IGNORED

Where should I be after 5 months?

Crazysimon
Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Picked up the game 5 months ago, play about 4 times a month. Never taken a lesson(looking for a teacher now), and was just wondering where I should be in turns of scoring. I hover around 105, and recently shot my lowest score (95). Is this a decent score for the length of been playing? Anyone in a similar spot as me?

I'm in a similar spot.  I've been playing for 8-9 weeks now (I'm 27 and have been in sports my whole life, am very analytical...so decided to try golf out) and am hovering around 100.  My last two rounds were both 96 at the same course.  I'm obviously not in a position to give advice, but I'll offer for you what's been helping me.

A.  From the gate, I have been playing with people who I think are pretty damn good.  One friend is scoring 80-88 consistently (and a 74 a few weeks ago.)  Another guy has been playing for 50 years, and shoots about 84 most of the time.  Point is, I'm trying NOT to play with new players as much as possible.  I figured it would help me "play up."

B.  I'm hitting range balls at least twice a week, and playing probably 3-4 times a week.  When I practice, I start by chipping, and then putting(this part is pretty boring, I'll hit like 20 minutes of 3 footers, etc.), and then get to the range (where I start with my DW, PW, then 9-4, hyb, driver.)

C.  I score myself PRECISELY by the book.  If I "re-hit" a ball, I don't play it (I still play my original, but hit another just to get it right...then I wind up picking it up.)  I figure I could shoot an 85 if I took several mulligans, but I don't ever get better if I don't have a consistent scoring mechanism to compare myself to.  I wouldn't mention this part, because it seems pretty basic, but I've noticed that the people I golf with normally don't score correctly.

D.  Focus on being money with irons.  Know your 8i is your go to for 150, etc...

Like I said, I know I'm not yet qualified to give advice, but these are the things I've been focusing on that have helped me a lot.

That's good advice. I was doing the same the first while I started golfing (using a second ball here or there, improving a lie in the rough) but the only person it hurts is yourself. Doing it by the book helps you to fully understand where your at now.

My Home Course: http://chilliwackgolf.com/

In my Taylormade Bag:

The Big Stick: Calloway FT-I / Mini Big Stick: Calloway FT

2HY - Nickent 4DX IW

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade Burner 09

52' - Cleveland CG 15

56' Cleveland CG 12

60- Wilson Unknown.

Money Maker - Odessy White Hot Tour #5

Originally Posted by bobleeswagger

I've been playing for 8-9 weeks now... and am hovering around 100.  My last two rounds were both 96 at the same course.

Both you and the OP are doing great.

C.  I score myself PRECISELY by the book.  If I "re-hit" a ball, I don't play it (I still play my original, but hit another just to get it right...then I wind up picking it up.)

Technically, that's not by the book:

Originally Posted by USGA Rules of Golf

7-2. Practice During Round

A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole. Between the play of two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

(a) the putting green of the hole last played,

(b) any practice putting green, or

(c) the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,

I think the rationale behind this rule is that practice strokes while playing, even though you don't count them, can help with your shots that you *are* counting, thus unfairly improving your score. (Sorry to be anal enough to point this out, but figured you might want to know.)

Bill

That's a great place to be after 5 months.  You are also on the right track looking for an instructor now as if you don't get some lessons there is a good chance this is where you will stay for a long, long time.  Good luck.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take everything out of your bag higher than a 6 iron. Play every round with half swings... You will not do this, but if you did I think it would pay off dividends. The biggest problem I see with high handicappers is that the higher the club the faster the swing...

Both you and the OP are doing great.

Technically, that's not by the book:

I think the rationale behind this rule is that practice strokes while playing, even though you don't count them, can help with your shots that you *are* counting, thus unfairly improving your score. (Sorry to be anal enough to point this out, but figured you might want to know.)

Good to know! Going forward, I'll discontinue the practice shots, staying in line with the consistent scorekeeping rationale. When I said "precisely" I should have said " I count penalty strokes and don't play mulligans."

You could take this practice shot and then just declare that you are playing a "Provisional" and then just pick up your provisional.  That would be totally legal.

As for taking clubs out of your bag..I don't think that is wise.  Learn to play with all your clubs and you'll be fine.  Breaking 100 your first year is pretty good.  Took me a year and a half to break 100 and now I'm consistently in the 80s 2 years later.

Originally Posted by Crazysimon

Picked up the game 5 months ago, play about 4 times a month. Never taken a lesson(looking for a teacher now), and was just wondering where I should be in turns of scoring. I hover around 105, and recently shot my lowest score (95). Is this a decent score for the length of been playing? Anyone in a similar spot as me?

That seems really good.  I have been playing about a year now and it took until this past month or so to get any consistency going. Finally shooting in the mid 90s pretty regularly now.

Originally Posted by CuppedTin

Take everything out of your bag higher than a 6 iron. Play every round with half swings... You will not do this, but if you did I think it would pay off dividends. The biggest problem I see with high handicappers is that the higher the club the faster the swing...

??? Yeah... I wouldn't recommend this.  There is something to be said for playing smart or whatever but to only use 6 iron and below is just dumb...  Golf requires long irons, woods, and drivers and if you are going to improve you gotta be able to hit them... Like I said above get lessons to improve, don't just avoid long clubs.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These other people are WAY golf-smarter than me....and I suck....however, I did exactly that.  I removed the driver and woods from my bag and have certainly improved!  Where I golf the driver was a crutch and I am now forced to hit the proper the proper iron.  Doing way better. But some will likely disagree because they are way golf smarter and that's what matters.

D.  Focus on being money with irons.  Know your 8i is your go to for 150, etc...

8i for 150 yards is very good for beginner.  My 7i can barely reach 150 in a good day and I've been playing the game for years.

My only advice to the beginners is to take a lesson from proffesional instructor. My kids have been playing for less than 2 years but started out  taking lesson from a pro. They are kickig my ass any time we play now and I have spent over ten years playing the game lol.

I'm only three months in, and my last scores for 9 holes (off the top of my head) have been 55, 56, 50, 53, and 52... I play 9 more than 18, but my last 18 have been 106, 113, and 110 IIRC.

So I am a little behind you, but not by a lot. I think you're doing very well for someone with only 5 months... I can only wish for a 95.

I'm currently looking for an instructor as well, and I'm hoping to break 100 by the end of September, which will be about 5 months for me, so I think we're right on track.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Originally Posted by trackster

You could take this practice shot and then just declare that you are playing a "Provisional" and then just pick up your provisional.  That would be totally legal.

Nope, totally not legal:

Originally Posted by USGA Rules/Decisions

27-2a/3  Play of Provisional Ball in Absence of Reasonable Possibility Original Ball Is Lost or Out of Bounds

Q. In the absence of reasonable possibility that a ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, may the player play a provisional ball?

A. No. If a player plays a ball under such circumstances, the ball is not a provisional ball but the ball in play — see Decision 27-2a/2.

Bill

What is considered reasonable then?

Do you *really* not know the answer to this? If you can see the ball after it stops rolling, there's no reasonable possibility it's lost. If was heading straight down the fairway before you lost it, there's no reasonable possibility it's lost. If you hit an approach shot and missed the green but you know it's within 10 yards left/right/short/long, there's no reasonable possibility it's lost. If you see it go into a hazard, it's in a hazard, rules prohibit hitting a provisional there regardless.

If you think you won't find your ball then you should play a provisional.

Which is a far cry from "just declare that you are playing a provisional" every time you want to hit a practice shot, which is what you suggested and is a clear violation of the rules.

Bill

You should be shooting even par, hitting 9/14 fairways and 15/18 greens.

On a serious note, it depends on many different variables. Their's really no such thing as "where you should be" at any point in golf. Just keep making yourself better and don't worry about it.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Originally Posted by Crazysimon

You're getting a lot of good playing and rules tips here. I'll just add one. Don't ground your club in a hazard (bunker, water hazard) like you're doing in your profile photo.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4635 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!