IGNORED

MG Golf Balls?

One of my friends works at a golf course and he brought to a round a couple of these balls made by MG Golf. I've never seen them before, and they have a really soft cover like premium balls such as Pro V1s and what-not. Has anyone ever used these? They sell two types for $12 and $20 per dozen. And according to them, they perform very similarly to Pro V1s (the $20 balls).

http://www.mggolf.com/balls.asp?ru=0

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I don't think too many people have ever heard of those balls.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wouldn't be surprised. I've done my fair share of golfing this year and have only seen them once, which was also the first time I ever heard of them.

-Rich

MG Golf Tour C-4  are the old Hogan Tour Deep balls. I believe MG Golf took over their production when Hogan went under. I've played them and have found no issue with them....they fly off into the woods and water just as fast as my regular Nike One Tours. :)

• Administrator

Originally Posted by upstategolfer

MG Golf Tour C-4  are the old Hogan Tour Deep balls. I believe MG Golf took over their production when Hogan went under. I've played them and have found no issue with them....they fly off into the woods and water just as fast as my regular Nike One Tours. :)

Callaway purchased Hogan in 2003 or 2005 or so. They didn't "go under."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Correct, in 2003. But Callaway didn't want Hogan, they wanted Top-Flite, so in effect, Hogan was gone as a brand. Six of one, half dozen of another.

Quote:

Callaway purchased Hogan in 2003 or 2005 or so. They didn't "go under."

• Administrator

Correct, in 2003. But Callaway didn't want Hogan, they wanted Top-Flite, so in effect, Hogan was gone as a brand. Six of one, half dozen of another.

You said MG "took over" production when Hogan "went under." If neither of those things are true, it's not six of one, half dozen of another.

Ok...whatever, you're right, I'm wrong. Happy? Good, cause now I'm happy for you too.

Edit to add: I also said "I believe"...which you conveniently left off your quote from my post. And they did take over the Hogan ball because it is the same ball.

Originally Posted by iacas

You said MG "took over" production when Hogan "went under." If neither of those things are true, it's not six of one, half dozen of another.

• Administrator

Edit to add: I also said "I believe"...which you conveniently left off your quote from my post. And they did take over the Hogan ball because it is the same ball.

I didn't leave it out of the quote. It's right there in the quote. And I continue to remain doubtful that MG is violating the copyright, patents, etc. of Callaway by having somehow "taken over the Hogan ball."

Besides, talking about a ball from a decade ago isn't going to convince many people to try this ball out, if that's your goal.

Given the incredible unlikelihood of the first part being true, that's not really on topic, so let's return to the topic now, please.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if you ever tried them, since your original post was 4 months ago, but....

My father started buying these and got some for me.  I am amazed at how well I play with them.  I am not a consistent golfer, some shots are really good...some really not.  However, these seem to make me a bit more consistent.  I have floated between the Pro V1, the NXT Tours, and Callaway Green.  I do better with the MG's.

I have never played the MG's. But if they are the old Hogan... I used to play the Hawk and liked them. They were solid around the greens, and I didn't have any issue with distance. But obviously haven't played them for years since Hogan is no longer selling product.

LOL....I played a found MG once!!

It was a cold nasty winter day and my partners got a laugh out of it.  I never heard of MG before and seeing this thread made me chuckle.  The MG I played must have been the cheap version because it was a cheap ball rock.  When the weather turns cold and bad, I play whatever found ball I grab from my bag, and on that day....I played an MG.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Never played the cheaper MG ball, but have played the $20 one,,not a great ball, not a bad ball.  They tend to market it as a cheap substitute for a Pro V1, and my experience was it somewhat comparable, but clearly the ProV1 is much better.

What I can endorse is their Dyna Grip Elite glove,,high durablity, cabretta, and at 2 for 13.95 a super deal.

A friend of mine likes the cheaper glove due to its a bit thinner, but it also has a bit less durability.

• 8 months later...

I ordered a dozen and played a 9 hole round with them yesterday. They're much better than most $20 per dozen balls, but not a Pro V1. The have very good spin into the green, great feel and good distance. My only issue with the ball is that I was getting some inconsistent distance.
My drive on one hole was about 270 and the very next drive was about 170. I really thought I connected with it and was expecting about 250. That left me with an approach shot to the green of about 215. I hit my 4 wood about 225 so I thought why not. The ball again went about 170. I parked it for the day and played a Titleist NXT Tour.
I'll be playing a new MG C-4 again today in hopes that it was my swing and not the ball. It may have been a bad ball.

I've been playing Srixon Z-Stars for about 3 years and love them but just don't like the price. About two years ago I was out of town and needed some balls so I purchased a sleeve of Z-Stars from the pro shop. Must have been a bad batch because they were duds. No distance at all. Just goes to show that every manufacturer makes some bad ones.

• 1 month later...

Let me just say that I am a golf ball snob. While in Ireland this past September a gentleman I was playing with told me about the MG ball. I was polite but not overly enthusiastic about trying one. Three weeks later a dozen MG balls were delivered to my house compliments of my new friend. So what the heck, I decided to try one. This morning I put my Prov V1 away and I used an MG ball and I was amazed at the distance and feel I was getting. If I didn't know better I would have thought that I was playing a very expensive ball. When I got home I actually ordered 10 boxes which cost me just $200.