IGNORED

Anyone Watch Dalton McCrary's How to Hit the Golf Ball as Straight as You Can Point?

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My dad picked it up at a garage sale for me and well, my swing is a jumbled mess as it is right now with two different golf instructors, youtube vids, my own thoughts on my swing, CJ Goecks 10 tips, and the golf Master Key stuff all stuffed in my head. Is this even worth looking at?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap.  Now here's the deal with this tape series.  My best friend who is now deceased and I used to play back in the 90's.  Not very well either, especially me as I wasn't really into the game and mostly just drove the cart and drank PBR's.  Now my friend here after a day out  shooting about 100, decided that he was going to get serious about the game.  What he ended up doing is buying the full set of tapes from this fella, McCrary.

He ended up  going from about a 100 down to the mid 80's inside a year using these tapes.  He said it wasn't so much that he showed you how to swing but gave tips and ideas, drills etc to develop a consistent swing from tee to green that worked for you.  Inside of another year my buddy was shooting scratch in the 70's and before he had to quit playing.  The last round I believe he played he shot par at the Hornell CC on a very very hilly course, anyone that has played that course will tell ya how hilly it is.

Point being is that he swore by these tapes and said if you practice what is in the tapes even if you only take a couple things from them and concentrate on those things that work for you you will get better.  I just know he swore by them.  He also practiced much more than he played.  Ok so there ya go.  My buddy swore by this series of tapes, and he said the two biggest tips for developing a swing was swinging a baseball bat like a golf club and swinging a broom for a few minutes a day.  Also when he practiced which was OFTEN, he didn't hit anyting over 110 yds.  thanks

Watched the first two tapes out of four and have to say it's totally different from just about everything I've been taught. I like it though and am going to run with it and see what happens.

Struggled badly the first few times out at the range, but today, after watching tape 2 for the 3rd time, I'm finally understanding the swing a bit more. Definitely not doing things perfect, but I hit some really nice balls today. After understanding things a bit more, it feels way more natural, as opposed to how forced it was feeling the first two times out. Heading out to give it a try on the course on Thursday. Hitting my 5 and 7 only out there today and the majority of my shots went straight. Maybe not as straight where I aimed, but there was no slice or draw to the shots. I usually have a tough time slicing the 5, but there was really no slice to any of my shots. Hit a nice 200 yard 5 iron shot today that really had me smiling. I'm definitely sticking to this and giving it a go. Hopefully it will just keep getting better.

On a side note, that thread with 137 reviews just repeats the same 10-15 reviews over and over.

• 2 months later...

The Great Payne Stewart had a one and roll golf swing, as Daulton teaches...also check your golf club face for dirt in the grooves after you take a divot...the dirt should be equally in each groove...this is an upright swing and your clubs need to be upright...I am 5'10" and play 2 degree upright clubs using this swing...dirt is equally in the grooves...one and roll!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

some points: At the GolfReview.com website there are actually 127 reviews and they are not repeated. Try that site again

On the Dalton McCrary instruction:

I have made 3 of the postings at the Golf Review site, in praise of this teaching system. I purchased the offering in mid 90's after viewing an infomercial with the Kevin Trudeau fellow. Kevin later got into trouble with the USA feds about his advertising tactics but I do not believe Dalton's offering was involved in Trudeau's troubles.

I was 47 years old and an 8 hdcp when I purchased the videos. Immediately, I dove in fully and studied and practiced his teachings exactly as they were presented. I shared the videos with my low handicap buddies and no one took an interest. I stayed with the program. In the mail, I then received another video specifically showing the 15 drills that Dalton taught with his system. I believe they sent the drills video as a follow-on to the original purchase.

The original purchase also included a manual that is a very important part of learning the system. If you only got the 4 videos from the garage sale, you need to find the manual and the "drills" video. In addition, I have the Short Game video and the Secrets of the Flat Stick video. Eventually, I also purchased the "Automatic Swing Programmer" video which shows Dalton on a continuous loop making swings to the "one and roll" swing music. What a video that one is!!

I had the luxury of living in a country club community with 36 holes of golf and I had a personal golf cart also. This allowed me to practice my game almost every day either at the range or on the course. I practiced this entire system daily until it was no longer practice, it was my swing. I do not know if I "perfected" the swing but I do know this: I began to shoot scores below or near par and had two occasions of shooting 66 on a 6900 yard course. And I continued to play extraordinary golf using my one-and-roll system. But, by that time, I no longer shared my videos or my learning with my low handicap golf buddies. But I did hear comments such as "how do you hit the ball so damn straight?" They had their chance as now I was too selfish to share my secret.

I am now 64 years old and still have my most success with the one-and-roll system I learned from Dalton's videos and book. Over the years, I have studied more golf than I care to remember as it was such an interesting subject to me. I have seen more videos than I care to remember. And here is the part I find so interesting to this thread, just this week I dug out all my Dalton stuff and watched it all and practiced it all again. I then decided to once again use only the Straight Shooting swing. Today I went to the range in 55* degree weather with a 15K breeze from the north. Because of the weather, I was the lone ranger at the practice tee which stretches about 100 yards wide. Every 8' or so is another practice station with a pyramid of practice balls all perfectly stacked up.

I decided to use the range line as my target line and began hitting lob wedges down the range line. I would purposely aim and hit one ball 5' right of the line and the next ball 5' left of the line of stacked balls. No one else was there and I was grinning widely as I continued my fun. I then decided to try to knock over some pyramid stacks down the range line. Well, I never hit a stack but I did pepper that range line.

I hit 8 irons onto the practice greens and then powdered my driver no more than 15 yards either side of the far flag target. As Dalton says in his video "I had become a machine". My two keys with the swing is the slow speed of the movement to the "one" position and the rotation of the left forearm heading to the "roll" position and impact.

I see Dalton is on this thread. See if he can help you find the manual and the "drills" video. They are most important. I know that Ebay also has offerings on Dalton's old stuff, but do not know how complete the package is at the sales site.

As with everything, Dalton's system has some criticism at the review forums. As for me, this teaching took me to high levels of golf and I have enjoyed the mystery of my game to my golfing competitors. Stick with your study and practice. It really is simple.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Administrator
Originally Posted by Mordan

Wow 5 posters with only one post each in a row. And the final one trying to sell something.

Last one deleted as spam.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got the videos about 4 years ago.  I was hitting 100 - 110 a round and hit my first sub 90 on my next game after watching the videos.  I dropped from 36+ to 16 handicap in 1 month.  I was into single figures before my twins came along.  After having twins 3 years ago, I haven't been playing more than 1 or 2 rounds a year, but I am still consistently straight even though I have lost accuracy of distance to the hole from intermittent play.  That just means I sometimes hit over the top of the flag and out the back, and other times I am chipping in from in front of the green.  I played 9 holes for the first time in 6 months in January and was 6 over at the end of the 9 holes.

These videos were the best investment I have ever made in golf.  For those who are older there is a similar technique from Doug Tewell with his Square to Square method.  It is so much more enjoyable playing golf when you are not hunting through the woods, but instead strolling down the fairway.

Do these videos have a hypnotic element that convinces people that they should join The Sand Trap and post in this thread as their first post? It's uncanny.

I've struggled with a rounded swing for years with very inconsistent results and a big slice. I started using Daltons technique about 18 months ago. I haven't yet reduced my handicap (12) but I feel much better with the technique. It makes so much sense to me, and I do enjoy Daltons videos - they're really entertaining either though they're a bit dated now. If I could sort out my putting I'm sure I'd be down to 10. I have not been able to master Daltons wristy putting technique - I tried it but couldn't develop any feel for distance. Im very happy with Daltons method. I probably should adjust my clubs to make them upright but I haven't bothered.

[QUOTE name="Mordan" url="/t/52189/anyone-watch-dalton-mccrarys-how-to-hit-the-golf-ball-as-straight-as-you-can-point#post_815971"] Do these videos have a hypnotic element that convinces people that they should join The Sand Trap and post in this thread as their first post? It's uncanny. [/QUOTE] [QUOTE name="herbert1804" url="/t/52189/anyone-watch-dalton-mccrarys-how-to-hit-the-golf-ball-as-straight-as-you-can-point#post_815978"] I've struggled with a rounded swing for years with very inconsistent results and a big slice. I started using Daltons technique about 18 months ago. I haven't yet reduced my handicap (12) but I feel much better with the technique. It makes so much sense to me, and I do enjoy Daltons videos - they're really entertaining either though they're a bit dated now. If I could sort out my putting I'm sure I'd be down to 10. I have not been able to master Daltons wristy putting technique - I tried it but couldn't develop any feel for distance. Im very happy with Daltons method. I probably should adjust my clubs to make them upright but I haven't bothered.[/QUOTE] And another one......!! Maybe no one will notice......  :whistle:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!