IGNORED

Who buys new and why?

Note: This thread is 4576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Although I'm not in the market for new clubs right now, when I have bought clubs, I've always bought used and gone to 2nd Swing, Golfsmith etc. For those of you looking to get a new (or new to you) driver, set of irons, etc. do you head to your pro shop, or do you go buy used. What are your reasons for either choice? Can you hold off until next year to get this year's newest stuff, or do you want to have it now?

jorgesgolf

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm not in the market for new clubs right now, when I have bought clubs, I've always bought used and gone to 2nd Swing, Golfsmith etc. For those of you looking to get a new (or new to you) driver, set of irons, etc. do you head to your pro shop, or do you go buy used. What are your reasons for either choice? Can you hold off until next year to get this year's newest stuff, or do you want to have it now?

I've bought used for everything except my main irons, which I bought new. This is because they're an off-brand (so you aren't likely to *find* used) and a friend (single-digit handicapper) recommended a specific store. The store took my measurements (etc) to ensure that I had the right set. And they work great. I paid about $180 for the irons and $75 for the 5-Wood.

For the driver, etc, though, I didn't want to pay $400. I just can't afford it. So I bought used at a Roger Dunn tent sale. The advantage here is the 90-day 100% back guarantee, so I could keep swapping in until I found what I want. I'm past that guarantee now on all except my 3Wood, which might find its way back this week as I ponder alternatives.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have done some of both. I have bought used putters a number of times including a used Corsa Monza I am testing now, also specialty clubs or a type of club I am trying for the first time, hybrid, lob wedge etc.. I tend to buy fairway woods and Drivers new, but usually last years models at a discount. Getting ready to put Cobra M speed 3wd and 7wd in the bag soon bought that way. I just bought my fourth set of irons in 25 years. I need upright lies usually and if you buy used and then pay for adjustments there is not much savings. Since I usually play them for 6-8 years I think it is worth it. Besides there is nothing like taking out a new set of irons. Having said that it is a luxury. I can't claim that it makes economic sense any more than buying a brand new car makes sense, most of the depreciation is in the first year either way.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

[QUOTE=Shindig;43782]I've bought used for everything except my main irons, which I bought new.

I noticed your carry both a four iron and a 23 degree baffler. I would think there wouldn't be much of a distance gap between them? Do you carry both for another reason?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I have done some of both. I have bought used putters a number of times including a used Corsa Monza I am testing now, also specialty clubs or a type of club I am trying for the first time, hybrid, lob wedge etc.. I tend to buy fairway woods and Drivers new, but usually last years models at a discount. Getting ready to put Cobra M speed 3wd and 7wd in the bag soon bought that way. I just bought my fourth set of irons in 25 years. I need upright lies usually and if you buy used and then pay for adjustments there is not much savings. Since I usually play them for 6-8 years I think it is worth it. Besides there is nothing like taking out a new set of irons. Having said that it is a luxury. I can't claim that it makes economic sense any more than buying a brand new car makes sense, most of the depreciation is in the first year either way.

That's what I was thinking of - the depreciation. When you go to stores like Golfsmith that sell used clubs, a lot of them are in great shape and look like they are almost new, so what's the point of buying new?. When you are talking about having to make adjustments on used clubs - wouldn't you have to make the same adjustment on new clubs that are "off the rack" - or do you get a deal when you buy a new set that they will do the adjustments for free? Here's another potentially interesting question: I used to work at a country club and the head pro essentially owned all of the merchandise in the pro shop, so the members purchased almost all of their equipment through him. Does anybody belong to a private club where this is the case? Do you feel compelled to buy from your pro or do you head elsewhere? jorgesgolf

I noticed your carry both a four iron and a 23 degree baffler. I would think there wouldn't be much of a distance gap between them? Do you carry both for another reason?

Sure. Here's a brief history (it'll explain why) : - When I started, I had my 4I-SW set and a 5W, plus an old putter. Then in November, I bought used clubs to fill the rest at a RD Tent Sale. I wanted a driver, 3W, hybrid, and a new putter. The hybrid I initially got was a 3h, but I hit it barely past my 4I. The pro with whom I work (sometimes) suggested that I try a 4H and suggested a Cobra brand. I hit the Cobra 4H about 15 yards past my 4I, but shy of my 5W. It filled the gap perfectly (my 4I expected distance is about 150 yards for an average hit for me, 5W average about 175... hybrid about 165 - and generally straight). My 4I is also 23 degrees, I think. I have the lofts listed on another machine. Essentially, it's a 3-Iron that I hit high instead of low and out of rough. It just has a "4" listed. I'm very tempted to pick up more of the baffler series to replace the woods. I love 'em and can't hit my 3W well. Now, I know someone who carries 4H and 4I with same distances, but different trajectories. But I can't claim that reason when my hybrid is so much farther for me

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Everything in my bag now was purchased new. That way I get to try everything out on a launch montor or simulator, and I don't have to "settle" for whatever is on the used rack. I bought a driver used... big mistake. Felt good in the store, wasn't worth a darn on the course. When you buy new you also get the warranty as well... can be worth a lot of money in itself if you have a problem.

Besides, I just like the look of shiny new clubs... I only buy new ones every decade or so, so I figure I deserve it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I buy new, but I usually wait and buy it on sale. I don't mind playing last years model especially drivers to save $100+. I am looking at a new putter just cause I'm not liking the mallet blade any more, and I will probably pay full retail but again my putter and irons will usually out live my driver by many years.

That's what I was thinking of - the depreciation. When you go to stores like Golfsmith that sell used clubs, a lot of them are in great shape and look like they are almost new, so what's the point of buying new?. When you are talking about having to make adjustments on used clubs - wouldn't you have to make the same adjustment on new clubs that are "off the rack" - or do you get a deal when you buy a new set that they will do the adjustments for free?

When you buy new, a fitting where flex and lie are fitted is usually included. If you need longer or shorter shafts, lie adjustments, they just order the clubs with those specs. If you want loft adjusted that is usually extra. If you buy used, adjustments are usually extra, 3-5 dollars a club for loft and lie adjustment, if you need to lengthen or shorten the shafts that is extra also.

Sometimes I'll buy new but more times than not I'll buy used or buy "like new". I have purchased on ebay before as well. I do hate buying clubs that have been used a lot. I'm picky about condition and like to take care of my clubs. I won't buy a driver new, unless it's on sale/clearance. Unless you're the guy who has to have the very latest then to me it doesn't make sense. What's $400 one day will be $200 in probably a year.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I always try to buy new. I usually catch the previous model on sale. For instance, I just bought a brand new set of Big Bertha 2004 4-SW (9 irons total) for $300 shipped. Not bad.

I generally buy used but I will buy new if I find something that I HAVE to have right now and can't find available secondhand. I have a clubfitter I visit every 6 months or so (I play golf with him a few times a year as well) and I'll usually buy clubs just before I go in for a visit. When I am there I will jump on his launch monitor for a bash to see if anything has changed (it rarely does) and we'll talk about any changes that might need to be made or anything I'd like to try or he'd like me to try.

If I have bought something new I'll then hand it over to him to set up for me. Sometimes he'll say something like "have you tried the Aldila V2 shaft yet?" if he thinks it might be worth my while putting in a driver and if I have a secondhand driver I have bought he'll fit it for me or I might go online and try to find something secondhand with an Aldila V2 already installed.

Another great thing about clubfitters is they'll usually have loads of secondhand heads and shafts lying around that have been traded in/discarded/were demos that they'll sell to you at a good price. The guy I go to has some clients with more money than sense, they change shafts in their driver and fairway woods as often as some people have hot breakfasts so I can pick up cheaply what they wasted their money on buying new.

I find buying secondhand to be a lot cheaper and if you buy stuff that is in great condition you can save a lot of money and still have top quality equipment. I couldn't afford to spend $500 on a brand new driver and then more getting the shaft changed and set up for my specs every 6 months, but if I spend $150 on something 18 months old and then get it set up to my specs it ends up costing me $250-300 and then I can usually sell off what I was using previously to cover a lot of the cost.

I buy everything brand new,never used, but I work at a golf course and get everything at wholesale price through the pro shop, so be jealous.

That's just not fair

. I wish I got wholesale prices. Anyway, I buy new but like a lot of people wait around for prices to drop. I also found you can get great deals on new stuff at the large golf shows. We have one in Michigan and if you make it there early and go to all the tents then you can usually find some pretty good deals.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

I would prefer to buy equipment new, but due to the high cost I try to buy used as often as possible to be able to save up to 50% for an item between 1-2 yrs. old. Of my last purchases I bought my two TM mid rescue and Cleveland lob wedge new but bought my TM R7 driver used (had a few scratches but it came with an upgraded Aldila NV shaft) for only $128 and a back up TM Monsa Rosa used (need a few paint touch-ups and some minor face scuffs) putter with brand new Winn grips for $58. Because I can buy used clubs for a fraction of the price I can generally try out different clubs that suit my style for the day or course layout.

I'm now saving up for some used Titleist Vokey wedges, MacTec NVG2 & Cleveland Hi-Bore drivers.

The only new item I have on my lists to buy is the new Never Compromist GM 2 Exchange #3 putter.
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

I buy everything brand new,never used, but I work at a golf course and get everything at wholesale price through the pro shop, so be jealous.

I am jealous.

I bought all my clubs new back then, probably because I was just starting to play golf about 8 months ago and I had no clubs to play with. So I had to have them immediately. Then it struck me when I found out that $399 r7 460 back then is $299 now. Can't really put a blame on it though, I got Rescue Dual #2 for free with it.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Note: This thread is 4576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!