IGNORED

Spring Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 6222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
You know, I sat around thinking I might not even go today. I've almost become apathetic about playing golf. I thought "I don't want my first round to be in bad conditions... that'd be a mess."

I'm so glad I changed my mind. It was a little soggy, but I'm surprised at how well my course had held up from the massive snow melt. Balls didn't plug and I had reasonably firm footing walking all over. The sight of a golf ball again frozen against a solid blue sky and dead online was worth the trouble, as it almost always is.

Anyway, I played reasonably well. I skipped around, played a few holes, hit extra balls when I wanted, etc. I had a few birdie putts and made one, which isn't bad since nearly half the ten holes I played didn't yet have cups cut in the greens.

It occurs to me that a lot people play really, really well in the spring, then almost just "hang out" at the same scores throughout the rest of the year despite practicing, etc. I thought it'd be nifty to list the many, many reasons why this is possible.

No Rough
Or at least, rough that isn't nearly as bad - it's not yet grown in, it's dormant, it's thinned from winter.

Fluffy Fairways and Greens
The ball sits up on the fairways, making it a lot easier to get clean contact. On the green, the fact that you have to hit the ball really hard makes two-putting a snap. There's no fear of blowing it eight feet past the hole, and putts don't even break as much as they do in the summer. Play most of them pretty straight.

No Cares
You're not out to shoot a score or to beat anyone or win a bet - you're just happy to be out. As such, you play more loosely, more freely, and don't let a bad shot get you down. A bad shot beats sitting inside staring at snow!

No Bounces
The soft conditions let you fly everything at the pin, and soft, fluffy fairways stop balls before they can bounce into the rough or other trouble.

No Burden of Practice
You don't have any swing thoughts, you've not developed any problems, and you start with what amounts to a clean slate. Ball, hole, swing. If anything, your swing thought is "wow, it's even warmer than I thought it would be!"

No Leaves
It sure is easier to play through trees when there are no leaves blocking both your sight lines and the golf ball itself.

What can you add to the list?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your reasons are exactly correct. The mental aspect is probably the most important one.

1) I would add that the body is still not swinging for the fences yet, so hence the scores are probably better.

2) The rounds also seem to move better timewise when the "regulars" or "faithful" are the only ones on the course. Once the Bar B Que players come out, the course slows down to a halt. I personally play better golf when the round is moving and hitting.

Well I have a tee time for Wednesday so I'll let you know...

I do agree with your sentiments though.

It's been raining on and off the past week here in the Kansas City area and the temps have been in the 60's and 70's so everything is starting to green up nicely. I noticed today all the dogwood trees in my neighborhood are in full bloom and most of the other trees have started as well.

I'm looking forward to it as it seems my first real round of the year is almost always better than I expected.

And besides that, "The worst day of golf beats the best day of work"

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

...And besides that, "The worst day of golf beats the best day of work"

What else can you say?

Handicap system is still shut down, so there's no pressure at all. The rest of my group and I pretty much had the course to ourselves. And even though it was a bit nippy, the sun was shining, and the beer was cold when we were done. All in all, a terrific day!

How about people in year round places do you ever take time off a winter break so to speak? I can say that I take a couple of weeks here and there but no extended break like a month or two like some people are forced to do.

never really play at my best during the winter spring time, i use this time to practise as i feel like i play better with a bit of pressure knowing if i play bad my handicap will go up, even if i am not playing for a win, i feel more competative and play better in summer time,

r7 quad ht
r7 ti 5 wood
duel stiff rescue
ht irons
49 deg 56 deg anser putter pro v1 ball

lovin it. it was high 50's here which is still cool to most.

Id say distances closer to normal again.

just having the sun out again puts you in good spirits

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Our greens are still bumpy so we really don't get upset when the ball bounces off line.
No pressure now trying that new swing change on the course.
Just being on the course with the friends you haven't seen all winter because they went south.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Our courses are greening up and the natives are restless. I've practiced on the range and played a couple of nine hole rounds and a couple of eighteen hole rounds. The temperature rose into the eighties, uncharacteristically, last week. Still, the rough is low and the greens are slow and the only excuse I have for shooting high scores is a winter swing that has no spring. But, I'm beginning to loosen up, and when I do, my high handicap better look out because it's heading south!

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I think the spring weather is hurting my score--every shot I make, even with a low-loft club like a driver, gets plugged in the soft grass, and I lose 30-50 yards of roll on every shot. My drives go 250 if I'm lucky, and if I'm not lucky, I'll be hitting a fried egg on my next shot.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

never really play at my best during the winter spring time, i use this time to practise as i feel like i play better with a bit of pressure knowing if i play bad my handicap will go up, even if i am not playing for a win, i feel more competative and play better in summer time,

Agree completly, I need a bit of pressure to focus me. Also the greens on my parkland course are not yet up to speed, still a bit of top dressing on them.

I have been out 3 times this last week and hacked it round big time. On the plus side I have spent my time laughing my ass of with the rest of the fourball as we proceeded to half every hole on the front 9 in bogey plus!!
I asured them that the laughter will stop as soon as the greens get cut

Our courses are greening up and the natives are restless. I've practiced on the range and played a couple of nine hole rounds and a couple of eighteen hole rounds. The temperature rose into the eighties, uncharacteristically, last week. Still, the rough is low and the greens are slow and the only excuse I have for shooting high scores is a winter swing that has no spring. But, I'm beginning to loosen up, and when I do, my high handicap better look out because it's heading south!

like your style, heading south, but gutted my self had mine docked 2 shots already this year... got a feeling its going to be a good one,

tom

r7 quad ht
r7 ti 5 wood
duel stiff rescue
ht irons
49 deg 56 deg anser putter pro v1 ball

like your style, heading south, but gutted my self had mine docked 2 shots already this year... got a feeling its going to be a good one,

Yes, but if I head too far south, then I'll be "... in the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe." I think.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

• Administrator
Your reasons are exactly correct. The mental aspect is probably the most important one.

See, you don't always disagree.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Humbug. It was golf weather here for 1 week. Now it's 20 degrees and a foot of snow.

It even dropped to 32 degrees last night way down here! @#*% it !!!

shortgame85
In the Bag:

I can say that I take a couple of weeks here and there but no extended break like a month or two like some people are forced to do.

A month or Two? Try close to 5 months this year. I played my last round in late October. Due to weather, schedule and the fact that it's dark by 6:00 most nights, I played for the first time in late March. That is actually early arround here. If I sound bitter, it's because I am.

Not with all of you who are smart enough to live where it's warm. More with myself for not leaving Michigan before having kids, a career and a mortage. Oh yeah...the actual point of the thread. I think for me it's just that I am happy to be out there and the bad shots are more tollerable because it's just expected. I shot a 44 that could have easily been a 39 if the greens were in better shape and my touch was better. Still, I was happy because I hit the ball reasonably well and I was playing golf.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I played at my course Saturday through Tuesday and the winds were just incredible. Very few trees and lots of water are a waiting disaster when you are starting the season. I couldn't even make it up on the greens. They were bumpy and slow. I'm just glad to play again.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Note: This thread is 6222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!