IGNORED

When is driver off the deck a good play?

trackster
Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've tried this shot a few times... It's kind of a fun shot to hit... I usually grip down an inch, aim left, swing a smooth 3/4 swing and watch it run like a bat out of hell when it hits the ground... Hell I hit it better than a 3w off the deck, because I don't try to overswing...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's not a scratch on my new driver, and I want to keep it that way. I have a 3W for anything off the deck, and it's not worth the 20 yards I might possibly get. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There's not a scratch on my new driver, and I want to keep it that way. I have a 3W for anything off the deck, and it's not worth the 20 yards I might possibly get. :-)

Go get yourself a Steelhead III lefty Driver with about 11° and try it out, then you won't scratch your new driver.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I could use my old ping g15, and i think I did hit it off the deck. It's also hit a ceramic tee marker 20 plus yards. . .:-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have only tried hitting a driver one time off the deck in my life, the first time I ever played. My friends gave me some clubs and took me to play my first big course. It was like throwing a baby into the deep end of a pool. No one told me that hitting a driver was not such a great idea. I hit that 9 degree about 20 yards all the way down some holes. Haha shot an 80. Just played there with the same guys 30 years later and had a 43. Didn't pull out the driver once for any fairway shots this time.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I actually practice the driver off the deck pretty regularly.  I don't hit a lot of shots, but I feel like its great reinforcement for the "steady head" concept.  It can also get in the head of an opponent who watches me do it successfully.  I almost never use it on the course, however, the margin for error is just too fine.  The times I do use it are typically shots into a pretty good wind, with no carry required.  The bad result, a roller that goes 150 yards or more, isn't all that much worse than a well-hit 3-wood that balloons up and dies.  The thing is, if you don't practice it occasionally, its probably NEVER a good choice.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I love old threads ... I sometimes hit my 3w farther off the deck, than my driver off the tee ... I don't think "driver off the deck" is an option for an "i suk" golfer (aka High handicap) ... just too many things have to be right for shot to work ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Recently, I hit a driver off the deck (hard to call it at a deck - read on).   The occasion called for it.  My drive fell into a v-shaped ditch.  The ball ended up in a middle of the v-shape, perched on top of a medium long grass.  It was perfectly teed up for a drive.   I had 200+ yards to go on a long par 4.   The ball was below my feet by a foot and a half.   I took the driver (gasp from my partners), had a few practice swings, and hit a 3/4 shot.   It was a perfect line drive that went about 170 yards to the middle of FW.    To me, the driver was the only option.  The ball was floating up in the air, and hitting it with any other club would have risked clubhead going underneath the ball.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I probably use this shot 5 or 6 times a year. I actually practice using my driver off the deck just in case. I don't like surprises while on the course.

For me I have to have a lot of room ahead of me, somewhat free of hazards. I have to have a decent fairway lie to hit from. A little down hill run is a plus too. It's a shot I will use when I absolutely need some extra distance that my 3W can't supply. When something important is at stake, and the risk/reward makes it worth it. It's a low percentage shot for me. Of course there have been times when nothing was at stake, and I just felt like trying it.

My set up is align myself right of my intended target, because I will hit a fade just about every time. I play the ball back near where my 3W ball would be. I might choke down a little. After that, it's a nice easy swing. Hopefully I won't hit a fattie which is my normal bad outcome for this shot.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

460cc drivers are too big for me. I'd have to have a nice natural tee to try this... a low stinger.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Since most amateurs struggle with driver off a tee I'm going with never. I am not a hero shot type of guy. I didn't even use a driver this year until about a month ago. I did use a 43" 12.5 degree 280cc club that I hit off the deck with sometimes decent results. That was worth it because even the bad shots typically flew straight and even if they were ground balls a very poor strike would travel in the 175 yard range and it was only something I did after a very good tee shot on a par 5 so the two together put me in a good spot.

Dave :-)

Lot of humor years ago in this thread...

I used to do this occasionally with my old TM fire-sole driver.   It wasn't a large club head and I could aim left and let it fade toward the target.   Was a good shot for when there wasn't trouble in front of the green, and especially when the ground was firm because you could get a lot of roll.   If I hit the middle of the ball it's still going to roll a lot.   I did manage to get it airborne sometimes and it flew pretty good.    I haven't tried with larger club heads, although I think it's a useful shot to have for when you have to hit it low, or hitting an extreme wind cheater is desirable.   I think it would be harder to try and hit a low 3W or long iron deliberately really low, but with the driver that seems like how it would go.

—Adam

Since most amateurs struggle with driver off a tee I'm going with never. I am not a hero shot type of guy. I didn't even use a driver this year until about a month ago. I did use a 43" 12.5 degree 280cc club that I hit off the deck with sometimes decent results. That was worth it because even the bad shots typically flew straight and even if they were ground balls a very poor strike would travel in the 175 yard range and it was only something I did after a very good tee shot on a par 5 so the two together put me in a good spot.

As @DaveP043 nly practices with it. If you have the power and precision to hit a driver off the deck, you can probably hit your 3W something like 280 yards. Most courses do not have 600 yard par 5 that we need to get on in 2 shots.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

As @DaveP043 mentioned, he only practices with it. If you have the power and precision to hit a driver off the deck, you can probably hit your 3W something like 280 yards. Most courses do not have 600 yard par 5 that we need to get on in 2 shots.

I occasionally have the precision to hit my driver off the ground, but I'm not a long hitter by any measurement, my solid drives (off a tee) carry around 240.  I do believe that practicing the shot helps remind me to stay steady through my swing, and that's a huge part of hitting solid shots with any club in the bag.  The other benefit of practicing the shot is that, on the rare occasion where the wind and course conditions are right, I can hit the shot on the course with some degree of confidence.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

As @DaveP043 mentioned, he only practices with it. If you have the power and precision to hit a driver off the deck, you can probably hit your 3W something like 280 yards. Most courses do not have 600 yard par 5 that we need to get on in 2 shots.

I occasionally have the precision to hit my driver off the ground, but I'm not a long hitter by any measurement, my solid drives (off a tee) carry around 240.  I do believe that practicing the shot helps remind me to stay steady through my swing, and that's a huge part of hitting solid shots with any club in the bag.  The other benefit of practicing the shot is that, on the rare occasion where the wind and course conditions are right, I can hit the shot on the course with some degree of confidence.

I kind of choked on the comment thinking about this one 80 year old golfer with a single rusty spot on all his irons and one tiny spot on all his clubs. He probably has the precision to hit a driver off the deck except it's an expensive Honma driver, which I don't think he'll want to touch even grass much less dirt. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

im not long off tee either and I generally hit driver off the deck once or twice a round.The only way it can hurt me is if I top it but you still get roll.Secret is to hit down on it somewhat.My R9 I can hit pretty much 220 99% of time off deck even with a lil draw.The R9 has a smaller head than others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP043

im not long off tee either and I generally hit driver off the deck once or twice a round.The only way it can hurt me is if I top it but you still get roll.Secret is to hit down on it somewhat.My R9 I can hit pretty much 220 99% of time off deck even with a lil draw.The R9 has a smaller head than others.

The reason I was thinking someone who can hit 280 yards with a 3W is because I don't see how you can hit the center-top of the face? I suppose it makes sense to hit a low flying roller type shot from off the deck . . .it's really not worth it to me at this point.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The reason I was thinking someone who can hit 280 yards with a 3W is because I don't see how you can hit the center-top of the face? I suppose it makes sense to hit a low flying roller type shot from off the deck. . .it's really not worth it to me at this point.

That's right, I'm obviously striking the ball right near the bottom of the clubface.  The shot will come off pretty low, with a chance to roll pretty well.  Its primarily a shot I'll try into the wind, where the higher launch and increased spin of a 3-wood can make it float higher and lose a lot of distance.  Even then, the selection depends on the lack of hazards or bunkers in or near the fairway,   If things are pretty tight, and especially if there's a hazard that has to be carried, it may be a better choice to accept the loss of distance, hit something that leaves me in play for certain, and plan to hit a longer club into the green.

Dave

Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!