IGNORED

lesser known custom club makers, opinions, info, comparison

Note: This thread is 3559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by inthecup

Erik, any eta on the review?  Just curious.

Yeah, I suck lately. By the end of August. Firm. I'm making myself.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Site to drool over! http://www.tourspecgolf.com/

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

• Administrator

Originally Posted by inthecup

Firm

August 2012, clearly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by mlf16507

Site to drool over!        http://www.tourspecgolf.com/

Japan is an interesting market.  I water ski and the saying goes if you can't ski at least look good on the dock.

They like the exotic.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to sound like a broken record since I am new to this board. But I was introduced to KZG Custom Proline by a fitter back in Pennsylvania as I am from the New Jersey area. I now go with the new Forged MA-1 iron series. I had the OC-2s which is a cast iron which I fell in love with. But there really is no comparing forged and cast irons. Now that I have some money saved up, I decided to upgrade and go with the forged. The MAs are a nice look and perform pretty well. I would definately recommend them.

I am a big fan and supported of custom fitting. I know it helped me out with my game. As I was an awful golfer. Since I was custom it, I feel like my swing is more consistant as I am not trying to adjust my swing to the club that I am using.

• 2 months later...

Hahaha.

I got a little something for the thread. New Wishon 575MMC coming out in Jan. Going to be a mixed set, forged, short blade length and constant, minimal offset. 3 - 7 cavity back, 8 - GW blade -- the hook is both will be CNC machined, allegedly the first time that's been done with blades. No pictures yet, but TW says they're hawt and, as a fanboy, I choose to believe him.

Quote:

Today I just opened the box with the final final version of our brand new forged carbon steel irons with their fully CNC milled back and man, please excuse me for saying this, but if the new 575MMC irons are not the most gorgeous forging in the game, then put me out to pasture!  A fully transitional back design from long to short iron, thanks to new advances in using a CNC machining center to create the entire back design, every iron in the 575MMC changes in back design through the set.

No, the 575MMC do not replace the 560MC.  560MC is still the best game improvement forged carbon steel iron yet made and we have no plans to replace it – well we might have a little new cosmetic tweak planned for the 560MC for 2012, but that’s another story.  The 575MMC are designed for a low handicap golfer who realizes he cannot play a full muscleback set and wants some game improvement but not too much.  Seriously, I can’t wait to show the 575MMC – never ever before will you have seen a classic, compact blade length forging with looks like this!

Few more details from the horse's mouth:

Quote:
Stretch:

Specific to your question, the 575MMC have a 76mm blade length through the set while the 555C/555M combo has a 79mm blade length through the set. Some golfers prefer that more compact blade length, so that's one difference. Many forged irons are designed with blade lengths below 79mm these days, so the 575's 76mm blade lengths allow us to offer golfers something more compact to meet that potential desire.

555C/555M allows the golfer to put the break between cavity [C] and muscleback (M) anywhere in the set makeup they desire - since we tooled the 555C's in #2 - SW and the 555M's in #3-SW, the golfer can choose to go cavity down to wherever he wants and then take the muscles on from there.

575MMC starts its life as a "frozen" mix and match set of cavity to muscleback in the sense that the set is tooled to offer cavity to the 7 iron, then muscle from the 8 onward to the wedges. IF. . . if there is more demand through 2012 to broaden the break in the cavity to muscle set makeup, we may then tool the rest of the cavitys from 8 to wedges and we may tool the rest of the muscles from the 7 up to the long irons. We'll just have to wait and see the reaction on that.

But also there is one other element of a more "selfish nature", or other wise described as Tom wanting to try something that hadn't been done before!!! HA! Back when we did the 560MC forged irons, this was the first time anyone had used CNC machining to literally cut out the entire back cavity shape from a raw blank back forging. I did that simply to push the MOI and off center hit forgiveness of a forging higher than had been done before.

All other cavity back forgings up to this time and most made since, all form the back cavity in the same forging process used to shape the whole head. When you forge, you simply "push metal somewhere else" - you never remove any metal. Hence there is a definite limit in terms of how deep you can make the back cavity. Through traditional forging, you cannot make the back cavity come anywhere close to the depth you see on investment cast irons - and because of this, you cannot make the MOI or the off center hit forgiveness in a traditional forged cavity back iron to come anywhere close to that of an investment cast iron.

560MC's proved that we could offer the "best of both worlds" - true soft carbon steel forging but with a super deep back cavity for top level off center hit performance.

But no one had ever tried to do a CNC machined muscleback before - and while that's not a huge deal for performance as it is with a CNC machined deep cavity back, it still is something that I was curious to see if we could do and end up making a really good looking and playing muscleback. So that's why I said I did this 575MMC for somewhat "selfish reasons" - to see if we could do a good looking/playing blade by CNC machining the back of a raw forging.

Sometimes you have to have fun too when you design heads!!!!!

TOM

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

. . . as a fanboy . . .

You'd pretty much have to be to get through that in one read, eh?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I like minutiae. Hoser.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 1 year later...

23 Jul -

Gents -

Anyone heard of/know of Handcraft Golf Co, Westbury, NY?  Co used to make woods.  Clubs were considered THE woods to own (the driver, in particular) if you were any kind of player.

Have hoped to find a driver.  At last, even after all these years, want to hit one.  Was a HS player when Handcraft was in business, and never had the $ to buy.  Often drool over them on the "Used CLub" shelf at Bethpage Park.

Look forward to hearing -

Thanks -

Madisonaflac -

Originally Posted by madisonaflac

23 Jul -

Gents -

Anyone heard of/know of Handcraft Golf Co, Westbury, NY?  Co used to make woods.  Clubs were considered THE woods to own (the driver, in particular) if you were any kind of player.

Have hoped to find a driver.  At last, even after all these years, want to hit one.  Was a HS player when Handcraft was in business, and never had the $ to buy.  Often drool over them on the "Used CLub" shelf at Bethpage Park.

Look forward to hearing -

Thanks -

Madisonaflac -

Never heard of them.  Guess I was never any kind of a player.......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

They all make really great stuff, I know of several tour players that play scratch or tourstage clubs. My dad is a custom club dealer and fits clubs for people and does club repair so I've been around this industry for my whole life. I feel that I like some of these clubs (scratch, miura, tourstage) more than the big guys. my dad really deals with Wishon and Infiniti which also make really good stuff. If you have any questions feel free to ask, either me or my dad could probably answer it. Thanks for posting this

They all make really great stuff, I know of several tour players that play scratch or tourstage clubs. My dad is a custom club dealer and fits clubs for people and does club repair so I've been around this industry for my whole life. I feel that I like some of these clubs (scratch, miura, tourstage) more than the big guys. my dad really deals with Wishon and Infiniti which also make really good stuff. If you have any questions feel free to ask, either me or my dad could probably answer it. Thanks for posting this

I play a 51* Scratch wedge that I really like. Haven't tried any of their other irons. mQuality of the wedge is first rate though.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I owned a Scratch set of forged wedges, maybe 2 sets when I was at my ho'ing worst. The grooves wore too fast and the grind I needed was insanely overpriced They came out w/ the 8620 cast and that was one small club head w/ limited options

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I play a 51* Scratch wedge that I really like. Haven't tried any of their other irons. mQuality of the wedge is first rate though.....

Scratch clubs look really good, I really like the look of their wedges and irons. Some tour pros use their stuff, and have been successful

Note: This thread is 3559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!