IGNORED

Does bounce matter?

Note: This thread is 4609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When chipping or pitching in the rough, fairway or fringe, does bounce matter?

I have a Ping Tour 58-08 that I used to use for all chips and it was wonderful. The problem was that on full swings I hit it almost as far as my 54-15. So I replaced it with a Vokey 60-04. Well now my distance gaps are much better but my short game sucks. I can't chip worth anything with the Vokey, pitch, chip, flop, whatever. I don't seem to have the same touch. If anything I would say the feel is very harsh. I don't know if it's the bounce, shaft, head or loft.

I tend to hit alot of flop shots so I'm inclined to think I need more bounce. Should I just have my Ping bent to 60 since I chip so well with it? Perhaps it's a good excuse to pick up the new Eye2 LW 60-13.

I know that many of you all have Vokeys. Does anyone else find them harsh and lacking in feel or touch?

Thanks.

David

Bounce is the angle between the club's ground line and leading edge when the club is perpendicular to the ground.

The higher the bounce, the less likely the club is to dig into the ground on shots.

Certain conditions favor lesser bounce: tight lies, hard ground, hard sand. (in these conditions, excess bounce can lead to the clubhead ricocheting off the ground, or sand, and the player skulling the shot)

Certain conditions favor more bounce: plush fairways, heavy rough, soft sand.

Besides playing conditions, there's your swing. A person who hits down on iron shots and takes big divots (a digger) would likely want more bounce, a person with a shallower angle of attack (a sweeper) lesser bounce.

If you get a wedge fitting, one of the things charted is where to wedge "bottoms out" on the impact board, an indication of how much bounce you would want.

After all these calculations, club designers such as Ralph Maltby recommend that you have at least one wedge that tracks against your normal preferences so you have flexibility for shot selection. (Like, if you're a digger, have at least one low-bounce wedge just in case you face a decidedly "low bounce" shot)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dmnoland

When chipping or pitching in the rough, fairway or fringe, does bounce matter?

I have a Ping Tour 58-08 that I used to use for all chips and it was wonderful. The problem was that on full swings I hit it almost as far as my 54-15. So I replaced it with a Vokey 60-04. Well now my distance gaps are much better but my short game sucks. I can't chip worth anything with the Vokey, pitch, chip, flop, whatever. I don't seem to have the same touch. If anything I would say the feel is very harsh.

I don't know if it's the bounce, shaft, head or loft. I tend to hit alot of flop shots so I'm inclined to think I need more bounce.

Should I just have my Ping bent to 60 since I chip so well with it? Perhaps it's a good excuse to pick up the new Eye2 LW 60-13.

I know that many of you all have Vokeys. Does anyone else find them harsh and lacking in feel or touch?

There will always be some people telling you that since the vokeys aren't forged, they will feel harsh, lacking feel or touch ...... but in partial shots ....... not even the most sensitive tour player will be able to tell the difference ..... it might just be the shafts (Wedge Flex equals about DG S-200) are stiffer than you are used to.

Stan Utley demonstrates hitting of conctrete with a 10 degree bounce 58 wedge, so even of hardpan there is not really a need for a 4 degree bounce wedge.

Bob Vokey gave a workshop for dealers overhere and one of my friends went there and asked a question on those 4 degree bounce wedges, the answer was that the average golfer should stick to "normal" allround 8-11 degree bounces........

Personally I prefer the more straight leading edge design of the Vokeys, but if you are planning the hit a variety of different shots a more rounded leading edge might be more versatile.

Same as Mizuno and many others make rounded and teardrop model wedges.....

In your case I would say it is the 4 degree bounce !

Bending the 58-08 to 60, makes it a 60-10 and I do not really understand the 13 degree bounce on the new Ping Eye 2 LW which would make it suited for softsand and fluffy lies, but less allround.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Bounce definetly matters.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Thanks guys, I'm going to get the Ping bent and sell the Vokey.

I too thought that the new Eye2 lob wedge had an extreme amount of bounce. Perhaps I'll just call Ping and ask them why.

David

I used to play Mizuno forged wedges, but now play Vokeys.  Mizuno felt much softer, had more bounce, but I didn't really like how they played, I didn't "feel" the bounce.

Now my 58/08 Vokey is almost my favorite club.  It's like a Swiss knife really, high chips that stop fairly quickly, low chips that run out, pitches, bunkering, it does it al, has a wonderfull bounce that allows me to play and feel all my shots.  I don't play flop shots though.  AND, the Vokey does feel substantially harder than the Mizuno wedge.  But I would never ever trade it in again for my old Mizuno !

go get fitted for wedges from a PGA professional and they will be able to help you choose the right wedge setup to see what suits both your full swing wedges and short shots

Note: This thread is 4609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!