IGNORED

Forgiving Clubs with little or no offset? Help

Note: This thread is 6229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been looking to get new irons. I'm looking for an iron set that has forgiving weight distribution, and a low center of gravity, but with little or no offset. Every club I look at, though has a high offset: X-18, ping i5, nike slingshot.

As a test I have a used Tommy Armour 845 silver back #1iron that I hit reasonably well when I control my swing speed and hit the sweet spot. I like the no offset look, but don't have a clue which iron set because of a confusing iron market. My wedges have only a very small amount of offset, and I hit these good. (cleveland 588 gunmetal sand and lob)

Any one have any recomendations on forgiving clubs with no offset?

What is offset for anyway?

thanks in advance and hit'em long and straight

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

I have been looking to get new irons. I'm looking for an iron set that has forgiving weight distribution, and a low center of gravity, but with little or no offset. Every club I look at, though has a high offset: X-18, ping i5, nike slingshot.

Offsets primary advantage is that it helps golfers maintain a descending angle through the ball. That is why there is more offset in longer irons. Better golfers tend to dislike offset because it makes the ball fly higher and can make the club more difficult to align. If you don't have trouble attaining sufficient hight there is no real advantage to you.

The clubs you listed are all game improvement models. There aren't a lot of clubs in the middle, The Wilson Ci6's I play are one example. Some of the forged game improvement irons from Mizuno or some of the Titlest models have reduced offset and still are pretty forgiving. The pro or tour models of of popular cast clubs usually have less offset, but still are reasonably forgiving.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Most game improvement irons have some progressive offset (more offset with the longer irons). Sounds like you are looking for less overall, perhaps a forged club with a smaller cavity back. Mizuno MP-60 comes to mind. Or maybe Cleveland CG4 Tour or Callaway X-20 Tour. A lot of companies are making a "tour" model of a game improvement iron for this reason. A nice bridge from the GA category and the player's irons.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Check the Titleist 775 or even better, the 755

It sounds like you dig the classic iron look. Most Callaways are pretty heavy on the top line with the X-forged being exception. X-forged are pretty sweet too.

My Bag

Taylor Made: R580XD, Graffaloy Prototype Comp NT X
Callaway: Hawkeye VFT Pro 13*, Fujikura Vista Pro 70 S
Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

[QUOTE=allin;43769]Offsets primary advantage is that it helps golfers maintain a descending angle through the ball. That is why there is more offset in longer irons. Better golfers tend to dislike offset because it makes the ball fly higher and can make the club more difficult to align. If you don't have trouble attaining sufficient hight there is no real advantage to you.

Isn't another advantage to offset that it allows players to keep their hands in front of the clubhead? I don't care for a lot of offset on my clubs (Titleist 695cb) because it makes me prone to hit the ball left. Keeping your hands in front may be another way to say that you are maintaining a descending angle through the ball, but a lot of "game improvement" drivers have an offset hosel and I thought the main advantage of that was to fight slicing (and of course you're clubhead isn't reaching the ball on a descending angle with a driver).

Jorgesgolf

I was hitting the TM R7TP, Callaway X20 Tour, Ping i5, and the Titelist 775 today. Trying to decide which iron I may go to. I "narrowed" it down to the 775, X20 and i5s. In that order I think for me anyway. To me the 775s felt best maybe because they are forged. But they also had good feedback, but felt a bit less harsh on the mishits as the others.

The R7TPs were a bit too much for me as you realy had to have a nice centered hit to get good results (for me anyway).

But who knows this is my third or fourth time hitting this season.

Drew

My TaylorMade rac LT2's are quite forgiving cast cavities, and the have some offset, but not much. you might wanna check em out.

I second this...the RAC LTs have less offset and should be a good transition from OS type irons to Forged Blades.

I was hitting the TM R7TP, Callaway X20 Tour, Ping i5, and the Titelist 775 today. Trying to decide which iron I may go to. I "narrowed" it down to the 775, X20 and i5s. In that order I think for me anyway. To me the 775s felt best maybe because they are forged. But they also had good feedback, but felt a bit less harsh on the mishits as the others.

I thought the 775 and I5's had a lit'l too much improvement and went with the R7TP's. Now those X-20 Tours are a close 2nd in feel.

In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

yea i think the r7 TP's are the best shot one might have...

My Bag

Driver- Titleist 907 D2 (10.5°), Mitsubishi Diamana BlueBoard
4 Wood- Nickent 3DX Pro (14°), Accuflex Icon
Hybrid- Nickent 3DX (17°), True Temper S300Irons (3 to W)- PING I3 Blades, True Temper S30056°- Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, True Temper S30060°- Cleveland 900 Gunmetal, True...

You can see what I play below. Maybe I am naive and uneducated, but if you get fit for irons you can have them set to whatever works for you - offset or not.

I love my PING's by the way, and would never switch, because they really work for me.

i3+ irons
G5 13.5* driver
G5 B60 putter
58 lob wedge
Revolution Tour ball

Many companies make a "pro" version of their flagship club ( i.e. Callaway makes the X20 for most of us and a less forgiving "pro" version of the same club ). You might check those out because they often contain quite a bit of game improvement technology with less offset. Now, I like the Titleist 775s. Many subscibers to this site do not like the offset in that set's longer irons. The short irons in the 775 set are smaller and more like other Titliest models. The 755s have less offset than the 775s. Regardless, you may wish to hit several different models to determine which feel/work best for you. Once you've narrowed your selection to one set, get fit by a pro. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Note: This thread is 6229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!