IGNORED

Struggling with Hybrids

Note:Β This thread is 4637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

First post.Β  Just got back into golf last season after about 10 years off.Β  Anyway, I am struggling with hybrids.Β  I had a 3 and 4 hybrid (Adams A4OS), but have gone back to my 4 Iron, and rarely hit the 3H.Β  Also tried a Callaway FT 3H with no more success.

I've tried hitting them like irons, and like woods.Β  I fade most of the time with woods and hybrids are the same.Β  I can hit my irons pretty straight, even long irons.Β  I struggle with a fade off the tee and with woods, and the hybrids are same for me.

I guess I'm just frustrated how everyone says how easy these clubs are to hit, and even draw.Β  I'm not experiencing that.

Driver:Β  :callaway:Β Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood: Β  :adams:Β Speedline 3W
Hybrid:Β Β Β adams.gifΒ A7OS 3 HybridΒ 
Irons:Β  Β :callaway:Β  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I've had similar experience with hybrids.Β  I've tried a bunch and can't hit them as consistently like I do my irons.Β  I find I try to swing harder with them so I've been practicing with them using a very effortless swing and have been seeing better results.Β  As soon as I try to really "hit" them I shank them.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a 3 and 4 hybrid DX3's from Nickent and can't hit them to save my life.Β  Go figure.Β  When I do connect with them it is low and right.Β  thanks

I've posted this on here before, so forgive me for sounding like a broken record. I think the best thing you can do with a hybrid is put a steel iron shaft in it and cut it down to a 3-iron length.

titleistprov1x |●|Β nikeneoΒ |●|Β callawayx-forgedΒ 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3HΒ |●|Β mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●|Β mizunoMP630FT

Hybrids have been described as "easy to hit" when I think the reality is that they are "easier to hit" than conventional long irons for the majority of mid and higher handicappers. You still have to make a decent swing to get a decent result and typically your bad swings turn out a bit better than with a long iron. Having said that, lots of people I've played with still hit their long irons and have more confidence in them than a hybrid - if that's the case, why not stick with what works for you rather than what is supposed to work. Matter of personal preference.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* :Β Fairway - Ping G30 18* :Β Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* &Β 915 H 24* :Β Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 ForgedΒ 5Β - GW :Β Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 :Β Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio SelectΒ Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-RΒ  :Β Ball - Bridgestone B330RX,Β Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I have had trouble hitting hybrids at the range and on the course since I started playingΒ so I replaced them with my 3i & 4i.Β  IΒ probably don't hit my 3i & 4i as far as the equivilent hybrid but at least theyΒ went straight.

Today at the range I was determined to figure out what the mental block was with hybrids and fairway woods off the deck.Β  After scattergunning about 60 balls I realized I was lifting up on impact trying to sweep the ball more than strike it.Β  I forced myself to stay down on contact as I do with my irons and suddenly the balls were rocketing out there and most were straightΒ a fewΒ hadΒ a slight draw.Β  I guess subconsciously I was afraid to strike the hybrid like an iron in fear of damaging it and that was causing havoc with my accuracy.

Joe Paradiso

I love my hybrids I carry a 3, 4 and 5h and I just love the utility of them. I use them for so many things usually very effectively. Β I would not however call them easier to hit persay.

I would call them easier to hit far. You can not quite center a hybrid and still get 80% of the distance of a good strike. Hybird's also stay greens more effectively for most people.

They are however similar to a wood and in that way very easy to hook or slice.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver,Β ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter
Β 
Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by The Gill

I've posted this on here before, so forgive me for sounding like a broken record. I think the best thing you can do with a hybrid is put a steel iron shaft in it and cut it down to a 3-iron length.

I read somewhere that Harrington had this done, taking pains to make a hybrid just like an iron, but with the clubhead.Β  It enables you to swing like an iron, but utilize the lower COG and mass of the larger head.

I have a stock nike slingshot, and a major tendency to hook my 20 degree hybrid.Β  Problem was I just threw it in the bag and found it easy to hit.Β  After the honeymoon, I realized it was going too frequently left, unless I really paid attention to it.Β  It has a 40" graphite rather than my steel irons, and the clubhead is heavier than my fairway wood.Β  This one lone club really has its' own rhythm, and I don't find myself needing a 205 club very often, so I don't hit it and when I do it feels off.

Those who carry two or three hybrids have a better chance to find their swing with them.Β  I think if you just carry one, making it like an iron is the most sensible approach.Β  I prefer the accuracy of my 3-iron at present, so it is out for me.

Maybe the length difference would matter, but if you have the right shaft for your swing speed on the hybrid steel or graphite shouldn't matter.Β Β  I've never seen someone break a hybrid shaft from normal play.

Originally Posted by The Gill

Joe Paradiso

they aren't fairway woods and shouldn't be used in the same way.Β  Most people I see struggling with hybrids play them too far forward in their stance and try to sweep the ball instead of making an iron swing.

The shafts are only about an inch longer than most clubs of equivalent loft so its not a big deal..just move your hands down another inch on the grip.Β  On top of that, you don't have to swing "hard" to get them to work..a nice smooth swing will produce a great result.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

Hybrids have been described as "easy to hit" when I think the reality is that they are "easier to hit" than conventional long irons for the majority of mid and higher handicappers. You still have to make a decent swing to get a decent result and typically your bad swings turn out a bit better than with a long iron. Having said that, lots of people I've played with still hit their long irons and have more confidence in them than a hybrid - if that's the case, why not stick with what works for you rather than what is supposed to work. Matter of personal preference.

Very good point, and I have no problem sticking with my long irons.Β  Part of my problem now is my distacne gap between clubs.Β  My highest iron is a 4, and the only club I have between a 4I and 3W, is my 3H.Β  I want to like the hybrid and not get a 3I or 5W...

I actually hit a couple decent shots with my 3H yesterday.Β  tried to slow down and hit more down on the ball and had much better results.

Driver:Β  :callaway:Β Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood: Β  :adams:Β Speedline 3W
Hybrid:Β Β Β adams.gifΒ A7OS 3 HybridΒ 
Irons:Β  Β :callaway:Β  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I bought a used Ping G10 18 degree hybrid, trying to fill a gap between my 4 wood and my 3 iron.Β  I've only been to the range once with it and it was awful.Β  I tried everything.Β  Hitting it hard, hitting it soft, swinging like an iron, sweeping it more like a wood, hitting off a tee, you name it.Β  I couldn't get the thing to go much more than 160yds and it was an ugly ball flight.Β  Lower trajectory than my 4 wood and would just die like a wounded duck. Β  I never got it to go as far as my 3-iron.Β  I'm going to try at it another time at least, but seeing other people struggling with them makes me feel a little better.

G15 Driver 10.5Β° * G10 Draw 4-Wood * G10 Hybrid 18Β° * i3+ 3-SW Irons

Tour Action 60Β° LW

SLOTLINE J-Stroke Putter

Β 

I don't get what you are all talking about. I have old Cobra hybrids with great Accra shafts (result of a HoxStix fitting years ago). They are super easy to hit high and straighter than long irons for me. I can shape shots better than with any other clubs -- fade, draw, high, low... I can never hit a fade on demand except with my hybrids. I rarely use them from bad rough even though they are supposed to be good for that. I never hit them out of a fairway bunker. I never use them around the green even though they are supposed to be good for that. But in the fairway or off the tee, I'm just as happy when I have a hybrid into a green as I am if I have a 5-iron. Sure, I need to put a good swing on the to hit them well. I play the ball in the same position as an iron and not like a 3-wood. I love my hybrids so much that even as I've upgraded every club in my bag, I am keeping my trusty old hybrids. The only real issue I have is that they go high -- even "lower" is pretty high. In the spring 30 mph winds, it would be nice to be able to keep them lower.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at -Β http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/Β Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23*Β hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

MizunoΒ MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/MizunoΒ MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-EvolutionΒ grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs:Β Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GWΒ with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I don't get what you are all talking about. I have old Cobra hybrids with great Accra shafts (result of a HoxStix fitting years ago). They are super easy to hit high and straighter than long irons for me. I can shape shots better than with any other clubs -- fade, draw, high, low... I can never hit a fade on demand except with my hybrids. I rarely use them from bad rough even though they are supposed to be good for that. I never hit them out of a fairway bunker. I never use them around the green even though they are supposed to be good for that. But in the fairway or off the tee, I'm just as happy when I have a hybrid into a green as I am if I have a 5-iron. Sure, I need to put a good swing on the to hit them well. I play the ball in the same position as an iron and not like a 3-wood. I love my hybrids so much that even as I've upgraded every club in my bag, I am keeping my trusty old hybrids. The only real issue I have is that they go high -- even "lower" is pretty high. In the spring 30 mph winds, it would be nice to be able to keep them lower.

so which one is true? you can hit it on cue or you can't hit it low?

to the op, easier swing gets the job done with the hybrids...i've found the same reaction/effect as others have mentioned that if i really try to get on it, things go wrong. I will say, they aren't easier to work than my irons but, they certainly hit longer than my irons, esp out of rough...and to me, straighter and longer out of the rough is good. best thing to do is take your hybrids to a grass range and just smack a bunch of balls trying different ball placements, stances, etc. till you find what works for you.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

CobraΒ Bio+ 9*Β Matrix White Tie XΒ Β -Β Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTASΒ 80XΒ - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100Β - Vokey SM4 55 /Β Vokey SM5 60*Β DG TIΒ S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I felt the same about hybrids and had been out of golf a long time as well.Β  All I can say is practice, practice, practice.Β  I have Nickent 4DX hybrids and love the ball flight and length.Β  I was really frustrated when I hit them the first few times but now I can't live without them.Β  Solid, long, and straight.

I think there's a couple issues with people swinging hybrids. Since it is a club built quite like a wood but is supposed to swung like an iron, when I was starting with hybrids (I only carry a 3h right now), I always set up like an iron, but swung it like a fairway wood. This either resulted in a swing that was far too fast since the shaft is lighter (graphite) or one that took an incorrect path.

I work hard on switching between my 4 iron and my 3 hybrid on the range and swinging them exactly the same and roughly at the same pace and length.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade:Β R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone:Β B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

so which one is true? you can hit it on cue or you can't hit it low?

I can shape my hybrids right, left, up and down, BETTER than any other club in my bag. Perhaps that is not saying too much. As for height, they go high. Often very high. I can hit them lower than really high (perhaps not always "on cue") but they are still higher than a low hit 4-iron.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at -Β http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/Β Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23*Β hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

MizunoΒ MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/MizunoΒ MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-EvolutionΒ grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs:Β Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GWΒ with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note:Β This thread is 4637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!