IGNORED

Mizuno Irons?

Note: This thread is 6174 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am wanting to get some input of Mizuno irons. I have a old set from a buddy...about 10 year old set of MP-33's. They are in rough shape, so I am looking for a new set.

I still struggle to hit the MP-33's consistently...but I am coming around...about a 14-16 handicap.

I have read alot of good things about the MP-60's and the new MP-67's.

So, if you were getting a new set, and you were about to really start working on your golf game...what Mizuno iron set would you purchase?

MP-60. More forgiving than pure blades but plays like one. 'nuff said.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I am wanting to get some input of Mizuno irons. I have a old set from a buddy...about 10 year old set of MP-33's. They are in rough shape, so I am looking for a new set.

If you read more carefully, MP-60 and MP-67 are for single handicap golfer. However, I think you're "almost" good enough to use them. The key word you mentioned was "I still struggle to hit the MP-33's consistently." How inconsistent are you? Do you always hit the ball at the center of the club face "almost" everytime?

Well, I read an article somewhere that says if you're still can't hit the ball at the center of the clubface consistently, then it's better if you don't use the blade or semi-blade irons, because it will only hurt your game. Now you're 14-16 handicap and I'd really hate to see your handicap climbs up only because you're using blade/semi-blade irons. If I were you, I'd get my handicap to go down to around 6-ish, then I'd consider getting the MP-60 and MP-67. Unless you honestly think you are a golfer who can adapt and can work it out later, then go ahead. Otherwise there's MX-25. Hope this helps.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

The MX models are designed for higher handicap players - more forgivness features - some really long too like the MX900's were.

The MP models are aimed at lower handicap players, less forgiving, but still very playable and unmatched feel and workability. MP67 the furthest in this direction.

MP60's are a blend of workability and feel but add forgiving features like perimeter weighting.

MP33's - the ones you have, are awesome! Great feel and really train you to hit the center of the face!

I play MP30's (MP60's have replaced these) but I have an MP33 6 iron to practice with for feedback and centerface strike training.

Bottom line. If you want to score your best, but only practice and play four times a month, get something easier to hit.

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

I have to agree with fusioncal...at 14-16 index stick with the game improvement version. At our indices, I think hitting the ball straight would be our main priority, rather than shaping our shots.

It's not like you can't shape your shots with game improvement clubs (I still can shape a shot if I had to with my R7 CGB's). I figure I need all the help I can get to get the damned ball into that damn hole. When you get to the point where you are a solid 5-6, then consider the player's clubs.

To be honest with you even if I got to that point, I would still stick with my game improvement clubs...no shame to my game.

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

thanks guys...that is what I was leaning towards...the sweetest feeling is hitting the MP-33 on the sweet spot...it is like you dont even feel the ball! but when you mis-hit it, your hands fall off, and your shot balloons to the rough.

thanks guys...that is what I was leaning towards...

Well said and exactly what I was thinking. Not that you need more advice but I agree with what the others have said. Believe me, I'd love to play Cleveland CG1's but they'd look great only until I swung them. Golf is hard enough. Heck, a lot of the tour players are now going with some sort of cavity back. Play a lot and if your handicap gets into the single digits then think about the 60's. Good luck!

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

The MP60's. In fact, if you can hit the MP32's or 67's in the short irons, you couldn't go wrong with a set of 4-6 mp60's and 7-pw mp32's or mp67's?
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

If you read more carefully, MP-60 and MP-67 are for single handicap golfer. However, I think you're "almost" good enough to use them. The key word you mentioned was "I still struggle to hit the MP-33's consistently." How inconsistent are you? Do you always hit the ball at the center of the club face "almost" everytime?

I'm sorry, but I disagree with the lower handicap B.S. I'm a 12 and I hit the MP32 just fine. In fact, I know when I don't. If I were to still be playing one of those huge cavity back "maximum forgiveness" sets of irons, I'd never know if I did hit a bad shot

In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

Just bought a set of MX-25 and couldn't be more pleased. They feel very solid, and I get the buttery feel when I hit it dead center, like the ball was never there.

There is a tendency on the tour, and many players are choosing cavity backs instead of blades. CB forgiveness does serve good players too. So they pick the Titleist 755's over the 695MB's.

I know that Mizuno doesn't have a direct competitor (in their current line anyway) to the 755's, but you might want to give Titleist sticks a try ; they are close to blades, in looks and performance, but are still forgiving.

Hope this helps

In the bag:

Hi Bore XL 10.5 deg
SZ fairway woods, 3 & 5
baffler 23 deg MX-25 4-P vokey 52 & 56 scotty cameron studio design 2Read my golf blog

The MP60's. In fact, if you can hit the MP32's or 67's in the short irons, you couldn't go wrong with a set of 4-6 mp60's and 7-pw mp32's or mp67's?

Out of curiosity, how would you go about putting a set together like that? Buy both sets (either new or on ebay) and then mix and match? Maybe this should be its own thread, but how many of you guys mix clubs from different sets in your irons?

Out of curiosity, how would you go about putting a set together like that? Buy both sets (either new or on ebay) and then mix and match? Maybe this should be its own thread, but how many of you guys mix clubs from different sets in your irons?

You can order a custom 'mixed' set from Mizuno comprised of any combination of models from MX and/or MP series.

Vancouver, BC CANADA

Driver: 905T 9.5 deg
Fairway Woods: 904F 15 & 19 deg.
Hybrid: FLI-HI CLK 21 deg.Irons: MP-60Wedges: Vokey 52/8, SM 56/14 & SM 60/4Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Bag: S64 StaffBall: NXT Tour

You can order a custom 'mixed' set from Mizuno comprised of any combination of models from MX and/or MP series.

Does it cost more than say a full set of MP60s or MP67s? Do other companies do this? I have never heard of this before.

i ended last season around a 10 and the 60s suit me perfectly. i did swap out the 3 and 4 for the MX25's.

but to me, the MP67 and MP60s are in different leagues. i wouldn't dream of trying anything more than an 8 or 9 iron in the 67s...

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

Does it cost more than say a full set of MP60s or MP67s? Do other companies do this? I have never heard of this before.

No, it shouldn't cost you any more i.e. based on a retail to retail comparison and if I'm not mistaken, Titleist, Callaway and the other 'big' names also offer the ability to mix. Other may be able to confirm.

Vancouver, BC CANADA

Driver: 905T 9.5 deg
Fairway Woods: 904F 15 & 19 deg.
Hybrid: FLI-HI CLK 21 deg.Irons: MP-60Wedges: Vokey 52/8, SM 56/14 & SM 60/4Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Bag: S64 StaffBall: NXT Tour

You definately can't go wrong with any model of Mizuno's you look at, but if you have ever thought about titleist, the 735s are a perfect blend of blades and cavity backs. I think mizuno irons are outstanding, but will never give up my 735s. The combo and offsets are wonderful. I would definately take a look at these.

Anything as long as its Mizuno. I just recently started playing mizuno irons myself and they are the best feeling club i've ever put in my hands. In the last year i've owned ping, callaway, maxfli revolutions, clevelands, and none of them feel anything close to my mp-30's. They are also my first forged iron set. They looked a little intimidating to me at first but I quickly have adapted to them. My advice is to get a forged set and teach yourself how to hit them instead of buying some big clunky game improvement irons. Just my 2 cents.

In the bag:
Driver: Taylor Made 09' Burner 9.5*
Woods: Nicklaus 18* Hybrid
Cobra DWS Baffler Hybrid 20*
Irons: Mizuno MX-200 4-Gw Project x 5.5Wedge: Cleveland Black Pearl CG14 54* & 58*Putter: Scotty Cameron TEI 3 Newport 2Balls: Prov1x

Note: This thread is 6174 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!