IGNORED

Low Carb Diet

Yukari
Note: This thread is 3080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How old and how tall are  you. Stretch? What is your ordinary exercise pattern? If you are a 200 cm, 20 year old living the sportsman's life and burning calories like crazy, your diet sounds, generally, good. But if you are a 48 year old, long term computer jock, driving to and from work each day, and hitting the links in the buggy on Saturdays, then maybe less good.

And of course i, nor anyone, need judge your decisions.  Each person has an unique biology, life history and future story.  But i frankly doubt many nutritionists or knowledgeable medical docs would desire that your personal dietary choices should be taken up by the masses. No information i can find today suggests that bacon is a healthy choice, except for a once a month treat.

I know everyone wants to do what they want to do without guilt or compromise.  Smokers and alcohol drinkers are notorious examples of this. Experience is best teacher but often the price is very high.

And Mike, i only said, or meant to say, that eating excessive saturated animal fats was detrimental. I am not selling the vegetarian or vegan diet but if you would ask Pres. Bill Clinton how's his health and the contribution his vegan diet made, that would be something to think about.  And he's not the 'village idiot'. (ref to Pres 'W'.)

How old and how tall are  you. Stretch? What is your ordinary exercise pattern? If you are a 200 cm, 20 year old living the sportsman's life and burning calories like crazy, your diet sounds, generally, good. But if you are a 48 year old, long term computer jock, driving to and from work each day, and hitting the links in the buggy on Saturdays, then maybe less good.  And of course i, nor anyone, need judge your decisions.  Each person has an unique biology, life history and future story.  But i frankly doubt many nutritionists or knowledgeable medical docs would desire that your personal dietary choices should be taken up by the masses. No information i can find today suggests that bacon is a healthy choice, except for a once a month treat.   I know everyone wants to do what they want to do without guilt or compromise.  Smokers and alcohol drinkers are notorious examples of this. Experience is best teacher but often the price is very high.  And Mike, i only said, or meant to say, that eating excessive saturated animal fats was detrimental. I am not selling the vegetarian or vegan diet but if you would ask Pres. Bill Clinton how's his health and the contribution his vegan diet made, that would be something to think about.  And he's not the 'village idiot'. (ref to Pres 'W'.)

Yet Bill Clinton eats fish?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

How old and how tall are  you. Stretch? What is your ordinary exercise pattern? If you are a 200 cm, 20 year old living the sportsman's life and burning calories like crazy, your diet sounds, generally, good. But if you are a 48 year old, long term computer jock, driving to and from work each day, and hitting the links in the buggy on Saturdays, then maybe less good.

And yet he's lost 40+ pounds and looks great. So… perhaps your information is outdated, slightly wrong, etc.?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And Mike, i only said, or meant to say, that eating excessive saturated animal fats was detrimental. I am not selling the vegetarian or vegan diet but if you would ask Pres. Bill Clinton how's his health and the contribution his vegan diet made, that would be something to think about.  And he's not the 'village idiot'. (ref to Pres 'W'.)

I agree excess is bad because it probably means you're taking in more calories than you use, which obviously leads to weight gain and if it happens often enough, leads to obesity. Having said that, it's tough to get "fat" from a moderate fat/moderate protein/low carb diet. You can eat a good amount of food and feel satiated. Carbs typically don't fill you up and they can be calorically dense.

Here's basically what I do.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

But even that ratio doesn't really "matter" because whether your TG:HDL is good or bad the solution is the same, eat about .3-.45 grams (minimum) per pound of body weight (easier to calculate than figuring out lean body mass). This will reduce your triglycerides and small, dense LDL, and increase your HDL.

Hey Mike. Think you accidentally ... a word there and I'm curious about what it was.

Joe, I'm not trying to jump down your throat.

;-)

But learning this stuff was life-changing for me -- turning around 20 years of slow, steady weight gain and physical degeneration -- so like any convert I love to preach! I'm 45, 6'7" and have gone from 250 lbs at my heaviest to 210 lbs today. Change was 90% through diet and I'm just now starting a serious exercise program, with an eye on getting back some lost strength and lean mass.

Anyway, no arguments I can make here will cover the issues a tenth as well as reading the book I suggested a few pages back, so I'll just suggest it again.

"The Big Fat Surprise" -- Nina Teicholtz.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Hey Mike. Think you accidentally ... a word there and I'm curious about what it was.

Yes meant to say .3-.45 grams of fat per pound of body weight.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Of course Stretch is feeling great and looking good.  He quit eating PIZZA.

Keep up the good work, Stretch.  You are halfway thru life.

Someday i'll get me a video cam and post my workout on U tube.

As far as Bill Clinton eating fish, I never knew.  I did read that he consults with D. Ornish , MD, for diet.

Mike, i did some arithmetic and if i weigh  200lbs and can take 0.4 gms fat per pound then each day i can take 80 gms of fat.  And i just ate a snack food which contained 6 gms of fat per ounce.  Unfortunately, i ate the entire bag and that was 184 gms. So that's 6 gms fat per 28 gms of snack   And the whole bag contained 40 gms of fat.  Yea, i can eat another bag. But almost all the fat was 'good' fat, ie, unsaturated sunflower or canola oil so no guilt.  Certainly one my life faults: see it, eat it.

Of course Stretch is feeling great and looking good.  He quit eating PIZZA.

Keep up the good work, Stretch.  You are halfway thru life.

Someday i'll get me a video cam and post my workout on U tube.

As far as Bill Clinton eating fish, I never knew.  I did read that he consults with D. Ornish , MD, for diet.

Mike, i did some arithmetic and if i weigh  200lbs and can take 0.4 gms fat per pound then each day i can take 80 gms of fat.  And i just ate a snack food which contained 6 gms of fat per ounce.  Unfortunately, i ate the entire bag and that was 184 gms. So that's 6 gms fat per 28 gms of snack   And the whole bag contained 40 gms of fat.  Yea, i can eat another bag. But almost all the fat was 'good' fat, ie, unsaturated sunflower or canola oil so no guilt.  Certainly one my life faults: see it, eat it.

Yea it was in an article saying he still eats fish from time to time. The main issue with Vegan diets is not enough protein. ESPECIALLY if someone works out. This one pastor I know was big into weight lifting. He put himself in a hospital because he kept working out and went to a vegan diet. The doctors told him he needed protein.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 7 months later...
Interesting turn of direction regarding fat/cholesterol. I guess many of us have believed this for quite some time already. http://news.yahoo.com/eat-fat-lose-weight-041634455.html

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 9 months later...
Note: This thread is 3080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!