IGNORED

Nike PD Long

Note: This thread is 3841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What happened to this ball?

I used to play the 2009 PD Long and loved them.

On the weekend I found the new PD Longs ( 24 for $30 ) so I grabbed them. Terrible ball.

They literally feel like you are hitting rocks. The cover is scratches so bad it is unbelievable ( changed ball several times due to this ). On my miss hits it rocked my hands so bad it hurt.

Distance is not great, the only good thing is the lack of spin off the tee, but not worth the terrible feel.

Very 'clicky' on chips and putts.

I had one SFT in my bag that I ended up switching to for the last 5 or 6 holes.

Anyone else use them? I may take the other dozen back and try the PD Soft - although they're supposed to be for lower swing speeds.

Back to the SFT for me

Anyone got a ball they could recommend?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

What happened to this ball?

I used to play the 2009 PD Long and loved them.

On the weekend I found the new PD Longs ( 24 for $30 ) so I grabbed them. Terrible ball.

They literally feel like you are hitting rocks. The cover is scratches so bad it is unbelievable ( changed ball several times due to this ). On my miss hits it rocked my hands so bad it hurt.

Distance is not great, the only good thing is the lack of spin off the tee, but not worth the terrible feel.

Very 'clicky' on chips and putts.

I had one SFT in my bag that I ended up switching to for the last 5 or 6 holes.

Anyone else use them? I may take the other dozen back and try the PD Soft - although they're supposed to be for lower swing speeds.

Back to the SFT for me

Anyone got a ball they could recommend?

I'm not sure about the Longs, but with your CI9s I'd steer clear of the Softs. They tend to balloon and distance control is marginal at best. Just my experiences - could be wrong. If you want a ball that's long and straight, and has good feel and distance control, don't be swayed by the Wilson Staff logo. I was - great irons means a great ball, right? Ever played a PING or Mizuno ball lately? Me either.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i had the softs in my bag for about 18 holes... terrible ball.. they just float in the air and drop, i usually hit my drives around 250-270m with my usual ball (prov1), and i swear i probably swung one of my best swings in a while, right off the sweet spot, the nike pd soft dropped right in the air for all of 240 m unimpressed, i have yet to try out the rest of the nike balls though, but currently not impressed haha

wow, i'm really glad i stumbled on this thread.  nike pd softs used to be my ball of choice a year or two ago because they were affordable and felt decent enough to hit.  i had moved into the nike one line (which i really like) but am on a bit of a budget at the moment due to going back to school, so i was quite literally on my way out the door here to get some pd softs.  i guess i'll have to find something else to work with.

I still play the Nike PD Longs. I used to play the PD Soft, but migrated to the PD High and then the PD Long.  Guess I am used to the Longs now.  But...your post has me thinking about trying the PD Soft again as I do often find the Longs do not hold on the hard Houston greens very well.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

I m using PD Soft ... Not bad .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I've played both the Soft and the Long this year, and I really didn't like either of them.  I'm in the process right now of trying to find a ball that feels right for me and I thought the soft would be perfect because I am a long hitter (6-iron goes 170 on the range, about 180 with a new golf ball) and have a ton of roll (so clearly my flight trajectory is shit).  I didn't like either ball.  I played better with the SFT, and am now currently trying a dozen of the Bridgestone Fix which perform much better than either the Soft or the Long.  Then I'm switching to my 2 dozen e5s to see how that goes.

In conclusion  PD Soft: Boo  PD Long: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• 1 month later...

i bought a dozen pd softs last week, despite having read this thread previously.  i thought maybe the OP had just got a bad batch, and the local store had them on sale, so i thought, why not?  here's why not:  they were just as bad as previously described.  after wondering whether i was just not swinging well or if the ball was falling out of the sky, i hit three drives with three balls on the same hole (don't worry, it was the evening, i wasn't holding anyone up):  a titleist prov1, a nike one vapor, and a nike pd soft.  i managed to put pretty similar swings on all three and landed them all in the fairway.  the prov1 and the one vapor were almost identical, with both being about 260 out.  the pd soft was 20 yards shorter.  after reading this thread and seeing it for myself, i'll not be purchasing any more pd softs.

Yeah, theyre pretty terrible.  I find them out on the course every now and then and they always go into my shag bag as practice balls.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I agree.  I had been playing OPBs (other people's balls) for awhile but finally broke down and bought a dozen Nike PD-soft so I would have some new balls for a tournament.   These were a great and fairly unknown value a year or so ago but Nike must have changed the formula as they didn't seem to do anything well anymore.  Changed back to my used Pro V1s after five holes and all was well again.

Originally Posted by mirv

i bought a dozen pd softs last week, despite having read this thread previously.  i thought maybe the OP had just got a bad batch, and the local store had them on sale, so i thought, why not?  here's why not:  they were just as bad as previously described.  after wondering whether i was just not swinging well or if the ball was falling out of the sky, i hit three drives with three balls on the same hole (don't worry, it was the evening, i wasn't holding anyone up):  a titleist prov1, a nike one vapor, and a nike pd soft.  i managed to put pretty similar swings on all three and landed them all in the fairway.  the prov1 and the one vapor were almost identical, with both being about 260 out.  the pd soft was 20 yards shorter.  after reading this thread and seeing it for myself, i'll not be purchasing any more pd softs.

Butch

• 1 year later...

I bought a box of PD Long with an outing certificate. Did not know what I was getting. My index is 20. I hit drives about 200-220. Hit a 6 iron about 150. I was really surprised about the PD Long. Drives better than the OPB I was playing, even Pro V. Chips and putts well, for me. Cost <20.  What is not to like. Cover lasted for a couple of rounds and still looks good. Certainly better then some Maxflis I had that peeled and Slazengers that were dead. I would certainly buy more. I have played three rounds with them and am very happy.

• 11 months later...

I used two dozen of these balls last year.   They go longer and straighter but not by whole lot.   But they shred like crazy and can't hold the greens.   I will only use them if I am playing a long course on a wet day.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!