IGNORED

No more 'Gimmies'

Note: This thread is 4610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With the help of my very horrible first tournament scoring, I've decided to putt everything on the golf course. I know for some that is always a given, but I'd often find myself just giving myself my 2-3 even 4 footers at times. PLaying partners would say "that's good just pick it up" and I was happy I didn't have to putt it!

For the last 5 weeks (roughly 14-15 rounds) I've been putting everything. 2 inches, 2 feet it doesn't matter, and it has been the best golfing decision I've ever made! Making the 2-3 footers to make par just builds so much confidence that I'm making a lot more of my 6-10 footers that I normally think, "just a two putt". That success has carried over even more and I'm making much higher percentage putts from everywhere. Before I went to this, I'd often have 3-4 3 Putts a round, and the last 3 rounds combined, I've only had 1.

I'm sure it's an obvious point for many of us, but I thought I'd point it out for some of the new people, or even people that use gimmies. It is a huge boost to make all those putts!

My Home Course: http://chilliwackgolf.com/

In my Taylormade Bag:

The Big Stick: Calloway FT-I / Mini Big Stick: Calloway FT

2HY - Nickent 4DX IW

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade Burner 09

52' - Cleveland CG 15

56' Cleveland CG 12

60- Wilson Unknown.

Money Maker - Odessy White Hot Tour #5

I'm with you, you've got to hole everything. A 1 inch putt is worth the same as a 300 yard drive, and nobody has given me a 300 yard drive as yet!

Until about 2 years ago, I was a poor putter 4 feet and in. By not taking gimmies and practicing them under pressure, I've now become a very good putter from that distance. And you are right, it helps your long distance putting as you are no longer afraid to leave yourself a short putt.

A good way to make sure you hole everything is to play stroke play against your buddies not match play, and always mark your ball and give the putt the time and consideration it deserves.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

When I first started I remember I used to take gimmies and mulligans all the time and never thought twice about it. Ever since I started golfing competitively I never realized how much higher you're scores are without mulligans and gimmies. Glad I got rid of that style of play after just one season of golf. Never looked back since.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

With the help of my very horrible first tournament scoring, I've decided to putt everything on the golf course. I know for some that is always a given, but I'd often find myself just giving myself my 2-3 even 4 footers at times. PLaying partners would say "that's good just pick it up" and I was happy I didn't have to putt it!

For the last 5 weeks (roughly 14-15 rounds) I've been putting everything. 2 inches, 2 feet it doesn't matter, and it has been the best golfing decision I've ever made! Making the 2-3 footers to make par just builds so much confidence that I'm making a lot more of my 6-10 footers that I normally think, "just a two putt". That success has carried over even more and I'm making much higher percentage putts from everywhere. Before I went to this, I'd often have 3-4 3 Putts a round, and the last 3 rounds combined, I've only had 1.

I'm sure it's an obvious point for many of us, but I thought I'd point it out for some of the new people, or even people that use gimmies. It is a huge boost to make all those putts!

"That's good, just pick it up"... I overheard JD say this many times at the Dancing Rabbit... Until the 16th hole where he made his opponent putt out a 2 footer that just so happened to be worth about 80k... Long story short he missed the putt! If you give yourself anything you are admitting defeat... IMO

IMO, there's no better sound than when the ball hits the bottom of the cup.  So, I don't want someone (or myself) denying me the satisfaction of hearing it.  For me, that sound signals a triumphant moment (par, birdie, eagle or heck, at my level, bogey can be good too) or it signals the end of my frustration / humiliation (double, triple or worse).  Either way, it's a sound that I worked hard for and I want to hear it.

• Upvote 1

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

You will greatly improve your game without *gimmies* - I used to play with a kid that counted everything within 6 feet as good - whether he made it in or not. This lead to a serious vanity cap and a golfer that couldnt make 4 foot putts in a tourney. To make matters worse, he would laugh at others that missed short putts as he counted his misses as good. Needless to say, we both have new golf groups now.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The guy I play golf with is always giving me putts because I had the right line or it was "close enough."  I'll admit I will occasionally take them if I am having a bad day, but it generally irritates me a bit and I insist on holing the ball even if it is 2 inches from the hole and I count the final stroke.  My goal is to improve my game with actual results rather than fool myself into thinking I am improving while taking 5 "gimmies" during a round.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

My regulars(we've seen each other putt a millon times) will give putts on 2 footers but we all still putt them out and make them.  The only time we give a true gimmie is when one person is having a terrible, terrible hole and we just wait til they get close and call it good...I'm talking an 8, 9, or worse score.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I personally dont like when people give me gimmie putts.  I like being able to hole-out and hear the ball rattle around the cup.  Unless Im having a REALLY bad putting round, things just seem unfinished if I dont hole-out.

Im all for gimmie putts if there is a group pushing you but if not, theres no reason.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, everybody really should putt out all the time. No, I don't really want to stand in the fairway watching each of the four ball in front of me painstakingly plumb bob each of their two footers all the way round.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, everybody really should putt out all the time. No, I don't really want to stand in the fairway watching each of the four ball in front of me painstakingly plumb bob each of their two footers all the way round.

+1..nothing drives me crazier than a 4some who mark every putt, wait til its their turn before they do anything, and then they all STAND RIGHT AROUND THE HOLE putting cleat marks everywhere and making it bumpy for everyone behind them.

• Upvote 1

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

could of shaved 10 shots last night using gimmes, even playing solo i decided not to, felt better for being honest, crappy for being so bad a tputting :P

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

The rule for us is, if you're away, and you putt and don't make it, and the ball isn't really intruding too much on someone's line, just go up and finish it. Saves a good 10 minutes a round; every little bit helps.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I dont know about you all, but I just like watching the ball go in the hole from any distance :)

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

There are gimmes in match play. Not stroke play. In social play, a gimme is usually taken because the player thinks he might miss it. It rarely saves time, is not in the spirit of the game, and is the reason why so many casual golfers think they play off 12 but are closer to 27. Anyone who takes gimmes and submits scores for a handicap is a cheat.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I stood in the fairway and watched four guys all putting and putting. In the end, three of them stood around the hole and each putted and pulled the ball out of the hole without moving their feet. Just bent down from where they were standing when they hit the putt. That means all three were within 10 inches from the hole at the most. This does take time. If they were in some sort of tournament, then fine (even so, just finish faster).

We play match-play. Always give putts inside a foot. You telling me that if a guy hits it to within six inches out of a bunker that it does not save time to concede that putt?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by djackson89

With the help of my very horrible first tournament scoring, I've decided to putt everything on the golf course. I know for some that is always a given, but I'd often find myself just giving myself my 2-3 even 4 footers at times. PLaying partners would say "that's good just pick it up" and I was happy I didn't have to putt it!

I still consider myself "new" after 5 years, and unless there's some major rush or a backup (where a gimme may be the courteous thing to do) I'll putt everything I can.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Note: This thread is 4610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!