IGNORED

When is driver off the deck a good play?

trackster
Note: This thread is 2500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by B of H

the head flew off my 910D3 the next day after I hit a few drivers off the deck on the range.

i'll never do it again.

Hmmm.  Wonder if you had a defective shaft.  I've duffed tee shots where I've taken a fairly large divot a few times by mistake and my driver is no worse for wear.  In contrast, my bud had a Titleist 907 where he cracked the shaft near the hosel yet he never hit the ball fat.  IIRC, Titleist replaced the shaft at no-cost.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I could probably do it because i don't hit down with my 3-woods like my irons. I take a slight divot, but nothing that would break a club. I haven't hit it off the deck in a while though, i wouldn't thinka bout it now with my new 3-wood.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by trackster

I'm going to agree with CuppedTin and highly doubt that someone is hitting the same off the ground as they are off the tee.  If you hit your driver 240 off the deck and 240 off the tee then you have poor off the tee mechanics.  The fact that you have to hit driver on your second shot usually (not always) means that you hit a sub par tee shot.  If you couldn't hit a good shot off the tee why in your train of thought would you think you could now hit the same club off the deck.  If you watch Bubba Watson's shot you will see that he took quite a bit of divot.  He is strong enough to pull off that shot.

I don't get why people are getting on him for questioning what some one says.  When people question everyone who says they average 300 yards off the tee.  He probably has experience with the shot and knows how difficult it is to pull off.  Seeing as he is an 8 handicap I  am sure that he has a good swing and can play a vast array of shots.  Hitting a driver off the deck is hard.  Also a claim that you can hit a driver 50 yards farther off the deck then your 3 wood seems strange to me.  I can't even hit my driver 50 yards farther than my 3 wood when I use my driver off the tee.  I average 235-250 off the tee, and when I was consistantly hitting my 3 wood I would average in the neighborhood of 210-220.   And my 3 wood is a persimmon wood.

Did you actually read my posts?  I said I could hit the driver 20 yards farther than my 3W off the deck.  And hitting driver off the deck has never been that hard for me.  Maybe it's hard for you - it isn't for me.  Swing by the Denver area any time you like and I'll demonstrate.  CuppedTin's contention that I hit 8 out of 10 OB or some such crap is pure nonsense from his own lack of imagination.The reality is that I probably hit 8 out of 10 pretty much as I intend to.  I actually hit this shot better with driver than I do with my 3W, but with less distance control.  I don't use it all of the time, only when it would be of benefit to my score.  But when I need it it's there.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm going to agree with CuppedTin and highly doubt that someone is hitting the same off the ground as they are off the tee.  If you hit your driver 240 off the deck and 240 off the tee then you have poor off the tee mechanics.  The fact that you have to hit driver on your second shot usually (not always) means that you hit a sub par tee shot.  If you couldn't hit a good shot off the tee why in your train of thought would you think you could now hit the same club off the deck.  If you watch Bubba Watson's shot you will see that he took quite a bit of divot.  He is strong enough to pull off that shot.

I don't get why people are getting on him for questioning what some one says.  When people question everyone who says they average 300 yards off the tee.  He probably has experience with the shot and knows how difficult it is to pull off.  Seeing as he is an 8 handicap I  am sure that he has a good swing and can play a vast array of shots.  Hitting a driver off the deck is hard.  Also a claim that you can hit a driver 50 yards farther off the deck then your 3 wood seems strange to me.  I can't even hit my driver 50 yards farther than my 3 wood when I use my driver off the tee.  I average 235-250 off the tee, and when I was consistently hitting my 3 wood I would average in the neighborhood of 210-220.   And my 3 wood is a persimmon wood.

Thank you for your post, everybody seems to want to follow the so called "leader" on these threads which I find quite amusing. And yes Fourputt, I am referring to you.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Are you saying you doubt certain forum posters' claims of hitting driver off the deck consistently as far as they do off a tee? What are you basing this doubt on?

I'm just asking because I feel offended every time someone claims that any amateur who claims to be able to drive the ball consistently farther than Brad Faxon or Ben Crenshaw (OFF A TEE) is a GD liar - ironically . . .

Look, I'm not doubting anyone because I honestly don't care. All I am saying is that if you can't get the damn ball off the tee and you constantly shoot in the 80's or higher, then what business do you have trying to launch a driver off the ground, you obviously don't have the swing for it so why not go with a higher percentage shot! And if you are not taking a divot (small) with your driver off the deck then you are flipping/scooping which will make you even more inconsistent...

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Did you actually read my posts?  I said I could hit the driver 20 yards farther than my 3W off the deck.  And hitting driver off the deck has never been that hard for me.  Maybe it's hard for you - it isn't for me.  Swing by the Denver area any time yo like and I'll demonstrate.  CuppedTin's contention that I hit 8 out of 10 OB or some such crap is pure nonsense from his own lack of imagination.The reality is that I probably hit 8 out of 10 pretty much as I intend to.  I actually hit this shot better with driver than I do with my 3W, but with less distance control.  I don't use it all of the time, only when it would be of benefit to my score.  But when I need it it's there.

Listen, I never said "YOU" hit 8 out of 10 OB. That was a general statement about anyone with a high handicap trying that shot. I don't care about statistics and I will make all the assumptions that I want, again those numbers I tossed out are for anyone that does not have a consistent swing and who does not practice that shot often. And since we can't make it to Denver, why don't you post a video of this consistent controlled driver off the deck that you speak so highly of.

I don't get why people are getting on him for questioning what some one says.

Because I doubt he or you know what anybody or everybody on this forum can do just as much as you doubt people can do it.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Because I doubt he or you know what anybody or everybody on this forum can do just as much as you doubt people can do it.

I could care less what you or anyone else on this forum can do! You are missing the point, the point is "WHY" do it...And are you honestly capable of doing it consistently?

This back and forth is starting to seem a bit rediculous...

I think the answer to the original question is this, in two parts:

1. Yes, there are certain shots where a driver off the ground is beneficial (provided you are capable of hitting the shot)

2. The other part is an ability question. Can you hit the shot without too much risk? That is where a lot of this back and forth is coming in and I think that is simply something that each person has to answer for themselves.

It's no different than any other shot, really. A wide open 60* flop shot is an amazing shot to have in certain situations. Does that mean everyone with a 60* wedge should try it? That's really up to each person...

• Upvote 1

Driver -  909D2 9.5*
3 Wood -  975F 14.5*
5 Wood -  909F 18.5*
3I-PW -  Apex circa 2000
SW -   SM 54.08

LW -   SM 60.04

Putter -   Newport 2

Ball -  Pro V1

Originally Posted by parbreaker

This back and forth is starting to seem a bit rediculous...

I think the answer to the original question is this, in two parts:

1. Yes, there are certain shots where a driver off the ground is beneficial (provided you are capable of hitting the shot)

2. The other part is an ability question. Can you hit the shot without too much risk? That is where a lot of this back and forth is coming in and I think that is simply something that each person has to answer for themselves.

It's no different than any other shot, really. A wide open 60* flop shot is an amazing shot to have in certain situations. Does that mean everyone with a 60* wedge should try it? That's really up to each person...

Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by bplewis24

This is a direct example of chopping up my post and replying out of context.  My original saying was "Why are people getting on CuppedTin for doubting this particular shot, when people doubt claims of people averaging 300 yards all the time"

As for what Fourputt said I wasn't directing the 50 yards at you.  In an Earlier post some one asked Iacas how much farther he could hit his driver off the deck then his 3 wood and Iacas replied 50 yards.

• Upvote 1

This is a direct example of chopping up my post and replying out of context.  My original saying was "Why are people getting on CuppedTin for doubting this particular shot, when people doubt claims of people averaging 300 yards all the time"

As for what Fourputt said I wasn't directing the 50 yards at you.  In an Earlier post some one asked Iacas how much farther he could hit his driver off the deck then his 3 wood and Iacas replied 50 yards.

lol, welcome to the wonderful world of forums... Where people read what they want to instead of what it actually says...

• Upvote 1

Erik (Iacas) is a scratch golfer as well as a professional instructor.  If I were you I'd reconsider doubting any claim he makes.  He has nothing to gain by exaggerating.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I was on a long par 4 last week and hit my drive short and into the short (about 1- 1.5") rough.  Because my drive was pretty poor I was going to hit an iron to the fairway when my buddy suggested that I use my driver (10.5 degree Nickent Evolver) since, as he put it, "It's the only club that you've hit worth a damn so far today".  The ball was sitting up and I hit the driver about 225 and straight, to about five yards from the green.  Now, a normal good drive for me is 240 or so, so I was really happy with the shot.  With today's 460cc drivers I might not hit it from the fairway but sitting up in the rough it was pretty inviting.

This is a direct example of chopping up my post and replying out of context.

Actually, no it's not.  But you go right ahead and think that if it suits you.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

You're confusing with having an opinion with forcing your opinion on others.  I agree that most high handicappers who can't hit a driver off a tee consistently probably don't need to add a driver off the deck shot.  Obviously there are some people here who can hit the shot, feel it's beneficial and use it to their advantage when they feel it's required.  Why argue about their ability or percentages of hitting the shot when you have no clue on how they play and never seen them swing?

Originally Posted by CuppedTin

Thank you for your post, everybody seems to want to follow the so called "leader" on these threads which I find quite amusing. And yes Fourputt, I am referring to you.

Look, I'm not doubting anyone because I honestly don't care. All I am saying is that if you can't get the damn ball off the tee and you constantly shoot in the 80's or higher, then what business do you have trying to launch a driver off the ground, you obviously don't have the swing for it so why not go with a higher percentage shot! And if you are not taking a divot (small) with your driver off the deck then you are flipping/scooping which will make you even more inconsistent...

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

And I'm done posting on this thread as well

If only that were true...

I could care less what you or anyone else on this forum can do! You are missing the point, the point is "WHY" do it...And are you honestly capable of doing it consistently?

Given that you could care less, how much do you care right now?

I think FourPutt has answered your questions about "why" and "capable," as have I. To continue to ask the question is to call FourPutt a liar. Enough.

In a strong wind, you bet. I've measured (it's one of the things I do when it's nearly dusk and I'm alone on the course and I'm running out of holes to play and don't want to stop... I'll throw down 10 balls and hit 'em). De-loft the 3W and it'll spin and balloon quite a bit. It'll land and not run, and it'll land shorter than driver might, while the driver might run an extra 70 yards.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You're confusing with having an opinion with forcing your opinion on others. I agree that most high handicappers who can't hit a driver off a tee consistently probably don't need to add a driver off the deck shot. Obviously there are some people here who can hit the shot, feel it's beneficial and use it to their advantage when they feel it's required. Why argue about their ability or percentages of hitting the shot when you have no clue on how they play and never seen them swing?

Exactly. +1 to you.

I'm not trying to convince you, CuppedTin, to begin playing your driver off the deck. Neither is FourPutt. But you're trying to force your opinion on others by making massive generalizations. Generalizations work generally, but not 100%.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You're confusing with having an opinion with forcing your opinion on others. I agree that most high handicappers who can't hit a driver off a tee consistently probably don't need to add a driver off the deck shot. Obviously there are some people here who can hit the shot, feel it's beneficial and use it to their advantage when they feel it's required. Why argue about their ability or percentages of hitting the shot when you have no clue on how they play and never seen them swing? Quote: Originally Posted by CuppedTin Thank you for your post, everybody seems to want to follow the so called "leader" on these threads which I find quite amusing. And yes Fourputt, I am referring to you. Look, I'm not doubting anyone because I honestly don't care. All I am saying is that if you can't get the damn ball off the tee and you constantly shoot in the 80's or higher, then what business do you have trying to launch a driver off the ground, you obviously don't have the swing for it so why not go with a higher percentage shot! And if you are not taking a divot (small) with your driver off the deck then you are flipping/scooping which will make you even more inconsistent...

If someone shoots consistently in the 80's and has said they get in trouble off the tee with the driver then I don't need to see their swing and I have a pretty good idea now of their ability. Can we now get back on topic...

• Administrator

If someone shoots consistently in the 80's and has said they get in trouble off the tee with the driver then I don't need to see their swing and I have a pretty good idea now of their ability.

Can we now get back on topic...

newtogolf's post was more on topic than your continuing put-downs of a guy you've never met. Enough.

You don't think hitting driver off the deck makes sense for your game. We get it. The line sits well before the point where you start to tell other people that they're "idiots" for playing the game a certain way. In the end, what's it to you?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!