you see a board certified PM&R; physician.

I have scoliosis

I agree. yoga will strech out your glutes and ham strings as well as increase strength in your lower core.

plus there are usually good looking women in yoga classes...

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

i know this may recieve a few odd looks but, i'd highly suggest some introductory yoga. it's not only a good workout but coming from someone who's had back pain since a car accident over 8 years ago...it's awesome. i started it when i began P90X a month ago and i have to say that my back has never felt better, even before my accident. just food for thought...

Originally Posted by uttexas

If you have worsening back pain for more than two weeks, I'd recommend that you see an MD. If you have a primary care physician (family practice or internal medicine), give him/her a call.

If you don't have a primary care physician, I'd recommend you see a board certified PM&R; physician.

I'd echo this. If you don't know for certain what's causing it, I'd get it looked at by someone who knows what they're talking about before trying anything suggested here.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf is a sport that is hard on the lower back.  Look at all the pro golfers who suffer from chronic back problems after a life spent playing.  That's isn't to say that if you play golf you're doomed to have back problems, but it's common.  Consider the swing.  Power is generated between the hips and the shoulders, particularly by torque created when the hips turn toward the target as the shoulders first lag behind and then are pulled down into the ball.  The focal point for that torque is the lower back where the spine is attatched to the hips.  You see a lot of older golfers who lose that flexibility are unable to maintain proper spinal inclination to the ground throughout their swing.  As a result they lose significant distance, but I know plenty of older golfers who are able to compensate for this and still generate enough power to hit the ball plenty far.   One guy I know has a very armsy swing and he hits his driver easily 250yds.  What I'd suggest is work with your doctor regarding being cleared to play and then experiment with changing your swing slightly so that you protect your back but still can generate sufficent power.  A knowledgable pro can help with this, but first make sure your doctor approves so that you don't make your situation worse!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Note: This thread is 4598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!