IGNORED

What's the freakiest thing that's ever happened to you on the course?

mgolfer167
Note: This thread is 4648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This should definitely unearth some interesting stories. Here's mine.

I went out to my local course on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon to play 9. I was having a decent round, so I decided to play the back, despite how busy the course was (Aren't all Sundays?!). Anyway, I was behind these two pretty hefty guys-- who were obviously the average beer-drinking, once-a-week golfers. These guys were (amazingly so) both in a cart, and they were whooping and hollering and driving all over the fairway. I'm thinking that I'll just walk off and head home, when suddenly one of the guys starts screaming and rushes at the other guy!!! He grabs the guy by the shirt and drags him onto the fairway. The other guy starts throwing punches, and they start to roll down the fairway, screaming and kicking at each other. Then one of the guys gets up from the fairway, and scrambles to the cart trying to get away. The other guy takes his fairway wood (which he was going to hit) and takes one of the most viscious cuts I have ever seen. The club (fortunately for the guy trying to get away) hits the bar on the cart and shatters. At this point, I am grabbing for my cell. Part of me wonders if I should call 911 or the clubhouse. Just as I start dialing, one of the guys looks up at me. As these guys are only about 200 yards from me, I start to get genuinely scared. Well, out of nowhere, the guys just start shaking hands and slapping each other on the back. Since nothing actually happened to the one guy, I didn't report the event, figuring that these two guys were either extremely stupid or (as I now suspect) extremely drunk. All in all, I have never seen anything more bizarre happen during a round of golf

• Upvote 1

1.  Rode out a small tornado at Tenison Park hiding in a ditch while I watched it snap 100 year old oak trees.

2.  Saw a police chase and one of the passengers shooting at the cop car from the fairway at Cedar Crest

3.  Watched two drunk guys roll their cart and one of them was thrown from the cart and landed head first on the concrete.  I stayed with him for probably 30 mins talking to him to see if he had any kind of major head trauma till his wife arrived.

4.  Saw two hispanics with rifles chasing a mountain lion that was carrying off a small dog in its mouth at a muni outside of San Antonio

5.  Don't remember the name of the course (San Angelo) but it was close to dark and stepped down into a deep bunker and flushed a couple of turkeys that scared about 5 years off my life span.

Too many more... but after playing every Saturday for like 15 years you will see some crazy stuff.

Saw a drunk guy ditch his cart down a rocky 50 foot downhill slope (you're supposed to obviously use the path which winds down to the green on the particular par 3). The cart was trashed and the police were called out.

We also saw a very drunk woman, do a very nasty thing on a green when she was asked by the general manager to leave the course for being too drunk and obnoxious. Use your imagination here, but it was honestly the most disgusting thing you can possibly think of without going into really gross details. I think we all laughed out of shock and awe, but it was really, really, really gross lol.

This one here is funny... We had our bowling banquet/golf outing at a course, and the 9th hole is a Par 3 (130 yards). This was set up for a $20 closest to the pin prize. Our buddy took the cart down and left us behind as a joke, and parked to the left of the green. We told him he would probably get hit there, but he laughed and said we would really have to hit a bad shot to even get close as he was driving away.

Long story short, my father pulled a shot on accident and the ball bounced off the top of the cart, ricocheted off of the tree directly behind the cart and actually landed 3 feet from the cup and he won the $20 C2P prize. Insane and will never be forgotten or duplicated. We still talk about this story even though it was almost 6 years ago.

I once had 18 consecutive hole in ones. Seriously

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Dunno if freaky applies but here goes... My town has two courses I play. In my years of golf I have hit another player twice, once at each course. It was the same guy both times. Sorry Bo.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

on my home course we have 2 par 4's that run parallel to each other with a big hill across both of them.  i pull my drive in the left rough between the holes but below the top of the hill.  i pull out an iron and am standing behind my ball lining up the shot when i hear the ping of a drive from the other hole where the group behind me can't see me.  in my head i say, "what are the odds?".  the ball comes screaming over the hill and hits the shaft of my club right below the grip on the fly and bends the shaft almost in half.  if it would have been an inch to the right or left it would have hit my right between the legs.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

I once had to hide in a porta-potty during a surprise vicious thunderstorm; that thing was rocking back and forth like a ship on high seas.  But it was better than nothing at that point...nowadays I am glad I have an iPad with weather radar to warn me!

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

I played a 9 hole course one day with a friend of mine.  He laid up short of a creek(ditch) which had an arched stone bridge as the walkway.  He skulled his shot, it hit the bridge and came back at him and hit him right between the legs.  He screamed like a little girl and fell in slow motion to his side.  When he got up he picked up his bag and threw them in the creek.  He walked away and as far as I know has never played golf again.

Now that right there was funny.........

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

My freshman year of high school, three other guys and I were walking from the tee out toward the fairway with my high school coach riding alongside us talking to us. After a short walk across a bridge, we all took the normal beaten path out toward the fairway. I had my bag slung across my back as we were walking. I heard a snapping sound, and before I knew it I felt a brush on the back of my head and my straps broke off my bag. I turned around quickly and saw a limb about 10 feet long with a 5-6 inch diameter laying on the ground. I literally came a couple inches from taking that thing square on the top of my head.

A little over a month ago, I was playing one of my favorite courses.  It was extremely hot out (triple digits) and when I got to the course, there was pretty much nobody else around, so I decided to play 9 holes by myself.  I got out to the 5th hole and just made a mess of it.  The pin was cut up on the back tier of the green, DIRECTLY on the slope.  A missed putt all but assured you of rolling to the second tier.  Well, after hacking it around for awhile, I finally got my ball up on the green.  I was on the top tier, but had to putt back towards the slope.  I missed my putt by about 3 inches and the ball stopped for a fraction of a second and then rolled about 30 feet away.  The next 3 putts all came right back to my feet.  I finally got one to hang on the edge, and I tapped in for a miserable score (it's so bad, I don't even want to type it).

Anyway... I grabbed my wedge from just off the green and walked backwards for a few steps, staring down the hole in disgust.  Just as I was getting towards the green exit, I turned around and missed stepping on this guy below by a few inches.  Absolutely scared the beejeebus out of me!  Easily 9 feet long and as thick as a wiffle ball bat.

A few holes later, I almost drove over top of a turtle (carts mandatory) in the rough of the 7th hole (made birdie that hole though)... and the very next hole, I hit my ball short of the 8th green into a grouping (gaggle??) of about 25 geese.  Every one of them hissed at me as I approached the green.  I was so flustered by wildlife on this course that I flubbed my pitch... twice, and made double bogey.

Overall, it was not a banner day for me and I was glad to escape the heat, and the course, after the 9th hole.

CY

BV Snake.jpg

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

there's a par 3 entirely over water at a local course.  it's about 175 yards from tee to center of green, though it's set pretty far down so it plays 155ish.  i get to the box and there's a guy up there hitting ball after ball after ball, and plunking them all in the water.  he looks at me and says "i'm sorry, but i am bound and determined to hit this f#@!*$ green, and i've got ONE ball left."  he hits it, and it looks picture perfect, but actually went a hair too far and rolled about 5 yards off the back of the green.  he's beaming, though, says "good enough for me!" and drives on down to the hole.  he takes his stance over his ball to chip it up, blades it, and the ball scuttles across the green and into the pond.  he just stands there for a minute, looking at the ground, as i watch from back up on the box.  finally he goes to the cart, takes his bag off, and throws it into the pond and drives away.  well, y'know... whatever.  his clubs were just department store junk anyway, so he probably threw away all of $100 bag and all.  i get ready to hit my ball from the box when i see the guy coming back.  he takes off his shoes, climbs down into the pond, pulls his bag out... gets out his car keys from one of the pockets... then throws the bag back in the water and drives away again.  this time presumably for good.

Picitinni Arsenal last fall - a buddy of mine & I just drove the 6th hole & as we were walking down the edge of the fairway, the largest black bear I've ever seen (I've seen alot of them - this old timer went 450-500 pounds easy) lumbers out about 50 feet in front of us onto the fairway.     We stop, he looks at us, sits down & proceeds to start licking his paws, while keeping an eye on us.    Without saying a word we start backing up ---  s l o w l y ---  and make it to a point where we could walk to the adjacent fairway.      My buddy had a "here's your sign" moment & actually said do you think we could have walked by him. He then proceeded to tell me the joke about the two guys out hiking see a bear walking at them & one of them stops walking, grabs his running shoes out of his napsack & puts on his running shoes ... the other whispers WTF are you doing ??    He says, all I've gotta do is outrun you ... I didn't see the humor at the time.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow....crazy stories.  Nothing like that happens where I play.   A large eagle picked up and flew away with my partners tee shot once....it flew straight down the middle of the fairway maybe 50yds before he dropped the ball.  Of course, my partner played his ball where it came to rest.  A nice bird assist.....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

One time a crow stole my unopened snickers bar from my cart and flew it to the roof of the clubhouse and dropped it in the chimney. Little bastard.

One of the guys mowing at my home course got to close to one of the water hazards. I look over and he's falling head of heels out of the mower into the water with the mower following. It was funny after I saw he was fine.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I was playing in a corporate outing once when this drunk co-worker of mine (woman driver) tried to drive her cart across a walkers bridge..........the cart became helplessly stuck between the handrails and required a "TOW"...to be freed.

Very embarrassing...she was playing in my group and thankfully not driving my cart.  We had to wait and allow groups to play through while waiting for a tow.... Later during that same round, she cut a left-turn corner too tight and drove into a stone embankment retaining wall and scraped her left leg all to hell.   The left-front nose of the cart was smashed to hell.... :shakes head:

My company outing never returned to that course.......go figure?

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!