IGNORED

Best of the New Drivers???

Note:Β This thread is 6220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

R7 Superquad vs Titleist 907 vs Callaway FT5 vs Nike SUMO

I am looking to upgrade from the Titleist 905T that I have been using for the past two years....finally ready to use a 460cc club....which would you buy if money was not a factor???

In My Bag

Taylormade Burner 09 TP 9.5 Fujikura REAX 65 S
Cleveland Launcher 2009 15 UST V2 75 S
Cleveland Launcher Steel 19 UST V2 75 STitleist 585 H 21 Aldila VS Proto STaylormade R7 TP 4-PW DG S300 StiffTaylormade TP Satin 54 and 58Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2Taylormade TP...

I will definitely NOT buy Nike SuMo... Callaway FT5 has a real ugly headcover but performs well so I guess you could change the head cover to something else and upgrade the shaft if E360 is not up to your taste.... 907D2 looks nice with GD YS6+ shaft or of course an upgraded shaft... Superquad TP has nice packaging and great head cover... Good shaft too...

I guess my vote will goto 907D2 or Superquad TP... If money wasn't a factor... TM r7 Superquad TP with Diamana Blue shaft or GD Tour AD...
Driver
909D2 9.5ΒΊ w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5ΒΊ w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5ΒΊ w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I'd definitely buy the Callaway. The FT-3 and FT-5 are great clubs. Long and forgiving. Getting fit for loft and shaft is important. Just my personal preference.

Jeff

10.5Β° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18Β°,Β 20Β°,Β 23Β° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48Β° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54Β°, 58Β° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will definitely NOT buy Nike SuMo... Callaway FT5 has a real ugly headcover but performs well so I guess you could change the head cover to something else and upgrade the shaft if E360 is not up to your taste.... 907D2 looks nice with GD YS6+ shaft or of course an upgraded shaft... Superquad TP has nice packaging and great head cover... Good shaft too...

You wouldn't buy a Callaway because it has "a real ugly headcover"???

I know it's not part of your list, but I was getting fitted for a new Odyssey SRT putter a few weeks back, and hit the Ping Rapture driver. It was very solid feeling and long. The pro I was getting fitted with was down at Ping in Arizona in early March, and was playing with another pro who was getting another 25-30 yards with the Rapture. The other thing is it has a tremendous sound off the club face. I also hit the Callaway FT 5 and new TM Superquad, but liked the Rapture the best. Ping is up here next Friday for a demo day and I'm off to get fit on the launch monitor.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blueΒ dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34"Β 

Thats exactly what I was thinking, don't take advice from people that go just on looks, espacially if its the head cover lol. Different drivers are made for different handicaps, thats one thing that ppl do not realize. Yes the sumo is kind of an annoying sound but who cares about that if you're in the fairway everytime. I'm not a big callaway guy, and did not like the R7 superquad at all even though it looks cool and all. I would go with the 460cc Nike Sumo it's a great club, or one the new cobra's great club at address.

Well, I already bought the one I'd buy if I hadn't already bought it... (I can't believe I just typed that convoluted sentence).

Anyway, the Callaway FTi is developing into my favorite club... I'm not sure I ever considered any driver to be my fav before, but this one is changing my outlook on the tee. For me it's long, it's as easy to control as any driver I've ever hit, and you CAN work the ball with it, contrary to some opinions I've read about it. Great club and you owe it to yourself to at least give it a test.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What I would like to see are some comparisons of the Callaway and TM against the Nike Sumo Sasquatch (non-square, similar to what Tiger uses).

Regardless, I'm hearing a lot of excellent things about the TM Superquad. I've seen it in action and it appears to be the real deal that I may have to check out.

If you don't mind the square head. I have tested the SUMO2 and the Callaway back to back. The NIKE had got to be the straightest, most forgiving club I have ever tried. Coupled with the 55 gram shaft, LOOONG is all I can say. Sounds loud, but it might be because I was swinging it much faster than I usually swing. I feel comfortable killing every shot with 100% of my power, because the clubface is super wide. Much wider than the Callaway. even mis-hits go straight. I didnt try to work the ball with it. I imagine it would be dificult to work the ball. If you want to work the ball I'd bet the Callaway would be much easier than the NIKE.

Only complaint is the price.

FOOOORE!!!

I'd get the Callaway. Actually I'd see if I could get a nice deal on a FT-3. Great driver. Second I'd give to Taylor Made Superquad. No thanks to the Nike. Ping Rapture is solid too but could get a nice deal on a G5 and not sure the Rapture is worth the extra dolla bills. Cleveland HiBore also performs really well, although I don't like the looks of it. Really, there are a lot of drivers out there that will peform very similar, you just have to hit them and find the right shaft with them.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

You are American and you can't even read English properly? Read again

Callaway FT5 is a great club. In fact I am testing 907D1 and FT5 to see which one I will be getting. FT5 does really have an ugly head cover though... But if money wasn't the issue I would like to get the r7 Superquad TP which is what this thread is about...
Driver
909D2 9.5ΒΊ w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5ΒΊ w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5ΒΊ w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Remeber ......If money was not an issue which club would you get.....I can justify paying extra for the one I want if I keep it for a few years and helps me bring my score down.....I am leaning heavily for the 907D1 but will give others a shot....not too keen on the FT5 sound .....wish the TM superquad had a different shaft (will not be custom ordering)

In My Bag

Taylormade Burner 09 TP 9.5 Fujikura REAX 65 S
Cleveland Launcher 2009 15 UST V2 75 S
Cleveland Launcher Steel 19 UST V2 75 STitleist 585 H 21 Aldila VS Proto STaylormade R7 TP 4-PW DG S300 StiffTaylormade TP Satin 54 and 58Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2Taylormade TP...

I you want a perfect club for your swing, I don't think an off the rack club is going to do it. Might I sugest having one custom built? If you don't mind component clubs, I highly recommend the SMT line of driver heads. Theyve won a number of long drive championships and have an awsome reputation. I have never seen, heard, or read any complaints about them or their products. On top of that, they have lifetime warranty on all their club heads! Thats just unheard of.

Mate the head to a fitted shaft to your swing. You will have one solid driver.
You can even customize the color of the head.

http://www.smtgolf.com/

I personaly play their 23 deg. hybrid head mated with GS75 stiff. I call this club my "magic stick" Balls just explode off the face of this baby. Super consistant, considering the saft I'm using which is to whippy for my swing. When I Kill it, 200+ yards carry. Gripping to the lowest point of the grip, I can consistanly hit a high flier to 150 yds using a smooth 3/4 swing. High ball, Low ball, cut, and draw can be easily done. Mind you, I started playing golf in april, 2006 and have a hadicap of 25. Just to give an idea of how playable this thing is. Enough boasting about my magic stick...

Anyways..., they make some good stuff over there. Definatly worth a try. I will be building a 455 driver and a 19 deg avocet in the future. Once i have enough extra cash. I'm sure they will help you select the right driver for your game if you contact their service department.

edit: BTW my average Driver carry is 235 yds. 250 w/roll.

FOOOORE!!!

Is there really just one? This weekend I played and between the four of us we had the following drivers in our bags:

My SUMO 2

Callaway FT-i

New Cobra Speed Driver

Callaway FT-5

It was a real slow day, so we were all hitting multiple drives and almost every hole trying all the clubs.

And the winner was?............I don't know!

I think most of the new clubs made today are so good that it's all going to come down to just one's personal preference. After hitting 4 tee shots on each of the 14 holes with four different drivers I am now convinced that the "Best Driver" on the market doesn't exist...the only thing that matters is what feels best in your hands!

yeah, he's right. Picking an unbias sole winner is impossible. There are a handfull of great drivers out there. Generally, there are a bunch that perform great and then the consumer picks based on brand preference, price and simply trying the club out (which might bring the decision back to #1 and #2). Shaft is key... get the right shaft then you may as well make a blindfolded selection of a group of heads.

That's an expensive foursome you had there

I have a Nike SQ Sumo (not the square one) and absolutely love it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices you listed though. It's probably just a matter of personal choice when it comes to these high end drivers.

For me, the Nike is forgiving, and very long if you hit it in the sweet spot.
Jody B.

Cobra Speed Pro S 9.5 X-Stiff
Cleveland Hibore XLS 3WTaylor Made Super Steel 5W (Steel Shaft)Cleveland Hibore XLS 3 Hybrid (Steel Shaft)Titleist AP1 5-GapCleveland CG14 56Cleveland CG14 60Odyssey 3Ball 33" Putter

I just tried a Callaway FT-5 at the weekend. Truly amazing driver - straight and long. I never been so confident with driver in hand as I was with the demo that I tried (10 deg, draw bias). I am definitely buying one of these - and soon. Club pro advised that it is important to ensure that you are fit for this as there are several options available.

Note:Β This thread is 6220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!