IGNORED

Is golf obnoxious?

trackster
Note: This thread is 4625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While reading an article some where on the internet one time, I was going through the usual golf bashers and laughing at how "stupid" there reasoning was.  Then I saw someone who said something like "Golf is obnoxious just look at the tremendous amounts of land it takes up.  If that land was put towards farming or something it could really help out."

I didn't realize just how much land a golf course takes up until I realized how far along the high way i drove to get to the clubhouse once i visually saw the first hole.  And my golf course only plays 6600 yards.  A 7000 + course would be even bigger.

Golf is expensive too 500 dollars or so to play a single round?  That is ridiculous.

It is also rooted in country clubs, and i don't think i need to dive into that

Just what do you think on the subject?

"Golf is obnoxious just look at the tremendous amounts of land it takes up.  If that land was put towards farming or something it could really help out."

The same logic applies to universities and churches. If all the land dedicated to education and religion were put to farming, we'd have a lot more food! [quote name="trackster" url="/forum/thread/51891/is-golf-obnoxious#post_632760"]

Golf is expensive too 500 dollars or so to play a single round?  That is ridiculous.

[/quote] There exist golf courses that charge large fees. There also exist ones with very small fees. I've paid as little as $2 for a round of golf (par-3s course). I've paid as little as $10 to play a regulation course. [quote name="trackster" url="/forum/thread/51891/is-golf-obnoxious#post_632760"]

[/quote] No it isn't. It's rooted in sheep herders hitting a rock around a pasture. [quote name="trackster" url="/forum/thread/51891/is-golf-obnoxious#post_632760"]

[/quote] If this were your first post, I'd think you're trolling. Instead, I'm not sure what to think.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I could fit every church in my town on about the first 3 holes of a golf course.  And the University on the next 3.

The fact that a golf course thinks that it is elite enough to charge 500 dollars is outrageous.  I could get 3 years of unlimited golf at my home course for 500 dollars.

Maybe rooted is a bad word, what i meant was that country clubs (that can some times get elitist that join them) are centered around golf.

As for trolling wtf?  Presenting an observation and asking what other people think, sounds like an ok way to start a discussion to me.

Is Yosemite National Park obnoxious because it sets aside 760,000 acres for people who are willing to pay the entrance fee to come there and enjoy? Is it somehow socially irresponsible to not turn that area into rows of cornfields and logging camps?  And regarding some courses charging $500 - if that's too rich for your blood, you don't have to play there. For every $500 course there are probably 500 $30-or-less courses.

Now, if the argument was that golf courses use too much water, that might be a valid concern - although many are turning to more eco-friendly processes (using less water, and/or reclaiming it).

Bill

Is living in a house (versus an apartment) also obnoxious? Think of all the land that would be freed up if everyone moved into 10 story apartment buildings. Of course it isn't like we need more farm land. If we could sell more food, we would grow more food.

As far as cost, sure 500 bucks is bad. But the people that pay 500 are also the ones buying 50k cars, 500k houses, 200 dollar shirts, and so on. The rest of us can get by with 50 dollar rounds and 25k cars.

I couldn't see on your profile where you were from (didn't try to hard, and kind of a newbie here) .  I'm from and grew up in South Dakota.  If you want to score ridiculous wastes of land then maybe you want to look at hunting.  $800 plus a day, and thousands of acres of land that will never be harvested for sport.

I agree. The North American (and Western European) way of life is a fraud. It's an unsustainable existence built on an ideal that God created every living thing on earth for our amusement. It's disgusting watching local rivers polluted and/or rerouted to extinction. Ironically, often times the worst offender is FARMING.

Originally Posted by trackster

I could fit every church in my town on about the first 3 holes of a golf course.  And the University on the next 3.

The fact that a golf course thinks that it is elite enough to charge 500 dollars is outrageous.  I could get 3 years of unlimited golf at my home course for 500 dollars.

Maybe rooted is a bad word, what i meant was that country clubs (that can some times get elitist that join them) are centered around golf.

As for trolling wtf?  Presenting an observation and asking what other people think, sounds like an ok way to start a discussion to me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by x129

Is living in a house (versus an apartment) also obnoxious?

Actually yes, it is.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think what's more ridiculous is the fact that you're taking one of the most expensive greens fees out there and applying it as if that's the cost of your average greens fee. That's like saying all cars are ridiculously expensive because you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a Ferrari.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While reading an article some where on the internet one time, I was going through the usual golf bashers and laughing at how "stupid" there reasoning was.  Then I saw someone who said something like "Golf is obnoxious just look at the tremendous amounts of land it takes up.  If that land was put towards farming or something it could really help out."

I didn't realize just how much land a golf course takes up until I realized how far along the high way i drove to get to the clubhouse once i visually saw the first hole.  And my golf course only plays 6600 yards.  A 7000 + course would be even bigger.

Perhaps people who think that golf courses are a waste of land that could be used for farming should look at urban sprawl.  Theres a lot of subdivisions that are being built on top of very fertile farmland simply because people want to live close to the city but still have a yard and feel like they are living in the country.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Just silly. Its like saying Boston Common or Central Park, both large acres of land in the middle of a city, are obnoxious. Pave over the courses and build another Mall of America.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Don't worry. If the economy doesn't turn around soon there will be a lot of golf courses converted to other uses in the not too distant future. In the meantime, I'm going to see how many of them I can play while they're still in business. Call me obnoxious but I LOVE GOLF!!! I'm hooked and I don't care if it's irresponsible. By the way, just think how many people we could feed if the liquor industry didn't use so much grain to make hooch.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

We live in America, we have land.  The biggest waste of land is the cementary.  You could make a nice course on most of them.  FYI, I'm just joking around.  This is just some liberal BS how we are wasteful and shouldn't have these luxuries.

Brian

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by x129

Is living in a house (versus an apartment) also obnoxious?

Actually yes, it is.

Damn your Vulcan logic.

Bill

If having green space is a waste of land, then we should all burn in hell for our urban lifestyles.

I'm sure all the equipment it takes to run a farm would be awesome for the environment..along with all the chemicals involved :)

The only thing obnoxious are people who try to find fault in everything...the whistle blowers.

• Upvote 1

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I'm going to try to answer all of the above in this one post.

Sure I don't have to golf a 500 dollar course.  But no course is worth 500 dollars to play it.  Cheaper courses earn money through trafficking (lots of players), and I'm guessing the 500 dollar course makes money on "prestigiousness" or "legacy" or what ever.  Golf is golf.  Sure the 500 dollar course is better then my 22 dollar home course.  But is it 20 times better...i think not.

As for who ever was arguing (as sarcastic as it was) that we should get rid of universities as well because they take up a lot of land.  HELLO a university is 100 times more important than a golf course.  Check that it is even more than 100 times more important.

As for the house/ apartment debate.  Sure it would be more land friendly if every one was in an apartment.  But at the same time i could fit 300 houses confortably on the land that takes up a golf course.

As for hunting I'll agree that private land sold out to hunting is a bit of a waste.  But i hunt on public land available for hunting.  This is a wildlife setting, and was not created (like a golf course) it has always been there.  Plus most of the choice hunting land is farm land.

I feel like farming took a hit here just because it was brought up as the alternative to a golf course.  What i think the person meant in the article I read is that the land used by a golf course could be used for more benificial things such as farming or even housing.

I never said 500 dollars was an average green fee.  I said that their are courses that charge 500 dollars.  I see what you are saying about saying cars are obnoxious because some are 200,000 + dollars.  But cars are built and sold with the parts and labor and a desired profit in mind.  If you buy a 200,000 dollar car you are getting a hell of a car.  Like i said before golf is golf, sure the 500 dollar course is nice but not 20 times nicer than another course.  And once you are done with the 18 you have memories.  Where when you bought the car you still have a super nice car, and you could even sell it later.  You can't sell golf memories.

As for urban sprawl I would say housing is more important then a golf course.  If some one told you that 10 people would lose their homes completely, but a new golf course would be opened in town that resembled pebble beach and rounds only cost 25 dollars.  And you had the choice would you really say let the 10 people lose their homes.  (I would hope not)

As for a central park.  These are built by cities for the enjoyment of its citizens.  Golf courses are built to make profits.  Quite a difference.

I'll agree with that we are wasteful in an extreme amount of ways.

Finally I'm not saying I see a golf course as a waste, If you haven't noticed i signed up for an account on a golf forum.  I really like the game.  I just think that the guys comment i brought up about how a golf course takes up a ton of land has a point.

actually, a lot of golf courses are ran by cities and are just the same as parks, pools, recreational softball leagues, so on and so forth.  My home course is ran by the the city and is an integral part of the park its built in.  It draws many people to my town to play and is there for the citizens to enjoy themselves and is a healthy hobby.

I guess someone else would rather sit on their butt and watch a farmer grow crops so they can eat more food.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Note: This thread is 4625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!